Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered without sound deadening. I'll never remove the top. Just build mine already.
Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There have been more than a few delivered with etched windows and some sketchy roof edges, as I think MAP got a little too zealous in pushing them out. As of this morning's production restart I do NOT envision that happening again.
so what you're saying is... it's better to not have a day 0 reservation??? 😁 at least that's what I'm telling myself. haha

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously the shitshow that is Webasto's production of Molded-in-Color hardtops for Bronco has caused issues throughout the last year, and now seeing dozens of Broncos parked outside of MAP with "Bad Roof" chalked on their windows isn't helping matters.

With 2 weeks under my belt on my 2021 Big Bend 4-door with MIC, I was asked to share photos and impressions of one of the "good" tops.

To start, it's important to understand that this isn't simply a single-piece molded roof. Each panel has 3 structural components: A thick, textured outer laminate piece, a thin, inner laminate piece, and a core of honeycomb to balance strength and weight.

The exterior of my roof is uniform in both color and texture. All edges are smooth and consistent. The "bad" units appear to suffer inconsistencies in color and texture of the exterior finish, with edges that are jagged and in some cases showing early signs of delamination. The interior is about what I expected from similar composite roof shells. It has an okay finish but is obviously not designed to look as polished as the exterior. There is some variance in color, and in broader flat sections of the roof the shape of the honeycomb structure is visible. I suspect that the inclusion of the free headliner was to cover these inconsistencies. Not necessarily quality issues, as that is the design of this type of roof, but to provide a more polished interior finish.

All my panels are square and straight, and the latches are aligned perfectly. Each panel latch gives you a reassuring "click" when you've reached the fully closed portion, and the ease of use in removing and replacing the 3 forward panels is superb. I have yet to remove the clamshell as we've had rain chances nearly every day for the last 2 weeks, but the 6 bolts necessary for removal are easily accessible and the process seems straightforward.
20210712_095300.jpg
20210712_095248.jpg
20210712_094724.jpg
20210712_094615.jpg
20210712_094603.jpg
20210712_094542.jpg
20210712_094517.jpg
20210712_094506.jpg
20210711_134329.jpg
20210711_134322.jpg
You’re a legend. Thanks for keeping us in the loop even after your delivery.

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the pictures and all you do here! I'm patiently waiting on news of my 2 dr that was built 7-1.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the material that the sound deadening liner is made of? Is it felt?
The headliner kit actually appears to be 2 layers: There is some sort of thin vinyl "sticker" placed directly on the interior of the roof panels that is then covered with a thick-pile Ozite style acoustic carpet. It's much thicker than felt, and reminds me of the "good" carpet used on speaker enclosures back before everything became molded plastic.

It's soft to the touch and seems to do a good job controlling cabin noise levels.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is there any way of knowing if mine is one of the bad ones sitting there besides the continued wait on Built status? Also, if mine is there, when can we expect a new shipment of correct roofs to complete the builds?

The_Axeman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Below is a link to the guy who said his top is pretty bad. Rough edges on the removeable tops and the clamshell as well. He did another video on first impressions but also shows some in here but is mostly about the goat mode fail. The tops are concerning for sure.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ken-goat-mode-during-off-roading.19196/unread
It’s a little disconcerting to see how they managed to deliver that guys Bronco with ONLY the front driver’s side panel having the sound deadening headliner. That’s some pretty atrocious QC 😵💫

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can definitely see a mold part-off line on your panel edges... Clearly there's s'pose to be the exterior, MIC material here, which is absent on the 2 door, bad tops...
Simply looks like an injection/pressure/lack of enough material or material not making it to tight, small areas issue, not a design fault... Which is good news.
Seems they just need to further iron out the process...
Maybe these bad ones made it out in an attempt speed up the manufacturing process.
I'll wager this is purely a cycle time issue causing this.
And if any of you work in manufacturing, you know those assholes that are always trying to decrease cycle time!

Sponsored

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@PREMiERdrum thanks for the write-up. All the rain lately might be a good way to gauge the watertight-ness of the top. Any issues around the panel seams? Windshield header and those front panels? Around the side windows weatherstripping?

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@PREMiERdrum thanks for the write-up. All the rain lately might be a good way to gauge the watertight-ness of the top. Any issues around the panel seams? Windshield header and those front panels? Around the side windows weatherstripping?
Torrential rain and one trip thru the high-pressure car wash already, ZERO issues with water intrusion.

The way the panels lock back in, I don't see how it would be possible to mis-install them causing a lack of seal. The latches are big, beefy, and obvious, and every quarter turn lever has a "click" point when it reaches fully locked.

There are alignment pins on each panel that have to seat correctly for the latches to lock, it simply won't let you close it otherwise.