Sponsored

Did the KOH great drive along videos change your mind: Manual vs. Auto?

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not going to lie, watching the KOH videos had me second guessing getting a manual... for about 30 seconds 😁

But seriously, the 3 things you cannot get on the manual; awesome power of the 2.7L, trail turn and one pedal driving are all great features and I wish you could get them on the manual.

For me, its still not enough to get me to give up my manual. But its damn close 😵
I'll trade all those three for the ability to instantly find neutral with my left foot.
Sponsored

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KOH reviews sold me on A) non-squatch and B) manual (gotta change my profile pic) + I can get a roof rack for my BL. Was initially thinking i NEEDED the 2.7 auto. After seeing the KOH videos and reviews it seems the 2.3 man will be more than adequate for my purposes. Plus I can take the 2.7 and auto $$$ and use it for accessories(or to cover the registration tax :( ).

papsblue

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, I want to personally thank all of the future Bronco owners for providing great feedback on their Bronco rides this past weekend.
When I first watched the videos, I was even more excited about my order. However, after watching them a few times and really reading all the feedback, I found myself thinking that I should get a Auto instead of the manual I already selected.

Yesterday, I finally was able to read a great review of someone’s drive along with a Manual and that put me at peace with staying with Manual (100%) Here are my reasons.

1. Almost all reviews state that 2.3L seems to have more then enough power for 97% of the drivers out there.
2. I have had many manual cars in the past and love them all.
3. I am not an experienced in riding manual in hills / mountains so I was nervous about not having some of the tech that comes from auto / 2.7. However, I read about the “Hill Decent Control” (On MT as well) and I feel more confident about getting a manual.

I am super excited about my build!!

Did watching the KOH videos change your mind one way or another?
Honestly, I also thought I *needed* the 2.7 based on how my Cherokee currently screams driving over Vail pass... I was never even considering the 7MT. But I definitely am now. Possibly pushed me away from Squatched OBX to the ManLux BL for a CO DD. Like someone else mentioned, most of my driving is on LONG 2-lane highways... it'll probably be fine. (Now I just have to decide if the power seats are worth the $2k upgrade for leather!)

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KOH reviews sold me on A) non-squatch and B) manual (gotta change my profile pic) + I can get a roof rack for my BL. Was initially thinking i NEEDED the 2.7 auto. After seeing the KOH videos and reviews it seems the 2.3 man will be more than adequate for my purposes. Plus I can take the 2.7 and auto $$$ and use it for accessories(or to cover the registration tax :( ).
Yes, why spend $3500 plus tax more for more power I don't need and transmission that at best won't annoy me?

Plus as a bonus I save 150lbs or so. (I am disappointed in the weight of the Bronco, but understand that extra weight in the right places is worth it. Let's just hope it is in the right places.)

Phantom

Badlands
First Name
MA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would really love to get the manual but living in cold ass MN I need the auto start. It’s great to hear that the 2.3 is more than enough but think I’ll stick with the 2.7

Sponsored

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, I want to personally thank all of the future Bronco owners for providing great feedback on their Bronco rides this past weekend.
When I first watched the videos, I was even more excited about my order. However, after watching them a few times and really reading all the feedback, I found myself thinking that I should get a Auto instead of the manual I already selected.

Yesterday, I finally was able to read a great review of someone’s drive along with a Manual and that put me at peace with staying with Manual (100%) Here are my reasons.

1. Almost all reviews state that 2.3L seems to have more then enough power for 97% of the drivers out there.
2. I have had many manual cars in the past and love them all.
3. I am not an experienced in riding manual in hills / mountains so I was nervous about not having some of the tech that comes from auto / 2.7. However, I read about the “Hill Decent Control” (On MT as well) and I feel more confident about getting a manual.

I am super excited about my build!!

Did watching the KOH videos change your mind one way or another?
I had a manual TJ and absolutely loved it on trails, hills, etc because you can control everything in the vehicle. It's almost Zen, in a way, because you can control engine speed which is huge for different surfaces and angles. I'd go with the manual again, except I'm super hesitant when it comes to powering a 4 door with the 2.3. I also like the other options you get with the auto, such as one pedal and trail turn assist. The trail turn will help offset the added length of the 4 door in tight trail situations.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

KoH videos confirmed I want manual Badlands, non Squatch, with high package.

One pedal letting the Bronco drive for you features turn me off, and are exactly the reason I want manual. Wish trail turn assist was available on a manual, and the 2.7 for damned sure, but I think the 2.3 will be lively with me managing the shift points. I've never encountered a situation in my JKUR where the necessity for Trail Turn Assist is anything more than a cool momentary convenience gimmick, and with a two door Bronco: even less necessary.

These videos and reviews were very confirmational.

Pork-n-Bean

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moon Vehicle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The vids didn’t change my mind on powertrain, but totally sold me on the high package!

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The impressions made me more comfortable about having the 2.3L.

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. I was on the fence between AT and MT. This convinced me I want AT (in a 2 door):

Ford Bronco Did the KOH great drive along videos change your mind: Manual vs. Auto? BroncoDonut

Sponsored

Chase Gentry

Wildtrak
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 and 2016 TRD Tacoma & 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
KOH photos hope I posted in the correct thread I’m new here 🙏

8C658096-AC94-4ACF-8F22-801708C5ED29.jpeg

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was ecstatic to hear the KOH reviews. I am a big fan of the way Ford is tying it together with off-road racing heritage and design in Ultra 4 and Baja. If Ford offers some of those race truck modifications in the Ford Performance catalog they are going to get a lot of money from me.

I am still struggling with my order. Keep the 4 door FE or go 2 door 2.3 manual badlands. Same off roading with 2/3 the price? Seems to be a lot of value there, but I want the wife to enjoy it so I am leaning towards the FE.

I am still willing to sell my soul for a manual 5.0 with Nav delete.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes. I was on the fence between AT and MT. This convinced me I want AT (in a 2 door):

Ford Bronco Did the KOH great drive along videos change your mind: Manual vs. Auto? 8C658096-AC94-4ACF-8F22-801708C5ED29
Would that tight turn feature work at slow speed on a mountain switchback? Those are primarily the only times I would have liked a tighter turn, at least for my type of off-roading. It's an interesting feature though.