Sponsored

Definitive does ForScan unlock the output on rear speakers?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know the ohm's of the stock B&O speakers? My badlands will have the B&O system but i'm guessing i'll need to upgrade speakers if i want to avoid the distortion at higher volumes...
They are all 4 Ohm. I replaced my 4" speakers with speakers that handle 45-50w RMS (vs factory 25w RMS) rated speakers. I replaced the 6.5 inch speakers with 90w RMS speakers (don't know what the stock speakers are rated).

The dash left and right B&O speakers are coaxial, but the rest are single way speakers.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was wondering about B&O upgrades. Seems everyone is doing the base system but Iā€™m curious how much speakers help on the upgraded system. What did you do? Iā€™m a car audio noob so amps and wiring is a little more than I want to do but I can handle swapping speakers.
I did the bare minimum, but it was 100% worth it.

I probably should not say bare minimum, because I could have purchased cheaper speakers. I picked a moderately nice set of speakers. All the speakers that I used in the upgrade were 2 way coaxial speakers. I used Morel Maximo speakers all the way around except for the sub-woofer, which I have not replaced yet.

Did the new speakers help? Ya, it was like night and day. The B&O uses the very best in communist speaker technology and imports these fine speakers from Vietnam; however, the Morel speakers just embarrass the B&O speakers (despite the fact that the Morel speakers are made in China).

Last edited:

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the bare minimum, but it was 100% worth it.

I probably should not say bare minimum, because I could have purchased cheaper speakers. I picked a moderately nice set of speakers. All the speakers that I used in the upgrade were 2 way coaxial speakers. I used Morel Maximo speakers all the way around except for the sub-woofer, which I have not replaced yet.

Did the new speakers help? Ya, it was like night and day. The B&O uses the very best in communist speaker technology and imports these fine speakers from Vietnam; however, the Morel speakers just embarrass the B&O speakers (despite the fact that the Morel speakers are made in China).
Hi Mpeugeot, thanks for the tips! Curious how you knew the Morel speakers would fit in the factory openinings. Did you measure in advance or just wing it? If you did measure, I was hoping you could share as I am out of town and can't do so at the moment. I was thinking of going onto a site like crutchfield today and placing an order for new 4 and 6.5" speakers, with at a min. 2-way versions. I miss the days when the king of speakers were those 6x9 3-way speakers, and then 4-way; but I degress... I think stock speaker replacement is a good place to start!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi Mpeugeot, thanks for the tips! Curious how you knew the Morel speakers would fit in the factory openinings. Did you measure in advance or just wing it? If you did measure, I was hoping you could share as I am out of town and can't do so at the moment. I was thinking of going onto a site like crutchfield today and placing an order for new 4 and 6.5" speakers, with at a min. 2-way versions. I miss the days when the king of speakers were those 6x9 3-way speakers, and then 4-way; but I degress... I think stock speaker replacement is a good place to start!
For the kick panel speakers, I had to use the adapters that Crutchfield supplied and trim out the interior tabs on the speaker mounts (used a jig saw for this). On the factory speakers grills, I had to trim back the plastic inside circle for clearance (you'll know exactly what I mean when you pull the grills). It took just a few minutes (using a sharp knife worked well vs the jig saw).

You will want the Metra 72-5602 speaker wire adapters and Metra 82-5605 speaker mount adapters for the kick panel speakers. Made the installation pretty simple. The biggest tip is to remove the entire kick panel, makes the job 100% easier. The dead pedal bolts need to be pulled in order to get the drivers kick panel out.

I totally winged it after watching a few other replacement videos on the 4 inch speakers. The 4" speakers I knew would be an easy fit (although you have to remove 2 mounting tabs from each of the 4" speakers - easy to break off - they are designed to be easily cut off).

I think that you will be impressed with the difference in sound between stock and replacement speakers. It has real punch now and sounds so much better.

I went with all 2-way speakers the 4" get down to 75Hz and the 6.5" reach down to 55Hz. Like I said earlier, the rear speaker bass cut is at 150Hz, but I haven't tested the dash speakers. I would get 45-50w rms capable 4" speakers again (vs the 25w rms factory speakers). The 6.5" 80w rms seems adequate as well. They don't break up with the volume all the way up with most stuff, I had some distortion above 25/30, but only on some tracks, it may have been the source/track and not the speakers, because I had other tracks at 30/30 and it was pretty clean.

Last edited:

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the kick panel speakers, I had to use the adapters that Crutchfield supplied and trim out the interior tabs on the speaker mounts (used a jig saw for this). On the factory speakers grills, I had to trim back the plastic inside circle for clearance (you'll know exactly what I mean when you pull the grills). It took just a few minutes (using a sharp knife worked well vs the jig saw).

You will want the Metra 72-5602 speaker wire adapters and Metra 82-5605 speaker mount adapters for the kick panel speakers. Made the installation pretty simple. The biggest tip is to remove the entire kick panel, makes the job 100% easier. The dead pedal bolts need to be pulled in order to get the drivers kick panel out.

I totally winged it after watching a few other replacement videos on the 4 inch speakers. The 4" speakers I knew would be an easy fit (although you have to remove 2 mounting tabs from each of the 4" speakers - easy to break off - they are designed to be easily cut off).

I think that you will be impressed with the difference in sound between stock and replacement speakers. It has real punch now and sounds so much better.

I went with all 2-way speakers the 4" get down to 75Hz and the 6.5" reach down to 55Hz. Like I said earlier, the rear speaker bass cut is at 150Hz, but I haven't tested the dash speakers. I would get 45-50w rms capable 4" speakers again (vs the 25w rms factory speakers). The 6.5" 80w rms seems adequate as well. They don't break up with the volume all the way up with most stuff, I had some distortion above 25/30, but only on some tracks, it may have been the source/track and not the speakers, because I had other tracks at 30/30 and it was pretty clean.
Thanks for the info. Your reply could almost be a separate "how to" post by itself! Maybe there are already a few on this and I haven't searched well enough yet to find them. Anyway, it sounds like these speakers and corresponding wire adapters/mounts can be bought thru Crutchfield so will check them out tomorrow.

Quick question on the 4" replacements. For our B&O system, those 4" speakers are on the top of the dash and are the only component type speakers correct (info shows a component 10mm tweeter and 80mm speaker). If so, did the new Morel setup include component system as well or did you add standard 2 way versions to replace these? Maybe you can share which model it was as I am having a hard time tracking down a Morel 4" speaker that is not a component setup. Due to wiring, component systems are always harder to swap, at least for me.

It seems the rest are your standard one way/coaxial speakers and would be easy to swap them out for upgraded 2 way systems. Crutchfield has a ton of options for those!

Last edited:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info. Your reply could almost be a separate "how to" post by itself! Maybe there are already a few on this and I haven't searched well enough yet to find them. Anyway, it sounds like these speakers and corresponding wire adapters/mounts can be bought thru Crutchfield so will check them out tomorrow.

Quick question on the 4" replacements. For our B&O system, those 4" speakers are on the top of the dash and are the only component type speakers correct (info shows a component 10mm tweeter and 80mm speaker). If so, did the new Morel setup include component system as well or did you add standard 2 way versions to replace these? Maybe you can share which model it was as I am having a hard time tracking down a Morel 4" speaker that is not a component setup. Due to wiring, component systems are always harder to swap, at least for me.

It seems the rest are your standard one way/coaxial speakers and would be easy to swap them out for upgraded 2 way systems. Crutchfield has a ton of options for those!
The factory dash speakers are NOT component speakers, they are coaxial. The left and right dash speakers are the only coaxial speakers in the system, all the other speakers are one-way midrange speakers (4" and 6.5") and the sub-woofer.

I replaced everything with coaxial speakers, except for the sub-woofer.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The factory dash speakers are NOT component speakers, they are coaxial. The left and right dash speakers are the only coaxial speakers in the system, all the other speakers are one-way midrange speakers (4" and 6.5") and the sub-woofer.

I replaced everything with coaxial speakers, except for the sub-woofer.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. It was confusing on what we have.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. It was confusing on what we have.
To be clear, with the mid package stereo, the four 4" speakers are all identical. Here are the ones I removed from my two door WT. All have a cap built in.

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be clear, with the mid package stereo, the four 4" speakers are all identical. Here are the ones I removed from my two door WT. All have a cap built in.

Ford Bronco Definitive does ForScan unlock the output on rear speakers? IMG_9369

Ford Bronco Definitive does ForScan unlock the output on rear speakers? IMG_9369
Thanks for the clarification. Although I do have the Lux with B&O, maybe that is where some of this confusion lies. But it sounds like even the B&O does not include component speakers. I saw a diagram (pasted below) where the dash speakers in the B&O have a 10mm tweeter with 80mm speaker and thought that meant they were component. However, it sounds like they are 2 way instead.

Ford Bronco Definitive does ForScan unlock the output on rear speakers? 1641231221633

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the clarification. Although I do have the Lux with B&O, maybe that is where some of this confusion lies. But it sounds like even the B&O does not include component speakers. I saw a diagram (pasted below) where the dash speakers in the B&O have a 10mm tweeter with 80mm speaker and thought that meant they were component. However, it sounds like they are 2 way instead.

1641231221633.png
Yes, the B&O has the following speakers in the following locations:

Left Front - 4 Inch 2-Way 25w Speaker
Center Front - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Front - 4 Inch 2-Way 25w Speaker

Left Kick Panel - 6.5 Inch Mid-Range Speaker
Right Kick Panel - 6.5 Inch Mid-Range Speaker

Left Rear Pod - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Rear Pod - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Rear Panel - 8 Inch 2 channel Sub-Woofer

The end result is that the B&O system only differs in 4 major ways from the base system:

1 Amplified Sub-Woofer
1 Center Channel mid-range speaker
Left dash speaker upgraded from mid to 2-way
Right dash speaker upgraded from mid to 2-way

That's it. All mid-range speakers for both systems are otherwise identical (which is cheap and lame).

Sorry, I do not have wattage ratings for the kick panel or sub-woofer yet.

Sponsored

Gouldjb

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes, the B&O has the following speakers in the following locations:

Left Front - 4 Inch 2-Way 25w Speaker
Center Front - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Front - 4 Inch 2-Way 25w Speaker

Left Kick Panel - 6.5 Inch Mid-Range Speaker
Right Kick Panel - 6.5 Inch Mid-Range Speaker

Left Rear Pod - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Rear Pod - 4 Inch Mid-Range 25w Speaker
Right Rear Panel - 8 Inch 2 channel Sub-Woofer

The end result is that the B&O system only differs in 4 major ways from the base system:

1 Amplified Sub-Woofer
1 Center Channel mid-range speaker
Left dash speaker upgraded from mid to 2-way
Right dash speaker upgraded from mid to 2-way

That's it. All mid-range speakers for both systems are otherwise identical (which is cheap and lame).

Sorry, I do not have wattage ratings for the kick panel or sub-woofer yet.

Gouldjb

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Guys,
I canā€™t tell you how helpful all these forms are. I find myself being consumed for over an hour reading this stuff :)

I purchased Hertz DCX 100.3 4ā€œ x 4 speakers to replace dash and rears. I also purchas
Guys,
I canā€™t tell you how helpful all these forms are. I find myself being consumed for over an hour reading this stuff :)

I purchased Hertz DCX 100.3 4ā€œ x 4 speakers to replace dash and rears. I also purchased the Kicker HS10hideaway subwoofer. Going to have Cartoys help me install (was going to do but then thought Iā€™d outsource šŸ˜œ).

only question I had was whether I need to add a small 4-channel amp (eg Kicker KEY) that I could installunder cargo liner in cut out section under liner - itā€™s very small. Just trying to understand power balancing. Donā€™t need stupid loud system, but want it to sound balanced. The subwoofer has 180w RMS.

I have B&O and What I canā€™t figure out is if the B&O amplifier connects to all 4 x 4ā€ speakers (vs just small subwoofer) and approx what RMS / watts?
Iā€™ve searched everywhere and canā€™t find. If someone knows, would be great.

Hoping B&O amp provides some power to other speakers so I donā€™t need to add addl amp. The fuse for it says 20amp and heard rule of thumb is to multiply this by ~10x which would imply 200w+. Just donā€™t know if itā€™s solely to the subwooferā€¦? Thanks all!!

Gouldjb

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Guys,

I purchased Hertz DCX 100.3 4ā€œ x 4 speakers to replace dash and rears. I also purchas

Guys,

I purchased Hertz DCX 100.3 4ā€œ x 4 speakers to replace dash and rears. I also purchased the Kicker HS10hideaway subwoofer. Going to have Cartoys help me install (was going to do but then thought Iā€™d outsource šŸ˜œ).

only question I had was whether I need to add a small 4-channel amp (eg Kicker KEY) that I could installunder cargo liner in cut out section under liner - itā€™s very small. Just trying to understand power balancing. Donā€™t need stupid loud system, but want it to sound balanced. The subwoofer has 180w RMS.

I have B&O and What I canā€™t figure out is if the B&O amplifier connects to all 4 x 4ā€ speakers (vs just small subwoofer) and approx what RMS / watts?

Hoping B&O amp provides some power to other speakers so I donā€™t need to add addl amp. The fuse for it says 20amp and heard rule of thumb is to multiply this by ~10x which would imply 200w+. Just donā€™t know if itā€™s solely to the subwooferā€¦? Thanks all!!
PS not sure why my opening reply repeated. Apologies

OP
OP

BroncoBLCG

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guys,

Guys,

So I'm sure it can be done but from what I can see the hideaway subwoofer isn't going to fit cleanly. It's going to require trimming/moving wires/vents under the passenger seat.

Also I'm not sure what model you have but the badlands with the vinyl floor gets wet. I just spent a week in the snow and water does move around. Obviously you have the drain holes but putting anything amp / sub on the floor is asking to has issues unless it's 100% mall crawler.

I'm going with Wetsounds Micro AMPs and mounting them under the dash.

Gouldjb

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So I'm sure it can be done but from what I can see the hideaway subwoofer isn't going to fit cleanly. It's going to require trimming/moving wires/vents under the passenger seat.

Also I'm not sure what model you have but the badlands with the vinyl floor gets wet. I just spent a week in the snow and water does move around. Obviously you have the drain holes but putting anything amp / sub on the floor is asking to has issues unless it's 100% mall crawler.

I'm going with Wetsounds Micro AMPs and mounting them under the dash.
Thanks for your thoughts.
I have a 1st edition. What I was thinking is to have them install the kicker HS10 sub under the rear seat with Velcro. If I actually need to drop a seat for anything, I could always remove it. Alternatively, could just put it in a corner of the cargo area but thought this may make more sense. Has anyone tried to fit it? It looks like it may be close. Thanks for folks views. Also, thank Iā€™m going to try just having them install without amp and see if itā€™s power phone off. Worst case, Canada kicker small amp. Finally, the hertz foreign speakers go down to about 70 so wondering if I really need to install the 150 Hz base blockers Crutchfield sent me or if Iā€™ll block too much of speaker ability?
Sponsored