Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I decided to add a trailer hitch on my Bronco. I was tired off asking friends who have hitches to help with trash removal etc. My wife of 50 years says to me We don't need a trailer hitch ...waste of money as we would never use it. I told he that we may want to buy bicycles and we can take the bikes with us on trips. BICYCLES !! she says ... WE are in our 70's ... I'm not riding any bicycle. I jokingly said... my girlfriend might. ... didn't.go over well needless to say.My dog still loves me.
Ford Bronco Decided to install Trailer Hitch 1612836097155
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tommy

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
$ 5,000.00 !! Don't the realize how much an average person has to work to earn that amount. After market competition will save you a ton of $$$

Ironjamzz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I decided to add a trailer hitch on my Bronco. I was tired off asking friends who have hitches to help with trash removal etc. My wife of 50 years says to me We don't need a trailer hitch ...waste of money as we would never use it. I told he that we may want to buy bicycles and we can take the bikes with us on trips. BICYCLES !! she says ... WE are in our 70's ... I'm not riding any bicycle. I jokingly said... my girlfriend might. ... didn't.go over well needless to say.My dog still loves me.
I'm going on 32 years of my wife putting up with crap. Good to know that I have a chance at 50. lol

kodathedog

Badlands
First Name
Koda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you plan on putting bikes on the back, you may need to put an extension on the carrier to clear the spare tire.
That will reduce the amount of weight you can carry back there.

Bronco Beard

Base
First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350, Subaru Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Base
OK help me out here. (I did not run this thru the search function, sorry if it's been covered on other threads) The accessory sheet includes on page 1, " MB3Z-19D520-A Trailer Hitch Kit- Assembly" for $350.00. Does anyone know any specifics, class etc.

Ok info from another forum indicated the hitch is probably the same but without installation and per-wiring. I'm pretty sure after-market options are still much cheaper than $350.00.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tom was a fine man, he helped me build a fence. RIP Tom. :)

Seriously, I bought my Jeep off the lot. It had everything I wanted except the hitch. I thought, no big deal, buy one, and install it. How hard can it be? The hitch on the Jeep has 4 bolts that run through the framework. 2 already there, the other comes with the hitch. Well the easy part ended there. The 2 stock bolts while easy to get too have the nuts welded to the frame. So, the aftermarket can slide in place. To get it on properly the rear bumper has to be removed to be able to get those damnable nuts cut off (I know that sounds bad to us men :) ). Since I was only going to use the hitch for a bike rack I just cut the 2 wings off so I could slide it on the frame. But, if I want to tow something I'm SOL, because the hitch isn't strong enough now. Moral of the story, sometimes it ain't as easy as it looks.

The wife knew of this dilemma, and when ask about a trailer hitch for the Bronco she said, "Get it, you don't want the same mess you have with the Jeep". Smart woman.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tom was a fine man, he helped me build a fence. RIP Tom. :)

Seriously, I bought my Jeep off the lot. It had everything I wanted except the hitch. I thought, no big deal, buy one, and install it. How hard can it be? The hitch on the Jeep has 4 bolts that run through the framework. 2 already there, the other comes with the hitch. Well the easy part ended there. The 2 stock bolts while easy to get too have the nuts welded to the frame. So, the aftermarket can slide in place. To get it on properly the rear bumper has to be removed to be able to get those damnable nuts cut off (I know that sounds bad to us men :) ). Since I was only going to use the hitch for a bike rack I just cut the 2 wings off so I could slide it on the frame. But, if I want to tow something I'm SOL, because the hitch isn't strong enough now. Moral of the story, sometimes it ain't as easy as it looks.

The wife knew of this dilemma, and when ask about a trailer hitch for the Bronco she said, "Get it, you don't want the same mess you have with the Jeep". Smart woman.
Everything you say makes perfect sense . . . it's just so hard to reconcile being charged $595 for so little. Compare the trailer option on the Wrangler. It's $200 more, sure, but it includes a higher output alternator, higher capacity battery AND the Aux switches in addition to the hitch and wiring. $595 for a basic Class II hitch and basic wiring just seems like such a money grab. That said, while I don't currently have it on my order it's pretty likely I'll end up amending the order and adding it just to avoid potential issues like the ones you raised. Of course given my probably very late delivery I'll have the benefit of learning from others that opted to add an aftermarket solution and determine what's best.

If Ford charged $395 for this it would be a no brainer for me.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's all relative. I was looking at a Volvo XC40 for mom - who will never us a hitch - and I looked into it on the off chance I end up with the car someday. $1500 factory installed. Maybe I am biased from looking at imports but the Bronco price seems very reasonable especially considering the wiring is done too.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Everything you say makes perfect sense . . . it's just so hard to reconcile being charged $595 for so little. Compare the trailer option on the Wrangler. It's $200 more, sure, but it includes a higher output alternator, higher capacity battery AND the Aux switches in addition to the hitch and wiring. $595 for a basic Class II hitch and basic wiring just seems like such a money grab. That said, while I don't currently have it on my order it's pretty likely I'll end up amending the order and adding it just to avoid potential issues like the ones you raised. Of course given my probably very late delivery I'll have the benefit of learning from others that opted to add an aftermarket solution and determine what's best.

I agree. It seems that $595, or close is the going rate at most all manufacturer's. Before I bought my Ranger I built a Chebby Colorado. The B/P shows the hitch for $250. But, when you click it a pop up says you have to order the locking rear end. Boooom, $575. :)

Thankfully there are YouTube video's on installing an aftermarket hitch on the Ranger. EZPZ, no surprises, so I ordered a Draw tite from eTrailer for $127 bucks (on sale). About 30 minutes later it was on the truck. No YouTube for the Bronco's, so instead of chancing it I just bit the bullet.
Sponsored