Sponsored

Delivery Mileage - How much is too much?

How many miles are too many?

• Total voters

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trying to set my expectations here... hoping some dealership employees can weigh in.

How many miles should be on my Bronco when I take delivery? At what point do I get suspicious?

Car and Driver said normal is 10-50 miles, 100+ is suspicious, and anything under 200 is acceptable. https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31543493/how-many-miles-should-a-new-car-have/

My problem is that 10 still seems like way too much. This is a truck built specifically for me, it shouldn’t be driven (test drives/joy rides) before I pick it up. How much is the vehicle really driven around for transport? 2 miles maybe? I want full control of the break-in period. Am I asking too much?

edit: here’s another thread that I missed when I was searching. Some good input here as well.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...est-drive-orders-before-customer-pickup.3142/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 2015 F-150 came with 50 miles, that's ok as I understand they had to take it to another place to have the factory bed liner sprayed in.

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would guess not more 10, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it if it was less then 25

Sponsored
OP
OP
RiverRat001

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anything greater than zero is too much. ? Seriously though, I would be fine with anything under 25 miles. My Ram came with 12 miles on it.
Ha, sounds like 25 seems like the reasonable threshold. I haven’t ever bought new, much less custom ordered new

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2-10 is normal. If they test it at the manufacture your vehicle it will have a tag on it that states that they used it for random testing and have the mileage written on that tag. Usually around 25 if that is the case.

YEGDriver

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Working at a car dealership I know the delivery process. Vehicle comes from factory, often being delivered on the back of a car carrier semi truck. at that point vehicle has low KM, typically under 10km (Canada, it's all in metric). Then the vehicle needs to undergo what's called the Pre Delivery Inspection. Basically a mechanic checks the vehicle over, making sure everything is working correctly, sometimes needing to install the actually wheels, as vehicle sometimes come with delivery rims which are not road legal. They install any equipment that isn't installed before delivery, such as antennas, body kits, chrome exhaust tips, etc. Then they need to take it on a test drive to make sure everything is working correctly, and calibrate a number of electronic things like the compass, which needs to be set to the correct 'Zone'. Typically vehicle has about 50km or so roughly at that point. Then depending upon what the customer wants installed they may need to send it to an aftermarket location to have other things installed, like bedliners, hitches, and anything else that doesn't come from the factory. So depending upon the options you might get your vehicle with as low as maybe 15 km or so, to as much as 150km+. I'd say that Car and Driver article is fairly spot on.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Usually around 5-10 miles. Some times New vehicles are randomly selected for quality control testing where they would put a sticker on the window if they had done so With the amount of miles driven written on it if more than 20 I’d be suspicious that it has been driven by the dealer unnecessarily Unless the vehicle is at another location of theirs and had to be driven from

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want full control of the break-in period.
10 miles won't make much, if any, difference in your break-in.

There's another thread on this that has reasons that there could be extra miles on vehicles. Most of it is for QC testing. Not much of it is someone hooning around in your new Bronco.

Unless it's egregious I wouldn't lose sleep over it. What are you going to do if it has 12 miles on it? Refuse and have another ordered for you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RiverRat001

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10 miles won't make much, if any, difference in your break-in.

There's another thread on this that has reasons that there could be extra miles on vehicles. Most of it is for QC testing. Not much of it is someone hooning around in your new Bronco.

Unless it's egregious I wouldn't lose sleep over it. What are you going to do if it has 12 miles on it? Refuse and have another ordered for you?
It’s a good question and one that motivated the thread, and I’m still not sure where that threshold is for me. But that’s also why I’m asking. If it had 1000 miles on it, I think 99% of us would refuse delivery and have another ordered. That’s exactly the question... how high the miles before I do something about it? Discounts? Refuse delivery? Idk

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My problem is that 10 still seems like way too much. This is a truck built specifically for me, it shouldn’t be driven (test drives/joy rides) before I pick it up. How much is the vehicle really driven around for transport? 2 miles maybe? I want full control of the break-in period. Am I asking too much?
First there's end of line testing - the truck goes on rolls and goes through a final shakedown. From there it doesn't go straight onto a truck / railway car, it get's staged multiple times. That's if no re-work needed to be done. Obviously the goal is 100% first time passes, but that's not the case. So it may drive back and forth from the shop for rework to the staging areas.

Then it gets put on a rail car, more miles. Then it gets put on a truck, more miles. Then it gets pulled off the truck, more miles. Then into the dealership for prep for sale, more miles. The dealership may do a final shakedown to make sure all the prep was completed. I remember a couple years ago vehicles were shipped with foam bump stops and some dealers were forgetting to remove them resulting in vehicles with a solid suspension. Then they drive it into their lot, more miles.

What does all that add up to? I don't know. But at the end of the day no-one should be taking your car for joy-rides, and most of the miles will happen in the factory where Ford is trying to deliver the best product. Unfortunately they're not offering a factory pick-up option like Corvette, or some of the Euro manufacturers. So getting a car with 0 on the dash is never going to happen.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The warranty starts at the mileage on the odometer when you buy it so other than wanting to have as few miles on it as possible there is no real reason to worry about it.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a good question and one that motivated the thread, and I’m still not sure where that threshold is for me. But that’s also why I’m asking. If it had 1000 miles on it, I think 99% of us would refuse delivery and have another ordered. That’s exactly the question... how high the miles before I do something about it? Discounts? Refuse delivery? Idk
1000 miles is crazy. I can't imagine any situation where this would happen.

Basically...explain to your dealer that you, and only you, will drive this truck. If there are extra miles that they can't explain reasonably then maybe ask for a price decrease.

I'd ask questions over 25miles off the back of the transport. 100miles of un-explained mileage would maybe make me walk away.

Also....the last truck I bought came with 4kms on the odometer. It was at 156kms by the time I got it home anyway. That's still extremely low in the grand scheme of things. Like someone else said....it's all under warranty anyway and the mileage goes up quick. You only worry about each mile when it's brand new. Two years later you'll hardly notice with 1000 miles has clicked by.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went to my local Ford dealer to see A51 on a Bronco Sport in person. As I pulled up, I saw it leaving the lot. Great. Wasted trip. There were other colors in stock so I pulled in to see them. The salesman said the A51 was not sold and would be back. Shortly thereafter, the truck returns and another salesman jumps out of the A51 with a sack full of Jersey Mike's subs. Now that sub shop is only a mile down the street but... Just sharing an observation. My opinion is normal delivery, build testing, etc should have a normal new car at 20 miles or less. Both of my new cars had less than 20. One was a year old model that was on the lot and just hadn't sold. It too had less than 20 miles.
Sponsored