First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Rough Country package comes with their winch, though I think you can buy it without a winch.
Ya, I purchased it without the winch, but it was soooo expensive. $309 shipped.

The Apex Badlands 12000S winch was another $529 for their 12k synthetic line winch, which we all know cannot possibly work because Harbor Freight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ya, I purchased it without the winch, but it was soooo expensive. $309 shipped.
It is cheap - requires some cutting of the OE skid plate or did you buy theirs?

OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is cheap - requires some cutting of the OE skid plate or did you buy theirs?
What winch are you going to use?
It comes with front skid plate. I will probably fabricate or buy aftermarket skid plates for under the engine, transfer case, transmission. It will require cutting out the two frame horns (used during assembly at the factory and are only spot welded in place - they are not structural). I am also going to have to relocate the 2.7 heat radiator/transmission exhanger.

The Apex Badlands 12000S winch was another $529 for their 12k synthetic line winch, which we all know cannot possibly work because Harbor Freight.

OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It comes with skid plate. It will require cutting out the two frame horns (used during assembly at the factory and are only spot welded in place - they are not structural). I am also going to have to relocate the 2.7 heat radiator/transmission exhanger.

Rough Country made a deal of only their winch … did you check the space and good to go?

Sponsored
OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rough Country made a deal of only their winch … did you check the space and good to go?
I think the constraints are length and height …

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice … I like that that winch is so low profile!
It's because I am remote mounting the control box, which is normally on top. Harbor Freight includes all the wiring necessary to remote mount the control box.

OP
OP

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's because I am remote mounting the control box, which is normally on top. Harbor Freight includes all the wiring necessary to remote mount the control box.
Have ya found a spot for that? Aren’t you still waiting on your horse? I know you are an enlightened 2 door guy?!

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have ya found a spot for that? Aren’t you still waiting on your horse? I know you are an enlightened 2 door guy?!
Ya, not until I receive my Dirt Mountain Pony. It isn't exactly huge and the additional wiring is generous enough to feel pretty confident that I will not have a problem finding a place. The heat exchanger relocation will be the bigger challenge.

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tech support guy at Warn didn’t know all the details … his basic statement is it is comparable - it may be just given another part number and may less badging - no significant mechanical difference to his knowledge.

What do you think of it?
Warn has a couple lines of comparable winches, but essentially it's country of origin. I bought the VR Evo 12S, which is pretty close to the Zeon. I had bought Warn because I make a concerted effort to buy American made, regardless of cost. Personal choice, but we'll leave politics out of this. I went with the VR Evo because it was cheaper than the Zeon, but assumed that both were American made. After I got it, I was curious as to why it was cheaper. Researched what the big difference was, turns out it was simply the country it was built in, plus some quality upgrades. More or less the same capabilities.

It looks like that's all this is. As the support guy said, it's basically the Zeon. But the cheaper version that's made outside the US, as in the case of the VR Evo it's made in Chy-na to keep cost down. This is pretty likely considering Ford uses Yakima gear, which is Chinese made, because it's cheap in cost.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Warn has a couple lines of comparable winches, but essentially it's country of origin. I bought the VR Evo 12S, which is pretty close to the Zeon. I had bought Warn because I make a concerted effort to buy American made, regardless of cost. Personal choice, but we'll leave politics out of this. I went with the VR Evo because it was cheaper than the Zeon, but assumed that both were American made. After I got it, I was curious as to why it was cheaper. Researched what the big difference was, turns out it was simply the country it was built in, plus some quality upgrades. More or less the same capabilities.

It looks like that's all this is. As the support guy said, it's basically the Zeon. But the cheaper version that's made outside the US, as in the case of the VR Evo it's made in Chy-na to keep cost down. This is pretty likely considering Ford uses Yakima gear, which is Chinese made, because it's cheap in cost.
OMG, it's made in Chy-Na!?!?! It's going to burn your Bronco to the ground.

Your Iphone??? No, that's fine... nothing to worry about there. ;)

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is an OEM piece of equipment that Ford designed with WARN; it is really a winch mounted to a sub-frame that bolts in front of the Modular Bumper. The factory materials slightly mis-stated fitment, I was told it will fit any vehicle with the Modular Bumper; sensors are another matter ... I am a Basquatch so no camera, ACC, parking assist or esthetician included (a Letterkenny reference for you uncultured individuals).

The package is $3,500, but it includes a private-label WARN winch, which I am told is equivalent to the Zeon 10S ($1,800 - $2,000 value, includes 100 ft of synthetic line, hook, hawser and safety pull; it is fit-able with wireless and HUB features). The package includes all hardware; I'll tried to attach installation instructions, but the file was too big (WARN has them). The winch is high and sticks forward a bit; not going to win any swimming suit contests and is certainly a product of compromises in design (as all these are given the sensor, camera, intercooler and oil cooler) based on a certain set of user priorities.

Two things I don't like about it: it's kinda ugly and it's kinda ugly (hopefully it will grow on you - myself, I am more about inner beauty than the outer package).

Ford Bronco Details of the Ford Performance Winch Package - Installed on a Basesquatch 20211003_214336

Some things I like about it: winch is pretty optimally located, OEM warranty, OEM design and corrosion treatment, no modification to OEM skid plate, Ford Performance dealer can recalibrate your air-bags for use with this, I think with a little ingenuity one could use cable connectors and make an installation that could be somewhat readily taken off (see the 3 of 6 bolts - not quite plug and play) for driving around town and put back on for trail use.

I recognize it may not be optimal for the higher end models and packages.

Cheers!
And they did away with the cool bucking Bronco horse on both sides of the mount bracket. This was one of my main "wants"....with all the model restrictions they placed on it....no more.

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm actually somewhat impressed with how ugly they managed to make it. I usually like the tough winch look....but this makes me uncomfortable. How did they do that???
Sponsored