mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to have a 1997 Defender 90. Wish I hadn’t sold it, as prices are through the roof. Very fun and functional vehicle. I’ve reserved a Black Diamond stock, as it’s the closest thing I’ve seen to that D90. The new version of the D90 is nice, but not nearly as utilitarian. The size and shape of the Bronco reminds me of that era D90, along with the washout rubber interior, tire size, etc. Hopefully the brakes on the Bronco will last longer! I never had any issues with the LR for the five years I owned it, which actually surprised me a bit. I’m sure you’d be happy with either, but I think the LR looks a bit more luxury oriented.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't see why you plan on cross shopping unless you never take the roof off and got $$$ to burn

My Dad is more a Defender guy than I'd be, and that's even if I were to get a 2.7/auto, since I don't see him hassling to take the doors/top off

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they only made the new Defender 90 with a removable roof, they'd sell 10x more of them.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
No top and a washout interior. Loved that on my ‘97 D90. The new Defender is just like every other model in their lineup now. Being able to wash out the inside from the beach, mountain, or desert is really great. Who wants to put a wet dog covered in sand into an enclosed vehicle with a $300 headliner upgrade? You’d think more car companies would know sand and carpet don’t work together. Just pay no attention to the rear seat backs on my Black Diamond...

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
aren't land rovers always in the shop/broken? and i am pretty sure the roof doesn't come off without a sawzall- not cross shopping anything that doesn't have a removable top!!

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a buddy who bought a 110. Nice ride. A bit heavy on the gadgetry for my taste, and his was problematic until a recent software update (nearest dealer is a 45-min drive). His is very-expensive optioned.

Ultimately though, the roof/doors don't come off. So Bronco wins.

Reactions: BD1

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
download.png

I love the Defender 90 (Pangea Green with white contrasting roof on the white steelies make me feel some type of way), and I've found my mind wandering on their build and price a few times.

But I'd want to ensure my dealer is WELL STOCKED with comparably-equipped loaners I can drive while mine is being consistently unfucked under warranty.

Though my closest dealer is about 100 miles away, so it's a non-starter anyway.

Check out TFL's youtube videos about their Defender to get a glimpse at what the ownership experience entails.
With a little imagination and some paint/wrap, you could have the best of both worlds...
Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door 1611250548110

Which begs the question: Why would you choose what looks like a Mall rat with fancy electronic gizmos that'll most certainly fail at some point, and you'll either pay out the nose for it, or spend too much of your time at the dealership dropping off your mall rat to get serviced.

I'd rather buy a lesser optioned Bronco that'll go anywhere and stand a chance of not going into the shop when I'm done. Of course this is all speculation and I could be eating a full plate of crow later, but I'm willing to take the chance.

One thing I have yet to confirm is whether or not you can wrap these MIC tops. It's either that or I may wait for MY22 to get the white top, and maybe, just MAYBE some sort of Boxwood/Olive drab color......maybe.

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT Super Crew Short Bed 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have to say that I went and test drove a Defender today. It was the 110 with the P300 engine. Rode nice and felt great at 80+ MPH on the highway. I did like the interior, clean and classy. Nothing fancy. I will test drive the D90 when it comes in. Dealer said they would get one in a month or so. The only reason I started looking away from the Bronco was all the delays and now the "allocation" stuff. I talked to my Bronco dealer the other day. I am a 7/15 res and was told I was #43 of 82. He noted his "allocation' was only 23 units. From all that I've been reading the chances of me getting a Bronco this year does not look good. Especially since I want a 2DR BD with the 2.7. I know this will add more delay. If it is going to be Dec and beyond before I can get one, then I may not wait. I do like the D90. LR Dealer said I could order one in about 12 weeks. It's a bit more refined look over the Bronco. I am honest with myself that I will not be a hardcore 4 wheeler. The D90 may be more suited to me. However, not having removeable doors and roof is a draw back. The D90 is a more expensive. My BD build was about $45K and the D90 build was about $53K. I guess the best ability of the D90 over the Bronco is availability. I may go down both paths. Order the Bronco and wait till May to find out when I will get and put order in for the D90. If I go the D90 route, I can always trade in for a Bronco in a couple years. Keeping all my options open.

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Starting to eyeball a D90 now, been looking the past 3 days. Literally all 3 times I have checked the D90 B&P it's been completely different and the pricing has been different, not sure what's going on over there. My Bronco backups (if I don't get one by Q1/22 or if my mustang breaks down first) are the D90 and the TRX.

For my builds the pricing difference with the D90 is like ~10k (15 if I load it up). Considering that the only reason I'd swap to the D90 is if my Bronco would be >6 months later than expected, the difference is negligible.

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously there is a lot more to consider than the price, especially on paper. The value of the Defender, in my opinion, is much higher.

I want a Bronco, for Bronco sake. I like the Defender, and it's, I'm sure, a better vehicle than the Bronco, but I want what I want.
This is perceived value. Why is it more valuable to you? Name, prestige, heritage, quality of material?

this is coming from a LR4 lover, and defender reservation dropper. Fantastic vehicles no doubt, but a part of the costs are surely in name and prestige.

damn does a Land Rover feel special though. Think I’ll get the same feeling from the bronco hopefully! Feels like it

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All value is perceived value.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I loved the old 2 door Defenders. It seems odd to me to compare the current model to a Bronco. Maybe cross shop the Lexus equivalent? To each there own, I just don’t see them occupying the same space?

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd take the Bronco 2dr over a Defender 90 any day. The Ford looks better, is less expensive, and will probably have a better reputation than the Land Rover.

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All value is perceived value.
Nope, the market at resale will tell you the value and Land Rovers are among the lowest in retained value (coming from a 2013 RangeRover owner).

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Market value is based on perceived value. If there is no perceived value, the market reflects that.
Sponsored