Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a short video from a guy who was wheeling in Moab and caught them doing some testing.

With fully independent airbag suspension, I'm sure it will be very comfy trundling down some fire roads, but it is hardly capable of what it's namesake was built for -- and will probably cost an absolute fortune to buy and repair.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not impressed and I fail to see how it is substantially different than Land/Range Rover's other products. Just another over-priced, fully independent air ride suspension SUV. The tires are still too low-profile, but at least they are slightly better than their other products. I think just about every off road test I have read in recent years that includes a Land/Range Rover talks about puncturing their low-profile street tires and damaging their ridiculous wheels.

In my opinion, Land/Range Rovers don't have much actual offroad capability, just a bunch of electronic gimmicks that impress people who don't actually go offroad. Their only saving grace is that they usually make a lot of power.

LOL, I recall doing some work on a very wealthy couples weekend cabin here in my area, outer Chicago suburbs - (Go one direction nothing but corn fields , the other direction, steadily increasing urban leading up to Chicago) , not really out in the pucker brush at all. Matter of fact, that "cabin" was probably less than one or two miles from a MAJOR, MAJOR highway.

Anyways, homeowner shows up one Friday afternoon with friends who were going to stay for the weekend....out here in the bush, you see....
It was all we could do to keep from laughing. Of course one of the couples had a LandRover, but their clothes, OMFG .... they had probably $800+ in LL Bean outfits EACH ..... God I'm laughing just recalling it.... Freaking full on safari hats and safari shorts, Steve Irwin approved safari shirts.
Good God, they looked a bit silly!
Nice enough people though, really. They spoke with us like equals, which isn't always the case with some of these "richers". It was just hard to keep a straight face while talking with them, showing them the "stuff" in their friends cabin and how it all works.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... In my opinion, Land/Range Rovers don't have much actual offroad capability, just a bunch of electronic gimmicks that impress people who don't actually go offroad. Their only saving grace is that they usually make a lot of power.
They're better than most crossovers, and probably better than most other independent suspension vehicles. The big shortcoming is durability and ease of repair. Those electrowidgets are complicated, and parts availability is going to be dreadful in most places.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
That thing looks awesome, wish I could afford one. Looks really capable to me..
Sure you could put some rock crawling 15” wheels on it, some solid axles and make it have some basic coil spring suspension so it’s easily ready for a cheap lift kit and bigger tires. But seriously, if you think that, you missed the entire point of Land Rover. It’s not marketed as a rock crawling beast like a Jeep. It’s a luxury suv to take the grand kids up to the mountains for kayaking or to play in the snow.
Who buys a $100k plus vehicle to go climb boulders in? This is a stylish statement piece that’s probably a dream to drive and most frequently purchased by people over 50 years old who have a buck or two in the bank.
For those saying it’s too hard and complicated to work on, do you seriously think somebody who shells out 100k plus for a vehicle is EVER concerned about how hard it is to work on? If it’s broke and at the dealer who cares, they get free loaners...
it is what it is, basically something you or myself won’t even have the option to buy untill the headlights turn yellow and the seat is contoured to somebody else’s ass. That’s when it’s broke in, ready for mods and priced right.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... For those saying it’s too hard and complicated to work on, do you seriously think somebody who shells out 100k plus for a vehicle is EVER concerned about how hard it is to work on? ...
No. And that's the point I was making. While Land Rover heritage is quite similar to Jeep and Bronco, they have diverged to target different buying populations.

In much the same way the Wrangler has many features that are a nod to its heritage, like the folding windshield, the Defender carries off road capable tech. Most people will never use it, and the modern variant is impractical in the context of the original design purpose. (Who gives a **** if your windshield folds down, the roll cage prevents crating or top loading -- great you can drive off road, but the moment your lower bumper hits the ground you're going to crush one of the radiators in front of the wheel).

In that way, they are much alike. Today's variants of these vehicles have more in common with each other than they do with any of the original models beyond the outer aesthetic profile.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sure wish Ford would test the Bronco all over the world like Land Rover has been doing with the defender so we could see it under test conditions.

View attachment 863

48EB8F1F-7410-4E46-8426-9C192BDA3757.jpeg

2C60E5FC-2E85-4FE4-B4AD-5EB4ACDEB4FC.jpeg

8962F015-84E0-4571-9EBC-A933C049D85C.jpeg

8A4B2143-F911-48DC-8E56-3ED42D43813E.jpeg

C8F143CF-B43D-4BDC-8FD6-0E4143A74A22.jpeg

031395C5-E977-4CFE-8B57-A6E7121B9575.jpeg

D6A6FFE8-BEF6-4777-8AA0-4E95283C79A3.jpeg

403C0A97-646A-4C46-BA3F-20623B5D50BF.png

95C7B785-3D25-421B-BC79-625F4C975F35.jpeg

C7A25CBF-9922-4BE5-BACE-C8B524D9DF59.jpeg

9CFCF110-138E-4485-ACA1-FD241B5765DC.jpeg

3B734580-5475-4CC6-8113-3654298DC8AE.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I sure wish Ford would test the Bronco all over the world like Land Rover has been doing with the defender so we could see it under test conditions. ...
With the exception of some shots from Moab, that's all staged marketing material. I'm sure Ford will do plenty of the same kind of thing in a year when there are prototype bodies.

Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
A Rubicon I believe starts at around $38k last I checked, takes a few big options to get to $50k
As far as the defender starting at 50k, I’m not privy to what insider info you may have. I’m only going off what I’ve seen online.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen any official numbers for the 2020 Defender yet. Have a link for that $50k?

I would be surprised if the base price was less than $65k -- around double the base Wrangler or Bronco.
Sponsored