Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta push the electric vehicle industrial complex's agenda. Passenger car diesels getting 50mpg and driving almost like a regular petrol car would reduce the EV take rate.
Yea....gotta lead the sheep to slaughter......

80% of americans are mindless
Sponsored

Escape Hatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 GTI, 19 Atlas SE w/ tech R Line V6 4 motion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7 is a rather torquy motor, not sure the need for the diesel. If it is for MPG I would think a hybrid would be added prior to a diesel allowing a bit more power and better mileage.

Buckleup45

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
10 years ago I'd be all over it but modern diesel emissions standards just create a ticking time bomb for expensive repairs if you don't treat them tediously. Cost of entry is more expensive, fuel is more expensive, oil changes are more expensive, you have to add DEF every few thousand miles, etc. The ROI just doesn't pencil to me and these little ecoboost turbos put out gobs of torque at low RPM similar to diesels.

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does Ford have a smallish state side diesel? The 3.0L used in the F150 isn't very compact and doesn't look like it would fit.
Not to my knowledge. Transit Connect was supposed to get a 1.5L diesel, and Transit was supposed to get a 2.0L mill in this market, but Ford's canceled both plans.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
10 years ago I'd be all over it but modern diesel emissions standards just create a ticking time bomb for expensive repairs if you don't treat them tediously. Cost of entry is more expensive, fuel is more expensive, oil changes are more expensive, you have to add DEF every few thousand miles, etc. The ROI just doesn't pencil to me and these little ecoboost turbos put out gobs of torque at low RPM similar to diesels.

Very true, diesel vehicles make up the largest category of "mechanical" repossessions for new vehicle loans. Basically the repairs are so expensive they exceed the value of the vehicle so the owners just abondon them and allow them to be repossessed.

rotorwrench

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R Nine T, R1200RS, Outback, Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After VW dieselgate, I doubt you’ll ever see a small displacement Diesel in any US bred/EPA regulated grocery getter. Big oil likes selling gas.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't think it'll ever happen. Although giving the Bronco the 3.0 PS would be a neat configuration. The take rate would be very low.

That being said, If they offered a diesel with a beefed up 7 speed, it would be the easy choice for me.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I desperately want a SUV where one passenger plus a cooler of beer exceeds the payload rating because all of the heavy+delicate emissions equipment.

We had a VW Touareg TDI, and 30+ mpg in a vehicle that weighed 3 tons and could tow almost 4 was cool. But the emissions system was a Rube Goldberg contraption of pumps/sensors/filters that all liked to grenade and result in it sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks while they waited for some part to arrive by carrier pigeon from Germany, and that emissions system wasn't even doing anything.

I don't even blame the emissions regulations, because we don't have to imagine what America would be like without them. In the 1970s, the soot clouds were so bad you couldn't see the tops of skyscrapers in American cities.

Diesel has its place, but it's not in light-duty vehicles any more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta push the electric vehicle industrial complex's agenda. Passenger car diesels getting 50mpg and driving almost like a regular petrol car would reduce the EV take rate.
This 100%
Sponsored