Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got one in my 2017 F150. It really makes the truck what it is. Smart management and great gear selection. Also blocking out gears can be done without any special programming. They did a great job on it.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Lots of black magic happening in modern automatics these days! Thank you so much for looking into this info, sharing it with us and helping bring more valuable content to the forum!!!!

For those looking forward to the 10-speed transmission "learn" feature, it would be good to remember what it's actual design goal and engineering objective is. And that is to smooth throttle out, shift as early as possible and keep you in as high of a gear as can be attained without you forcing it into manumatic mode and downshifting all for the sole benefit of fuel economy.

Absolutely maddening in the 2019 Ranger to be cruising at 30 mph in 9th gear and encounter elevation change or the need to downshift 5 gears to maintain 30 mph. The only comparison I could give to anybody capable of driving a manual would be to roll from the line in 2nd, skip 3rd at 20 mph to get into 4th, ride 4th until 30 mph, then shift into 5th or 6th (whatever your transmission allows). That should net you about 6/10th of a MPG improvement under ideal conditions. Now do that in all conditions without fail and enjoy your driving experience.

Put your Ranger or F-150 into tow mode or sport mode so it can hold a gear longer and you'll quickly be amazed at how potent these motors are and how the transmission neuters the vehicle upon the altar of CAFE.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the 10-speed in my F150. I have heavy 35" MT tires, tow with it and all done at higher elevations and steep mountain passes with no overheating issues.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can someone explain why they went with 10 instead of oh say 7 or 8? Preferably in non gear head language

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can someone explain why they went with 10 instead of oh say 7 or 8? Preferably in non gear head language
Keeps the engine in the optimum powerband during acceleration and then gives you a low RPM cruising gear for fuel mileage.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And the good thing is i've only worked on a handfull of these transmissions(surprising as its a coop with garbage motors)

OP
OP
ac360

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is weird. This thread was posted by me a month ago. The system is labeling it as a new thread that is started today on my computer??

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is weird. This thread was posted by me a month ago. The system is labeling it as a new thread that is started today on my computer??
Admins can refresh existing threads or earlier posted content in other threads to gain increased visibility. Happened to me yesterday on Jay's SEMA video. I buried the response in another thread and never gained the visibility. Admins pulled my post and created a new thread. That same response that was duplicated as a new thread has received 5 pages of comments.

Or what @North7 said.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ac360

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Admins can refresh existing threads or earlier posted content in other threads to gain increased visibility. Happened to me yesterday on Jay's SEMA video. I buried the response in another thread and never gained the visibility. Admins pulled my post and created a new thread. That same response that was duplicated as a new thread has received 5 pages of comments.

Or what @North7 said.
That explains it. Thanks.

Hopefully, the thread refresh will give more people who are interested in this kind of things more insight into the auto transmission.

And for those who are worry about the plastic transmission pan, know that there is an aftermarket solution.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That explains it. Thanks.

Hopefully, the thread refresh will give more people who are interested in this kind of things more insight into the auto transmission.

And for those who are worry about the plastic transmission pan, know that there is an aftermarket solution.
Absolutely. I know that I missed it the first time. I appreciate the "refresh" and your effort in compiling the links on this deep dive.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

+1 on loving this trans, mine is paired with the 2.7.

So excited for this combo in a 2-door with doors and top off.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That extra fluid and cooling capacity would be a big benefit to hard off roading or long cruises on southern interstates. I wonder if there would be any impact to factory warrantee?
Pretty sure Ford has been testing it with far more severe duty than 99.9999% of any of us will do to it.

As long as you maintained the proper amount of fluid, there wouldn't be a warranty issue. But you'll either need to maintain the fluid yourself or remind anyone who works on it that it no longer uses the factory-specified amount.
Sponsored