Sponsored

Did I screw up my order? No rear locker.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought all the Broncos technically had "open diffs"... some come with lockers... and all have the ability to independently apply brakes to mimic a limited slip.
Well like that one web clip showed.. I guess I just figured those that didn't have lockers in the rear, at least had limited slip (except maybe base).

But to find out you can buy a BD or OBx with only open diff 4x4.... Well hell, that's called a Sport :sneaky:
Sponsored

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the Outerbanks without a rear locker also. My former F150 had the locker and I never used it. I now have a F250 Tremor so I figured if I was going to be doing anything too crazy I would rescue the Bronco with the truck however, your usage sounds about like mine and I think we will be fine.

Tires will be my first upgrade for the OBX. In my opinion, outside of crazy uneven technical trails, tires can make all of the difference.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was at an off-road park with a group on an obstacle that had us on two wheels. A lifted FJ Cruiser was stuck and had to engage the rear locker. I was in a JLU with LSD (no locker) and breezed through easily. My buddy was in a JLU with no limited slip or locker and breezed through easily on the electronic traction control. Locker is overkill for almost everyone. You can do a LOT of trails without a locker. The kinds of trails that typically require a locker are not the kind most people are going to be doing in a new $50k Bronco. I wouldnā€™t sweat not getting it.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im gonna tell you a secret that ā€˜Big Lockerā€™ doesnā€™t want you to know..

For the average driver, airing down your tires to 20 PSI will get you way further down the trail and in FAR more comfort when compared to a rear locker. Second are your tires - put on a good pair of AT, like the KO2s from BFGoodrich.

Also, TRAIL CONTROL will get you over most obstacles without ever needing a locker. Itā€™ll use traction control/antilock braking systems to limit free wheel spin and keep traction.

Donā€™t stress about it if you canā€™t change your order. Those few things will get you farther than any rear locker alone.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Omg... Thought I knew almost everything about the Broncos but never knew the OBx came with Open Diffs.
It's $800 (but does lower you gear ratio). Now I will say, adding a rear locker later down the road is much more feasible than doing the front IFS, but it's going to be alot more than 800.
What do you mean that making a rear locker is going to cost more than $800??? I have a mig welder. ;)

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can add air lockers after the fact... they can be very handy in that Georgia mud/clay.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I'm not much of an off roader. As a matter of fact, the Bronco will be the first 4WD vehicle that I've owned... which isn't completely true I guess, since I did own an AWD C4S 911 at one point. That is another story though.

My wife is the one who really wanted a Wrangler as our 2nd car, so we crossed shopped Wranglers hard before the Bronco was released. We found ourselves in the Sahara trim with the Wrangler, so the trim that most closely matched that seemed to be OBX for the Bronco. I was pleasantly surprised that the Bronco was what I perceived to be a better value vs. the Wrangler with standard features. The wrangler seemed to nickel and dime you all the way to 55k basically. We were able to build our OBX package at around 45k which I feel is fair for everything that we are getting with it.

Order was placed. All was good.

Then I started reading this forum, and the one item I am kicking myself for not selecting is the rear diff lock. Up until now, I had no idea what it even meant. I just figured 4WD standard Bronco would pretty much be able to go anywhere. Now I'm regretting not selecting the option for performance as well as resell value.

Did I make a bad decision as far as this goes? Being a relative newb, who has NEVER done a trail but plans on trying to get into it am I going to get this thing stuck easily? The only mod I planned on doing was upgrading the tires to 33 to give it a better look, but I figured the Bronco with base 4WD would be more than enough for me. Now I'm kicking myself for having a build without the rear locker.

I see a ton of comments by people who have ordered the rear lock, but what about those who have knowingly forgone it. Does anyone in that category have any regrets or reasons for skipping it? Thanks a ton from an off-road newbie.
"Most likely" (grain of salt because I do not know how it where you will drive your truck) the drivetrain computer and GOAT modes will be more than enough for you. Will you possibly lose it on resale value (if that matters at all anymore) depends where you trade it in.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess I didn't know what I was missing driving my 1995 manual 4runner for 260,000 miles, all out West, much on very hairy old mining roads, through sandy canyon bottoms, across deep rivers. It had no locking diff, just a stick and 4WD low.

Sponsored

miked47

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I'm not much of an off roader. As a matter of fact, the Bronco will be the first 4WD vehicle that I've owned... which isn't completely true I guess, since I did own an AWD C4S 911 at one point. That is another story though.

My wife is the one who really wanted a Wrangler as our 2nd car, so we crossed shopped Wranglers hard before the Bronco was released. We found ourselves in the Sahara trim with the Wrangler, so the trim that most closely matched that seemed to be OBX for the Bronco. I was pleasantly surprised that the Bronco was what I perceived to be a better value vs. the Wrangler with standard features. The wrangler seemed to nickel and dime you all the way to 55k basically. We were able to build our OBX package at around 45k which I feel is fair for everything that we are getting with it.

Order was placed. All was good.

Then I started reading this forum, and the one item I am kicking myself for not selecting is the rear diff lock. Up until now, I had no idea what it even meant. I just figured 4WD standard Bronco would pretty much be able to go anywhere. Now I'm regretting not selecting the option for performance as well as resell value.

Did I make a bad decision as far as this goes? Being a relative newb, who has NEVER done a trail but plans on trying to get into it am I going to get this thing stuck easily? The only mod I planned on doing was upgrading the tires to 33 to give it a better look, but I figured the Bronco with base 4WD would be more than enough for me. Now I'm kicking myself for having a build without the rear locker.

I see a ton of comments by people who have ordered the rear lock, but what about those who have knowingly forgone it. Does anyone in that category have any regrets or reasons for skipping it? Thanks a ton from an off-road newbie.
I think your fine. I ordered the OBX with 3:73 open too. The higher gearing will be appreciated a lot more than a locker would to me. I had a Nissan pickup 4x4 and would take it down some rough trails and climbed rocky hills. It had open diffs and it did perfectly fine.

Glue Guy

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Add it. Makes a big difference when itā€™s needed.
Sponsored