Sponsored

Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Rear view camera drove that decision

It can't be a separate swing away holder because then the camera would also have to be mounted on the same swing away holder

That camera really is going to mess with people, guys that want a spare tire cover, guys that want to relocate the spare.....
A swing camera. Now that would be interesting. ?
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It can't be a separate swing away holder because then the camera would also have to be mounted on the same swing away holder

That camera really is going to mess with people, guys that want a spare tire cover, guys that want to relocate the spare.....
Jeep owners are making it work

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also - the swing out tire on the Bronco II eventually cracked the tailgate at the latch point. Fewer moving parts = fewer points of failure.
Nope, the ecoboost guys told us ZERO difference in reliability with extra parts............

ericmario

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I plan on taking off the spare and hopefully the mount is removable and rear camera can be relocated onto a decklid. I prefer this look over the tire on tailgate look

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The gate mount is the only realistic option. Throw a 35 in the cargo area and you have no more room for gear. Mount it underneath like most suv/trucks and you are in for a really bad day if you get a flat while stuck in mud/ruts or a harry rock crawl/trail situation. I have had a 35 on my Jeeps swing out gate for year with no problems and the Bronco hinges "appear" to be more beefy. I am also willing to bet a separate swing out gate/arm is one of the 200+ accy's to be had from Ford.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The gate mount is the only realistic option. Throw a 35 in the cargo area and you have no more room for gear. Mount it underneath like most suv/trucks and you are in for a really bad day if you get a flat while stuck in mud/ruts or a harry rock crawl/trail situation. I have had a 35 on my Jeeps swing out gate for year with no problems and the Bronco hinges "appear" to be more beefy. I am also willing to bet a separate swing out gate/arm is one of the 200+ accy's to be had from Ford.
Just curious, how are you getting the flat tire off, stuck down in this mud, or jack up a truck to change it, in the hairy offroad situation? Most Hi-lifts suck on perfectly flat ground.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious, how are you getting the flat tire off, stuck down in this mud, or jack up a truck to change it, in the hairy offroad situation? Most Hi-lifts suck on perfectly flat ground.
I have not been unfortunate enough to have a flat while off-roading. *knocks on wood* However, depending on the situation, I am hopefully winching myself outta the mud or off the rocks first. I guess I should have said your bad day is gong to get worse if you gotta lay down in the mud/rocks to fish out your spare tire from underneath.

DennisMurray

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Most of Toyota's recent 4WD vehicles (Land Cruiser, 4Runner, GX platforms) have had the spare mounted underneath. In many cases, that becomes no longer usable as soon as you increase the tire size at all and replacement bumpers and bumper mount carriers become favored.

Also - depending on design - the mounting of the spare under the body can reduce departure angles.

Both the 4 door and 2 door share the same total of 73" of length outside of the wheelbase - with some of that being just bumper - so I have to imagine the distance behind the axle would be a tight fit for any spare, not even considering exhaust or fuel tank limitations.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most of Toyota's recent 4WD vehicles (Land Cruiser, 4Runner, GX platforms) have had the spare mounted underneath. In many cases, that becomes no longer usable as soon as you increase the tire size at all and replacement bumpers and bumper mount carriers become favored.

Also - depending on design - the mounting of the spare under the body can reduce departure angles.

Both the 4 door and 2 door share the same total of 73" of length outside of the wheelbase - with some of that being just bumper - so I have to imagine the distance behind the axle would be a tight fit for any spare, not even considering exhaust or fuel tank limitations.
Certainly not enough room for a tire, perfect amount of room for air compressor/tanks.

Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't agree more with this. After I bought my FJ, I thought I would have the same concern. I upgraded to 33s and had to remove the factory spare cover because it no longer fit. Worried about dirt, damage and the overall look. Thought I should put it in the back, or on the roof. All of that created issues I hated more. Five years later, it has never bothered me in any way to have it on the back. It's easy to keep the camera clean, which you will find yourself doing regularly during the sloppy winter months. I use my tailgate constantly, and the FJ's is very wide, but the hinges have always been strong. It blocks the view slightly, but it has never really affected me, and you get over it. I just don't see any other way to do this that doesn't cause worse problems or inconveniences. Jeep and Toyota made it work, and I trust Ford will, too.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anyone have pics of the 4 door cargo area. Can you at least fit a 35 inside there?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's a very safe bet that the aftermarket will go nuts with the Bronco. On my FJ I ran an Expedition-1 rear bumper. It took the tire off of the rear door and moved it to the tire carrier on the bumper. The rearview camera was nearly identical to what the Bronco will have. The camera stayed in place on a supplied bracket. The tire carrier was connected to the door so when the door was opened the tire moved with it. Very slick setup. https://www.exp-one.com/products/fj-cruiser-rear-bumper/

elfshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I suspect the aftermarket will handle some of this. But I assume if Ford is selling 35's the gate will be good enough to handle 35's, so not too worried about rolling off the dealer's lot.

My YJ had a tire mounted to the swing gate and so does my Liberty (stop laughing) and it never posed an issue (though I wasn't running 35's on the YJ - but there were plenty of aftermarket bumpers to deal with that if needed).

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

They make spare covers that have a hole for the camera.
Sponsored