Sponsored

Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate?

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what Toyota started putting on the FJ after they added a camera. Hole is mostly protected from weather with the ledge over the indent. Works great unless you upgrade the tire size from factory like I did. Not the most beautiful solution, I agree. But it gets the camera up and away from the road which allows for a wider range of view. All vehicles are full of tradeoffs like this. I'd rather have the camera than lose it for aesthetic reasons but YMMV.

Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? image2
Sponsored

Ocnorb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am sure that Ford has engineered the tailgate to handle the weight of the spare. You can see in some shots (check the 2-door cargo space thread) where there are two latches which would help. In any case, I am sure that rear bumper with tire swing-out arms on them will become a thing. It will be interesting to see how people deal with the backup cam and third brake light though.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a solution for everyone who doesn't like losing a spare cover because of the camera. And the truck's owner is clearly a Marine, so doubt at your own risk.

Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? 9b1ca445e2419a293cb521987bfa8e4a

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 1991 Mustang GT, 1992 Mustang LX, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 1998 Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We added a Rough Country relocation bracket to our Wrangler (315's) and while it clears the bumper, it is a lot of stress on the swing gate. I would imagine Ford engineered it to properly handle the weight. Jeep only offers a 33" max and that seems to be the engineered design max without additional support. The swing gate squeaks and rattles with only 23K miles and no rough off-roading.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have not been unfortunate enough to have a flat while off-roading. *knocks on wood* However, depending on the situation, I am hopefully winching myself outta the mud or off the rocks first. I guess I should have said your bad day is gong to get worse if you gotta lay down in the mud/rocks to fish out your spare tire from underneath.
Versus backing into it and trashing TG in tight 1/4's. Seen that happen way more times than having to get at spare, after winching to flat ground. Ideally, I'd like to see it inside or no TG and right on outer edge for wheeling (aftermarket will take care of that) and maybe a smaller spare on TG for street.

Hope aftermarket comes out with a real TG too and a top with lift up window.

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We added a Rough Country relocation bracket to our Wrangler (315's) and while it clears the bumper, it is a lot of stress on the swing gate. I would imagine Ford engineered it to properly handle the weight. Jeep only offers a 33" max and that seems to be the engineered design max without additional support. The swing gate squeaks and rattles with only 23K miles and no rough off-roading.
Ford has confirmed that all tailgates are designed with the weight of the 315 tire in mind. No modifications will be necessary

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a solution for everyone who doesn't like losing a spare cover because of the camera. And the truck's owner is clearly a Marine, so doubt at your own risk.

Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? 9b1ca445e2419a293cb521987bfa8e4a
This may be the best thing that I have seen on this forum yet! And it raises so many questions:

Did the Marine’s grandma spend a lot of time making it as gift, and now they feel obligated to reluctantly keep it on the spare tire for the rest of time?

Did the Marine make it him/herself? How many people have had their teeth knocked out for laughing at it?

Does the spare tire appreciate how much love was put into making it a hand-knit sweater?

Where can I get one?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This may be the best thing that I have seen on this forum yet! And it raises so many questions:

Did the Marine’s grandma spend a lot of time making it as gift, and now they feel obligated to reluctantly keep it on the spare tire for the rest of time?

Did the Marine make it him/herself? How many people have had their teeth knocked out for laughing at it?

Does the spare tire appreciate how much love was put into making it a hand-knit sweater?

Where can I get one?
Good questions!! You forgot one. How many flat tires has he had from people thinking it was a bow and arrow target?

Southern frog

First Edition
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep liberty
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? 20200820_182430
seen a jeep today with a cover and camera

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My concern is coming off a waterfall/drop off catching the tire on a rock and push in the tailgate. I rather have a swingout gate for the mount because they save your tailgate. This is a flawed design to have it mounted on the tailgate.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmmm, it is, but more importantly it is not practical nor functional

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure Ford engineered it to support the entire weight of the largest factory wheel possible.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
whatever.... Some of you need to lighten up and not be herded thinking everything Ford does is perfect and do not lose track and realize I am a Ford guy too. To each own, but I think about functionality and common sense. Perhaps because I have been wheeling 37 years and been there done that. Have a nice day.
Sponsored

Last edited: