Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it is designed for that depth from the factory why would the breathers need to be extended?
Wasn't there a debate as to what they meant. meaning just because Ford said it can go 30", it didn't mean you wouldn't have to flush out your diffs afterwards.

I guess my point is when a factory sets a water fording depth, are we certain the Ford is saying all the breather lines ALSO have been tweaked to match?

So no worries about shutters, low hanging alternators...etc.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
you don't need to relocate the breathers. on my Raptor, the rear diff breather is routed and sits right under the bed. In order to get above it you would have to submerge the entire back tire. Doing this means you are way past what is recommended.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Invest in your $$ in a rear diff that can be easily drained and refilled without removing the diff cover. The oem diff cover does not have a drain so if you are the type who reg submerges your diff then replace the oem one. This is what I have on my Raptor.

Ford Bronco Deep Water Crossings / Fording 1621608505858

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked where the vents were for said components at the event on the 10th and have not heard back. This is a big deal to me.

Air inlet is right side under the hood as shown in the pic. They told us the inlet tube from the opening to the air filter box has a purposely built in drop and valve to allow water to drain before it turns into a hydro lock problem. I'm sure there are limitations to how much water it can take before it's unable to keep up but there is an additional layer built into the system.

Ford Bronco Deep Water Crossings / Fording 1621609010786

Last edited:

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't upload the video but the guides basically said you need to go fast enough to create a bow wave which creates a trough so not as much water get's into the engine bay area. Too fast and you are pushing water over the hood and creating a situation where water enters the air intake or fuse/smart junction box. I know this is nothing new for folks with experience but makes sense but it allows us to educate customers that have little or no experience, like myself. Last thing anyone wants is explain is why the engine is locked up after driving it like they do in the commercials.

OP
OP

MudHorse

Badlands
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang Convertible, 2012 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wasn't there a debate as to what they meant. meaning just because Ford said it can go 30", it didn't mean you wouldn't have to flush out your diffs afterwards.

I guess my point is when a factory sets a water fording depth, are we certain the Ford is saying all the breather lines ALSO have been tweaked to match?

So no worries about shutters, low hanging alternators...etc.
That was kind of the point of my post. Just because they say it can do it, doesn't mean a prudent person with some knowledge wouldn't want to guarantee their investment is safe. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Ill be locating the breathers on mine and extending to set my own fording depth that I know is safe. I agree about the turbos and hadn't even considered that. But now I will. :)

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Military trucks use turbo diesels and have tremendous fording capability. The turbo isn’t the constraint.
A civilian vehicle is not even close to the design equivalent of a military vehicle. Thousands of pages of design requirements from the government, tens of thousands of design hours to meet those requirements and then a mind numbing number of hours in torture tests to prove the design works.

Here are but a few test examples:
https://natc-ht.com/types-of-testing/

Last edited:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A widely performed manuever in LR Series prior to water crossings is to remove the fan belt - fan beating the water and showering everything under the bonnet is disadvantageous……just saying.
Wire in a fan kill switch like military vehicles have for fording

Deleted member 3063

Trust but verify.
The Raptor is rated 30 some inches so I got under and checked the vents. I submerge the rear axle a dozen or more times a year at the boat launch. Previous F150s a similar amount. Never had a issue with water getting in the rear. Yep, I change my own fluids so I know. But there again I'm talking Fords, can't speak to off brands..

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wire in a fan kill switch like military vehicles have for fording
It would be neat if the Bronco had a water sensor that turned off the fan automatically when it sensed it was submerged.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A widely performed manuever in LR Series prior to water crossings is to remove the fan belt - fan beating the water and showering everything under the bonnet is disadvantageous……just saying.
And the fan often shatters sending chunks of hard plastic through radiators, oil coolers, wires and hoses. ….
Sponsored