Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the Apollo missions thought enough of IS to include it on their rock crawlers

But I climb rocks with ropes and carabiners and do not rock crawl so I yield
The mars rovers use a rocker bogy setup. Wheels tied together to force articulation and provide more strength is a huge benefit when you need stability endurance and strength.
Sponsored

Wallyfast916

Base
First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sorry but the tie rod is stupid weak if that obsticle caused both to break. Not sure if Ford will cover it...not sure Jeep would on similar mods. However the optics for Ford is not good. Are the components up to the task? If this becomes a common failure point then For will need to address this....that is if Ford is listening to customers anymore!

This might be too early for a newly introduced model, but those folks have been big with lifted IFS Jeeps tie rods

https://www.jeeperf.com/product-pag...t-chromoly-superflex-tie-rods-for-sl-spindles

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I broke a steering box off a jeep wrangler hitting the rock hard off-roading at 10 miles an hour. Shit breaks. it happens!
What year wrangler? I don't follow heeps, maybe they have always been crap in the steering box department.

But it doesn't happen to old broncos. When I got cocky a couple years back and rolled my junk down a rock face

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/ROLLS/20180728_180201_2.mp4

I did this to one of the Staz wheels. They are 1/4 inch thick on both inner and outer section and I had a 1/2 dia rolled ring on the rim edge. Steering box is fine.

20181229_172414.jpg

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/SX 43-S/STAZ BEADLOCKS/20181229_172350.mp4

Last edited:

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New Accessories for 2022.!! That didn't take long.!

Severe-Duty Steering System and Performance Tuning
Ford Performance Parts also developed several new Bronco chassis components for the Bronco two- and four-door SUVs, including new severe-duty steering rack and tie rod ends to further improve steering system durability under high loads. The team also created performance tuning for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine that can be uploaded via a Pro-Cal 4 scan tool to the OBDII port.

ollie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What year wrangler? I don't follow heeps, maybe they have always been crap in the steering box department.

But it doesn't happen to old broncos. When I got cocky a couple years back and rolled my junk down a rock face

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/ROLLS/20180728_180201_2.mp4

I did this to one of the Staz wheels. They are 1/4 inch thick on both inner and outer section and I had a 1/2 dia rolled ring on the rim edge. Steering box is fine.

Ford Bronco Details & update for 2021 Bronco Badlands with steering rack failure on King of the Hill K2 Trail 20181229_172414

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/SX 43-S/STAZ BEADLOCKS/20181229_172350.mp4
Hi there Jim, that was gnarly!! As you already know; when doing super hard core stuff in a highly modified rig anything can happen!! The components that survive can have you scratching your head.

This might be too early for a newly introduced model, but those folks have been big with lifted IFS Jeeps tie rods

https://www.jeeperf.com/product-pag...t-chromoly-superflex-tie-rods-for-sl-spindles
When you start beefing up chassis and steering keep in mind the next part becomes the weak link. I have always used OEM tie rods. It is much easier and cheaper to replace a tie rod.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do agree that the tie rods look pretty wimpy on these, that is the only thing that worries me about riding. Ive busted enough tie rods on SXS (some of them are hard to change). Its a debilitating failure.

I also can't help but to think of this (but they jumped one in the ford commercial)

https://tenor.com/view/raptor-ford-jump-ramp-gif-17054383

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not sure that means what you think it does. Solid axles articulate better period.
True, but not much of an argument on which is better. King of the Hammers proves both IFS and SA are very competitive with each other. ;)

lr48

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1200
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A few weeks back Bronco6G posted this picture of my Bronco having catastrophic failure while on king of the hill K2 Ketemcy Ranch in Mason Tx. Here is the update and caution.

#1 I did exactly what’s stamped in the fender wells “lift me baby” and added 2” lift.
#2 I added 37” tires to my stock rims
#3 I wheeled this thing every weekend at some very difficult trails in TX. From trees ranch, K2, and hidden falls.

I’ll say this machine is awesome and did a lot of things others with similar features couldn’t. Three weeks ago when my rack and pinion, and inners failed I realized these components are really similar in size to that of a UTV and not a marketed off road vehicle. (Bought for this purpose and not a daily) I held on to it and didn’t initially take into warranty with Ford mainly because why put the same undersized parts back on to happen over and over again.

Once I realized there is no aftermarket solution and won’t be for a long time, I decided to take it in and let Ford warranty and fix with parts that are not the long term solution but at least allow me to use until new solutions come available. In the end Dealership (Northside Ford San Antonio Tx) turned down. Not for any reason but the fact I have scratches all over my skid plates. Yes they admitted they never dissembled anything just put on lift and declined for and I quote “ looks like a cheese grater went through the underside of your vehicle.”

I refuse to pay $2,200 for faulty design so now I’m left as the consumer to figure out a better solution. I have another Badlands coming in three weeks for the wife and would love better solutions. I attached pictures for reference of the undersized components. Not Whining just looking to help others and hopefully work together as a community to truly make the Ford Bronco the best off road vehicle on the market.

Ford Bronco Details & update for 2021 Bronco Badlands with steering rack failure on King of the Hill K2 Trail 20181229_172414

Apparently Ford is aware of the issue this was posted on BroncoNation this morning,
Ford Performance Parts also developed several new Bronco chassis components for the Bronco two- and four-door SUVs, including new severe-duty steering rack and tie rod ends to further improve steering system durability under high loads. The team also created performance tuning for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine that can be uploaded via a Pro-Cal 4 scan tool to the OBDII port.

Sponsored

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
True, but not much of an argument on which is better. King of the Hammers proves both IFS and SA are very competitive with each other. ;)
Sorry for the confusion but I was never saying which is better. Each has their place like saying a mallet is better than a claw hammer. You said that IFS was better at keeping the tires on the ground and that was what I was replying to. :)

Wallyfast916

Base
First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi there Jim, that was gnarly!! As you already know; when doing super hard core stuff in a highly modified rig anything can happen!! The components that survive can have you scratching your head.

When you start beefing up chassis and steering keep in mind the next part becomes the weak link. I have always used OEM tie rods. It is much easier and cheaper to replace a tie rod.
It is the high Articulation that will help avoid any binding which caused the inner tie rods to bend and snap

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New Accessories for 2022.!! That didn't take long.!

Wait, what? Is this for real?