First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Camaro, 2019 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered the exact same Bronco! Right down to every spec...BD, manual trans, cactus grey, 4dr....we are in production so hopefully will have ours soon. Great review, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

Dr.Dre

Wildtrak
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I drove an Outer Banks with the 2.7 & 10 speed yesterday and it was a dog as far as horsepower. In a weird way the 2.3 with the manual might be better because the you can rev the motor and shift when you want. The 10 speed seems to want to get to the higher gears as quickly as possible.

I'm really concerned about the power.

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Expect to very happy with my 2.3 MT today. Your review and the video posted in this forum of a guy driving the 2.3 MT have really erased any doubts I may have had.
What he 👆🏽said! Test drove a Badlands 4dr 7MT myself the other day and loved it, and that was before the video mentioned dropped. I was incredibly impressed with the 2.3/7MT configuration and am really glad I chose that for my build. Finally, you can’t go wrong with any AC/DC, but Thunderstruck is definitely perfect for a Bronco! Enjoy your beautiful ride!

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think those tires look good on that rig

Sponsored

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My biggest concern right now is wondering how well the 2.3 will do at Elevation 5000-12000 ft (Colorado/Utah) going up steep grades at highway speeds.
I live at 7200 and spend a lot of time at 9000 plus. Turbos really don't struggle with air intake at higher altitudes the same way naturally aspirated engines do. What's more, in my understanding and experience, your turbo is going to be spinning faster because of the lower air density, meaning you'll hit your boost ranger earlier in the powerband.

Ironically, you might be sad when you travel to sea level.

ricstang

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesomeness! I have the same build in Velocity Blue. Still waiting for my VIN and Build Date. Awesome review.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I live at 7200 and spend a lot of time at 9000 plus. Turbos really don't struggle with air intake at higher altitudes the same way naturally aspirated engines do. What's more, in my understanding and experience, your turbo is going to be spinning faster because of the lower air density, meaning you'll hit your boost ranger earlier in the powerband.

Good point. Turbochargers were the technology added to WWII fighters that allowed them to retain high horsepower at higher altitudes. Before that was done, non-turbo fighters didn't do very well at high altitude.

" Turbocharging at elevation is an efficient way to minimize horsepower loss due to elevation and lower air density. At high elevations turbochargers compress more air into the engine cylinders making up for the lower air density allowing the engine to produce power as if it was at sea level."
https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...at-elevation-counteracting-lower-air-density/

CG_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for posting. This is my build (BD with MT) and you answered some questions I had.

mac62989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 2001 Trans AM WS6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice little write up! I'm glad to learn the start/stop feature can be disabled. That is also pretty cool you can customize it to show a boost gauge. Glad you are enjoying the 2.3L/Manual combo, no other way to drive these things to me!

Sponsored

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good perspective. Never thought about that.

Solodriver19

Black Diamond
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F 150 XTR S'CREW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, I contemplated not posting a review when I took delivery of my Bronco because you guys can be brutal! (Kidding but not really lol) So I took delivery on Monday the 19th of my BD. We got a 4d, Cactus Grey with the MIC top, hitch, molded floor matts, upgraded wheels and the headliner (although that ended up being free). I was lucky enough to be my dealers priority order so my dates don't really apply although I was early on them to start. I had a day one reservation, and ordered as soon as the banks opened up. I know my dealer pretty well and thanks to this forum, and others, I was teaching them stuff so they wanted to hook me up. My original build date was the week of May 31st, then it was pushed to June 14th. It was built on 21st but then I heard nothing for almost 2 weeks until I got the built email. When it finally came off the truck (after another 2 week wait) I saw why, "bad top" was written on the passenger side rear window...so I guess it was waiting on a new top. So at any rate, on to the review.

So first impressions are we super happy with our choice and the Bronco in general.

GOOD:
MIC top looks good and matches the flares almost perfect. It came in on Friday the 16th but due to the salesman being off, nobody called me. I was away Saturday, so pick up was set for Monday. My point being it sat in front of the dealer all weekend, we had several storms that weekend, and I saw no indications of water leaks.

Paint looks excellent and gaps are spot on.

Interior was great as well, vinyl seats aren't overly hot in the 90 plus degree weather over the last few days.

We got the manual transmission and paired with the 2.3 it really goes. I have the 2.7 in my F150 and they are VERY similar. One reason besides the price for us getting the manual (beside just liking a manual to play with) is that I have the F150. The 10 speed in that is "mehhh" It's sort of sloppy at low to mid cruising, searching for gears, up shifting to soon, or at bad times. And I've had it for over a year so it should have "learned" my driving style by now. So we went manual. You can obviously tell when you're behind the wheel it's a 4 cylinder, as 1st gear is low and tachs out pretty quick. But when you get on the throttle in 2nd and 3rd it seriously rips. The right side of the gauge cluster is configurable, so I put up the turbo boost gauge and get a big smile on my face when you wind the rpms, the boost gauge quickly turns green, and the Bronco takes off. You can hear some turbo whistle from time to time which is nice. Nowhere near my old Duramax but you can hear it and adds some cool factor to the ecoboost.

We took the front panels off the roof the other night which was as easy as the videos show. It went on just as easy although it was dark and I would not suggest for the first time doing it in the dark. I was afraid of bumping and scratching it.

We got the upgraded wheels for the BD which we are very happy with as well, love the look against the General AT's which in my opinion are perfect. The tread pattern is similar to BFG KO2's but I think the lugs are a little more spaced apart as I have them on my '69 Bronco and compared them. I have heard a couple stones getting tossed out of them onto the Bronco though (it made me say EWWWWW!)

We are very happy with the height of the BD. With the 32" Grabbers at stock height, I'm 5'10 and have to step up into it and kind of slide out. Like if it were a pickup, I would put side steps on it. In my opinion its perfect height.

The start/stop with the manual is interesting and you can turn it off. When you put the Bronco on neutral, the start/stop will activate. When you push in the clutch, the Bronco will start back up.

Hill start assist is pretty cool also. Although I learned how to hold a manual on an incline using the clutch, it's still useful. So when you are on a hill and have the clutch in, the hill start holds the Bronco when you take your foot off the brake. As you start on the gas, and start to release the clutch the brake disengages. You still have to know how to use the clutch and gas but it helps with that transition. I am pretty sure you can deactivate it in settings although if it's on you can still do it old school and it effects nothing.

Hill decent is impressive. I'm sure you've seen videos on it. I was at the top of a super steep hill the other night so I figured I'd try it. It was set at 11 mph and literally it just cruised down the hill at 11 mph, so controlled. The RPM's weren't racing or raising, it didn't feel jerky....just slow and controlled. I think I was in 2nd or 3dr, I don't remember, but probably 2nd and it just stayed at 1500 RPM's and quietly went down the hill.

BAD:

well not really bad, just a down side... The stereo is a little lacking. Let me start by saying I really don't care. I didn't buy it for the stereo nor did I go with the B&O stereo. Its the standard unit and it's "fine". I haven't played with it, but it's definitely lacking bass. I found that AC/DC thunderstuck does sound fucking awesome cranked up ripping down the highway though :)

Only issues are 1) My sync voice assistant is not working. The button and the wakeup phrase of "ok ford" does nothing. A quick press, like my F150, should cause it to reply, but all it does is bring up siri no matter how quick and light I press it. I'm sure it's just a software issue or a needed update. I'm going to do a sync restart before I bother going to the dealer. I did send an issue report to Ford through the sync system.

2) there is a tiny bit of rust staining around 2 of the "bronco bolts" on the steel bumper. I'm going to take them out this weekend and see if there's a little rust on the bolt, or is it on the bumper. It's not rust per say but a little staining if you know what I mean.

Feel free to ask questions, I know there are more and more of these reviews out there to where it gets to the point of "ok, ok, you got your Bronco big deal" but I wanted to post this to maybe help someone be content with their 2.3 choice or questions about the manual since I haven't seen too many and I was wondering myself if the 2.3 was going to be adequate. If you go to my instagram "broncounlimited", there is a link to a quick youtube walkaround, although it's not great, it gives you a better look. I will be doing a ride along to show the above described stuff soon.

IMG_7618.jpg
IMG_7619.jpg
IMG_7614.jpg
IMG_7613.jpg
IMG_7612.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg
Thank you for that. Definitely helped me pick CG for my colour.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you get the Mid package? The "enhanced voice recognition" is part of the mid package. Otherwise you just get the basic Bluetooth commands.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking good! Can we see a pic of the molded floor mats? I ordered them too but still can’t wrap my mind around what they are gonna be besides the woeful photo on Ford’s website.
Sponsored