Sponsored

Did the KOH great drive along videos change your mind: Manual vs. Auto?

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, I want to personally thank all of the future Bronco owners for providing great feedback on their Bronco rides this past weekend.
When I first watched the videos, I was even more excited about my order. However, after watching them a few times and really reading all the feedback, I found myself thinking that I should get a Auto instead of the manual I already selected.

Yesterday, I finally was able to read a great review of someoneā€™s drive along with a Manual and that put me at peace with staying with Manual (100%) Here are my reasons.

1. Almost all reviews state that 2.3L seems to have more then enough power for 97% of the drivers out there.
2. I have had many manual cars in the past and love them all.
3. I am not an experienced in riding manual in hills / mountains so I was nervous about not having some of the tech that comes from auto / 2.7. However, I read about the ā€œHill Decent Controlā€ (On MT as well) and I feel more confident about getting a manual.

I am super excited about my build!!

Did watching the KOH videos change your mind one way or another?
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ainā€™t gonna lie, it did have me questioning my manual choice for a sec, but Iā€™m going to stay with it.

Hjhof

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It didnā€™t change my transmission choice, it did however have me change from Black Diamond 2.7 with Mid to Badlands 2.3L with high. Only about a 4k difference for all that extra tech and off road features.

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not going to lie, watching the KOH videos had me second guessing getting a manual... for about 30 seconds šŸ˜

But seriously, the 3 things you cannot get on the manual; awesome power of the 2.7L, trail turn and one pedal driving are all great features and I wish you could get them on the manual.

For me, its still not enough to get me to give up my manual. But its damn close šŸ˜µ

Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 is the full package. Im happy for manual peeps but ford has to do something about the fact that people want control of their vehicles AND power/features

I hope the manual sells well enough for ford to put it in the 2.7

or at least give people paddles or something

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m still getting a manual but I think Iā€™m now getting 4 door. The bronco just isnā€™t as big as I thought it was. 4 door still seems nice and nimble.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would love to have a M/T for a daily driver again but all the plates and pins in my ankle make it tough to work a clutch for long drives,thats why i got rid of my 85 Capri RS.Hopefully the auto with selectshift will be as fun

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m still getting a manual but I think Iā€™m now getting 4 door. The bronco just isnā€™t as big as I thought it was. 4 door still seems nice and nimble.
4 door and 2 door are almost exactly the same size.

2 door looks miles better and more aesthetic , however the 4 door is more capable utility wise because of its storage and passenger arrangements.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

2 door looks miles better and more aesthetic , however the 4 door is more capable utility wise because of its storage and passenger arrangements.
yeah this is exactly how I feel. The bronco wouldnā€™t be our go everywhere vehicle as a 2 door, as much as I would prefer itā€™s good looks and simplicity day-to-day. It was a hard realization but Iā€™m glad I came to it.

Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It didnā€™t change my transmission choice, it did however have me change from Black Diamond 2.7 with Mid to Badlands 2.3L with high. Only about a 4k difference for all that extra tech and off road features.
Yeah, those videos made the swaybar disconnect and 360 camera look pretty damn cool, but even if I switch my mid 2.7L mod top BD down to a 2.3L mic top BL high, its still $1,500 more.

While the 2.3L will be more than adequate off road, realistically for everyday driving, I need something that has more power punching from 70-90mph passing on a two lane and much prefer the mod top over the mic top. Our 285hp 4600lb 4dr wrangler with stock 32" tires feels anemic on the highway, and I definitely don't want less hp for a 5000lb+ vehicle with aerodynamics worse than a cow and 35s.

However, if I had an extra $4,500 to spend, I'd get the BL 2.7L high mod top in a heartbeat.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Lol, wut? 16+ inch wheelbase and length difference.

Aka 16% wheelbase and length difference. Totes exact same size

Hjhof

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, those videos made the swaybar disconnect and 360 camera look pretty damn cool, but even if I switch my mid 2.7L mod top BD down to a 2.3L mic top BL high, its still $1,500 more.

While the 2.3L will be more than adequate off road, realistically for everyday driving, I need something that has more power punching from 70-90mph passing on a two lane and much prefer the mod top over the mic top. Our 285hp 4600lb 4dr wrangler with stock 32" tires feels anemic on the highway, and I definitely don't want less hp for a 5000lb+ vehicle with aerodynamics worse than a cow and 35s.

However, if I had an extra $4,500 to spend, I'd get the BL 2.7L high mod top in a heartbeat.
I feel that, my commute is 20 miles of single lane twisty roads that cap out at 35mph speed limit so I know Iā€™ll be fine with the 2.3l even with the occasional road trip, I have plenty of experience modding 4 cylinder turbos with my WRX that if I find it too sluggish I know the right things to mess with to fix it, especially if Ford offers some warranty covered parts.

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, I want to personally thank all of the future Bronco owners for providing great feedback on their Bronco rides this past weekend.
When I first watched the videos, I was even more excited about my order. However, after watching them a few times and really reading all the feedback, I found myself thinking that I should get a Auto instead of the manual I already selected.

Yesterday, I finally was able to read a great review of someoneā€™s drive along with a Manual and that put me at peace with staying with Manual (100%) Here are my reasons.

1. Almost all reviews state that 2.3L seems to have more then enough power for 97% of the drivers out there.
2. I have had many manual cars in the past and love them all.
3. I am not an experienced in riding manual in hills / mountains so I was nervous about not having some of the tech that comes from auto / 2.7. However, I read about the ā€œHill Decent Controlā€ (On MT as well) and I feel more confident about getting a manual.

I am super excited about my build!!

Did watching the KOH videos change your mind one way or another?
I just posted my write up from my experience with the 2.3L manual BL, I agree with all of your reasons. Youā€™ll be very happy with the manual.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With the KOH videos and the most snow we've gotten in a few years, that cemented my 2.7 auto selection. Tail Turn Assist in the snow!!!!! All the offroading I have around here is mud, washed out gravel and dirt roads, and the occasional snow without traveling a few hours to an ORV park.
Sponsored