Sponsored

Did anyone buy the windshield insurance from the dealer what did it cost?

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did anyone buy the windshield insurance from the dealer what did it cost? I should be picking mine up tomorrow and that one may be justified because of the apparent cost of windshield replacement (other posts)

TIA
Sponsored

OP
OP

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just going to rely on my comprehensive car insurance for that for now.
its my undertsanding that one is only offered at time of sale so this is why i was questioning life
:)

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer didnā€™t offer anything like that. I think Kentucky covers all windshield replacements $0 deductible though. I emailed my insurance agent to check on glass coverage. She told me I needed ā€œoriginal equipment parts replacementā€. So I added it. I got my updated coverages today and noticed my comprehensive covers glass replacement already. Did I just get up sold something I donā€™t need? She tried to sell it to me once before I asked about glass. How convenient the same thing covers what I was looking for. I doubt anyone even has aftermarket Bronco parts yet.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I pass on stuff like that and dealer protection packages (seat, paint etc).

Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer didnā€™t offer anything like that. I think Kentucky covers all windshield replacements $0 deductible though. I emailed my insurance agent to check on glass coverage. She told me I needed ā€œoriginal equipment parts replacementā€. So I added it. I got my updated coverages today and noticed my comprehensive covers glass replacement already. Did I just get up sold something I donā€™t need? She tried to sell it to me once before I asked about glass. How convenient the same thing covers what I was looking for. I doubt anyone even has aftermarket Bronco parts yet.
Yes you were upsold. "original equipment parts replacement" means they'll get OEM parts to replace versus the standard comprehensive where the glass guys often use aftermarket glass. However, there likely won't be aftermarket glass for the bronco for a few years, so the only glass will be OEM.

Also, I'm assuming at some point my front windshield will crack because that's the nature of these flat faces (e.g. happens to Jeeps all the time), and I'll want to use a gorilla glass replacement anyways rather than the OEM glass.

OP
OP

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok so when I went in it was 800 for 5 years of glass coverage basically chips (which my ins would do for free) and cracks up to 6ā€

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just repeat along with me - "No, No, NO NO NO, HECK NO!" And say that to every other thing the Finance guy wants to sell you. I get it, it's their job, but I politely say "I'll be declining every extra add-on that you will be offering, so please save both of our time and don't even bother".

My auto insurance pays for such things via comprehensive and I've had 1 replacement in about 20 years, and a couple chips fixed.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you were upsold. "original equipment parts replacement" means they'll get OEM parts to replace versus the standard comprehensive where the glass guys often use aftermarket glass. However, there likely won't be aftermarket glass for the bronco for a few years, so the only glass will be OEM.

Also, I'm assuming at some point my front windshield will crack because that's the nature of these flat faces (e.g. happens to Jeeps all the time), and I'll want to use a gorilla glass replacement anyways rather than the OEM glass.
You really think it was take years to have aftermarket glass when thereā€™s 200k Broncos out there getting their windshields pelted with rocks? Serious question. Iā€™d prefer to have the OEM glass anyway so it seems worth the $120/yr or whatever it was. My wife has a 2021 Palisade with a fancy windshield camera so it covers her too. And body panels. Probably gonna leave it at this point. Unless there is a gorilla glass option eventually and I will reconsider. The factory option on jeeps is dirt cheap.

Sponsored

ou812545

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E60 M5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I first heard of this, I thought it covered replacements, but it only covers repairs for cracks up to 6 inches.

What is not covered by WindshieldCARE?
See your Agreement for exclusions and limitations.
Here are some examples:
ļ® Replacement of the front windshield
ļ® Damage to areas other than the front windshield
ļ® Stress cracks or cracks over six (6) inches
ļ® Damage caused by hail, vandalism or neglec

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You really think it was take years to have aftermarket glass when thereā€™s 200k Broncos out there getting their windshields pelted with rocks? Serious question. Iā€™d prefer to have the OEM glass anyway so it seems worth the $120/yr or whatever it was. My wife has a 2021 Palisade with a fancy windshield camera so it covers her too. And body panels. Probably gonna leave it at this point. Unless there is a gorilla glass option eventually and I will reconsider. The factory option on jeeps is dirt cheap.
Serious answer, yes I think it's likely. There aren't 200K Broncos out there. Ford only sold 3,396 in the 3rd quarter that ended September 30th. The fourth quarter number will likely be much bigger but 200K broncos roaming the trails and backroads is still a long ways off. I think the very earliest there would be aftermarket glass will be end of 2022, beginning of 2023. Most likely is 2023 given the crazy supply chain issues everyone is having. I have a neighbor that bought a ranger because he couldn't wait any longer for his bronco. Right away a rock cracked his windshield and the dealership had to wait weeks for a replacement OEM windshield. Ford is selling over 30,000 rangers per quarter.

As for Gorilla Glass, Gorilla Glass just came out in 2021 for Jeep. Who knows how long it will be for a gorilla glass option for the bronco, but that would be my first choice when it's available and I've cracked my OEM windshield.

406g

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I told myself absolutely no dealer extras, but actually we did get this on the wifeā€™s RAV4. $680 for 5 years for up to $5,000 in total coverage at $0 deductible (and includes OEM replacements). Our comprehensive deductible is $500 so it will pay for itself after one replacement, which is essentially guaranteed where we live.
Sponsored