Sponsored

Dent in hood when purchased. Is this a common spot?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome!!! I can't wait for you to get yours! It's been a long time coming...
Thanks for the good vibes, hope your enjoying yours. I get up to Rifle once in a while, I'll keep my eyes out for your CO 2dr.

What do you think of your top?

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the good vibes, hope your enjoying yours. I get up to Rifle once in a while, I'll keep my eyes out for your CO 2dr.

What do you think of your top?
Coming from Jeeps, I've always viewed the tops as a means to keep most of the weather off of you. This top does that and if all it did was leak a little, I'd let them look at it but I'd be content. It even looks good doing it. The construction of it is an entirely different story. Ford still has some work to do, especially after watching these unfinished edges expand with the freeze night before last. I was really questioning whether I was being overly critical until I watched the edges split. I now think it's on par with the broken mounting flange as far as my concerns go.
Appearance: 8/10
Construction: 3/10
QC: 1/10
Thankfully, I absolutely love everything else about the vehicle.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Coming from Jeeps, I've always viewed the tops as a means to keep most of the weather off of you. This top does that and if all it did was leak a little, I'd let them look at it but I'd be content. It even looks good doing it. The construction of it is an entirely different story. Ford still has some work to do, especially after watching these unfinished edges expand with the freeze night before last. I was really questioning whether I was being overly critical until I watched the edges split. I now think it's on par with the broken mounting flange as far as my concerns go.
Appearance: 8/10
Construction: 3/10
QC: 1/10
Thankfully, I absolutely love everything else about the vehicle.
Yeah, I had an 05 Wrangler and was happy with the hardtop except maybe heat in summer. I like the looks of the MICs I've seen, but your right those edges look like trouble, I guess we'll see. I suppose it could be a warranty issue down the road, but Ford might be reluctant given how much they've suffered on this already.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My kids play soccer - and I coach as well - I now try not to park anywhere that an errant shot can land on the hood. That hood is very lightweight.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ATX_Bronco

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: The dealership is fixing it today. They gave me their mannequin as a loaner. An Area 51 Big Bend Sasquatch that rattles like a MFer. From what I can tell, the rattle is coming from the tailgate fold down table.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I picked up my new Bronco on October 29th and completely missed this giant dent on the hood. It looks obvious in this pic, but I could show you dozens of angles where it completely disappears.

Anyways, does anyone else have a dent like this? I doubt it is any issue with the Ford tooling.

Does anyone have advice on how to take it out? I've reached out to the dealer but haven't heard back yet.

IMG_0448.jpg

Update 1: The dealership is fixing it today. They gave me their mannequin as a loaner. An Area 51 Big Bend Sasquatch that rattles like a MFer. From what I can tell, the rattle is coming from the tailgate fold down table. I'll post pics when their PDR guy is done.
Mine has the same but two, almost like to much pressure when someone shut it. I was wondering if the glue they used between the inner/outer might be sucking it down.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine has it in the same spot too. Not nearly as bad as yours though.

Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? dented hood (2)_LI

OP
OP
ATX_Bronco

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has it in the same spot too. Not nearly as bad as yours though.

Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? dented hood (2)_LI
Yes, this is definitely a common issue. My dealer ended up fixing mine most of the way. If you have photos from the day you bought it that show the dent you can probably get them to fix it for free.

Love the Rapid Red by the way.

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Velocity Blue BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, it (hood outer) and the hood inner are both bonded together by a mastic typically, but on aluminum components, a special mastic which is more like glue is used, and is heat treated to cure. This, plus rivets are how Ford bonds almost all of their aluminum vehicles components together, a technique developed by Jaguar. Spot welds are rarely used. If you look at the swing gate when it's open, you can see little perfect circles here and there on the inner panel. Those are rivets.

I wouldn't even think of "free supporting" this hood by the hinges with after market devices, such as pneumatic/oil struts or spring hinges. The hood assembly was not designed for it, and therefore will deform over time at the rear corners. Prop rod will ALWAYS be used on my truck.
This. It’s probably a pretty easy fix to free the mastic and re-adhere the layers but definitely leave it to the dealer. The mastic does provide structural integrity so will want to make sure it’s done properly.

Great point on the prop rod vs air springs as well!

Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I picked up my new Bronco on October 29th and completely missed this giant dent on the hood. It looks obvious in this pic, but I could show you dozens of angles where it completely disappears.

Anyways, does anyone else have a dent like this? I doubt it is any issue with the Ford tooling.

Does anyone have advice on how to take it out? I've reached out to the dealer but haven't heard back yet.

Update 1: The dealership is fixing it today. They gave me their mannequin as a loaner. An Area 51 Big Bend Sasquatch that rattles like a MFer. From what I can tell, the rattle is coming from the tailgate fold down table. I'll post pics when their PDR guy is done.
Well, look what I missed!! I don't know if it's a bad paint job or a bad weld, but no matter what, Ford's Quality Control peeps should never had let this out of MAPS! I hoping a local dealership will correct the issue!

Bronco Paint Flaw.jpg

OP
OP
ATX_Bronco

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, look what I missed!! I don't know if it's a bad paint job or a bad weld, but no matter what, Ford's Quality Control peeps should never had let this out of MAPS! I hoping a local dealership will correct the issue!

Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? Bronco Paint Flaw
Yikes, my buddy's Bronco has a bad spot like that as well.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yikes, my buddy's Bronco has a bad spot like that as well.
I stopped by a Ford dealership today while working and I showed him the photo....he said he'd need to see my Bronco, take digital photos, then send it to Ford to see if it's covered under Ford's warranty!

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, I looked under the hood and look what I found, another paint issue. A large glob of paint hanging under the hood. How I missed that is beyond me, but I was not thoroughly inspecting the engine compartment! Shame on me for not being more critical in doing a "once-over!" I posted a photo the other day about a bad paint job near the rocker panel (see previous post)! I guess I got to back to the local dealership and add this to the warranty request already submitted to Ford!
Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? Bronco Under Hood Bad Paint 1

Bronco Under Hood Bad Paint 2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Cat

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I looked under the hood and look what I found, another paint issue. A large glob of paint hanging under the hood. How I missed that is beyond me, but I was not thoroughly inspecting the engine compartment! Shame on me for not being more critical in doing a "once-over!" I posted a photo the other day about a bad paint job near the rocker panel (see previous post)! I guess I got to back to the local dealership and add this to the warranty request already submitted to Ford!
Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? Bronco Under Hood Bad Paint 2

Ford Bronco Dent in hood when purchased.  Is this a common spot? Bronco Under Hood Bad Paint 2
That’s the bonding agent for the two layers of the hood having just been painted. Pretty ugly.
Sponsored

Reactions: Cat