Sponsored

Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My concern is coming off a waterfall/drop off catching the tire on a rock and push in the tailgate. I rather have a swingout gate for the mount because they save your tailgate. This is a flawed design to have it mounted on the tailgate.
Then it looks like a $1000 aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier will be in your future to take the weight off the tail gate. This will securely hold of the tire on a structural steel designed tire carrier instead of sheet metal. It’s not a flawed design, it is a cost effective design that works for 99% of 4wd owners.

I went that route on my Jeep With an atlas tire carrier.
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never had a vehicle with a tail mounted spare so I will reserve judgment till when I see it and have time to really look at it. As it stands now, I'm kinda feeling it may move to the cargo area on a cool pre-runner style rack.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Tailgate mounted spare was never an issue with my Suzuki Samurai. Had a hardtop, door did go out of alignment when I rolled the truck tho, don't think the vehicle was designed for inversion.

• Haha
Reactions: N3T

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
....As it stands now, I'm kinda feeling it may move to the cargo area on a cool pre-runner style rack.
Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? D5EF63DC-BB15-4235-9CD9-8B1C6C8E79FD

A 4 door wrangler and a bronco are about the same size. In that picture is a 33” MT tire. If you put a pre runner style rack inside the cargo compartment you will loose all that space. A spare tire probably will not even fit on a rack inside the Bronco. Remember the rack is gonna lift the tire about 8” above the floor.

Tailgate mounted spare was never an issue with my Suzuki Samurai. Had a hardtop, door did go out of alignment when I rolled the truck tho, don't think the vehicle was designed for inversion.
A little Suzuki samurai has tiny tires so it hanging off the tailgate should never be an issue. You start to move into 33” tires your looking at 100+lbs. Even more with 35” wheels. Problem is driving on rutted roads and having that 100 lb wheel eventually damaging the tailgate. its will not be a problem for mall crawlers that never drive off road.

Any Jeep owners had their spare messed with?
Get wheel locks on the spare if theft is a possibility. I did recently have my high lift stolen last month. Dork had a 3/4” socket to remove the two bolts holding it down on top of my tire carrier.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Did Ford make a mistake bolting the spare directly to tailgate? D5EF63DC-BB15-4235-9CD9-8B1C6C8E79FD

A 4 door wrangler and a bronco are about the same size. In that picture is a 33” MT tire. If you put a pre runner style rack inside the cargo compartment you will loose all that space. A spare tire probably will not even fit on a rack inside the Bronco. Remember the rack is gonna lift the tire about 8” above the floor.
IMHO there isn't enough cargo space to really worry about. It is just a thought, something I want to look at. I do have reservations about the longevity of the tailgate with the tire mounted to it. It really is all speculation at this point.

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not that I knew of, it was always as I had left it.

And to be honest, despite a dwindling faith in humanity, even leaving change in the console, or sunglasses in a cup holder, I have never had anything taken from either a CJ-7 or a JKU.

However, when parking topless when I had doors, I was always sure to "idiot-proof" it by rolling up the windows and locking the doors.

Here's to an inherent sense of morals!

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, a none issue.

This none issue is right in there with plastic bumpers.

If you’re going relatively hardcore off road, chances are, you’re replacing bumpers. And if you’re worried about the spare, chances are you’re ponying up for a dedicated carrier, or putting it on top, in the back, etc.

if you’re worried about caving in the tailgate, a dedicated tire carrier probably isn’t the solution.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tailgate mounted spare is a non-issue if it was designed well by the manufacturer. My FJCruiser had it and it was fine. Upgraded to 33s and it was a non-issue. The Bronco will be fine.

Oh and whoever said 33s means 100 lbs...you need to go check you info. It is not.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
BFG MUD TERRAIN T/A KM3 33 X12.50R17 weigh around 68bs and add some Method race wheels 28lbs you are 96lbs. Just saying. Obviously non-offroad tires or cheap ATs will weigh much less.

ManufacturerBFGoodrich
BrandBFGoodrich
ModelBFGOODRICH® Mud-Terrain T/A® KM3
Item Weight68 pounds
Product Dimensions32.5 x 12.5 x 32.5 inches
Item model number01898
Manufacturer Part Number01898
Cover IncludedRims not included
Special FeaturesTread-Attack Tread Design, Mud-Phobic Bars, Krawl-Tek Technology, CoreGard Max Technology
Section Width12.5 Inches
Aspect Ratio12.5
ConstructionRadial
Rim Diameter17 Inches
Load Index Rating120
Speed RatingQ
Tread Depth18 32nds

Last edited:

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been brought up before, all that weight... Especially a 35...on that swing gate. Pretty sure Jeeps use a separate tubular hinged mount for the spare? And this opens up a lot of aftermarket cargo goodies to mount to it.
I really don't see this will happen with the Bronc, and that's a shame... And missed opportunity..
I'm sure Ford's engineers are smart enough to engineer it to support the largest tire they offer. I"m sure anything aftermarket Jeep offers are just there to support anything bigger than what the factory offers.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 2007 JK that ran 35x12.5r17 on ATX Artillery 17x10 rims. Conjoined weight would have been right at 100 lbs. I never had an issue with that weight hanging off of the tailgate, however it was at the upper limit as far as physical size clearing the bumper and high mount brake light. I would assume with the physical size limitation that the engineers had an upper design weight to match the mounting system. As far as offroad, living in the mountains of north east Alabama gave it plenty of opportunity to become stressed. Assuming the Bronco is at least an equivalent build, I'm not worried about hanging at least a 35" off of it. If you are using the bumper or tire as a ground contact stepping off of rocks or obstacles, you will definitely want something aftermarket. Just my prior experience and opinion in a competitive vehicle, your mileage or experiences may have a different result.
Sponsored