Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I donā€™t see why the plugs have to be changed. Iā€™d think just some fuel system components.
Diesel is kinda sticky and different consistency as gas, and plugs are cheap in the grand scheme of things so probably just replaced them to cover all bases.
Sponsored

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where I live many of the diesel pumps have the exact same size filler as the gas pumps. Very few stations have the larger nozzles here. Could vary by location but it's definitely not a safe assumption.
Really interesting, as I thought this was a law in the US, so I looked it up. It is not.
https://www.epa.gov/fuels-registrat...p/retail-locations-will-diesel-dispenser-have

All diesel nozzles that I have seen in Wisconsin and many other states were larger, but good to know. They are obviously clearly marked.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

on a good note fuel system is well oiled now until its flushed.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

About 5 years ago the local Sheets had the same issue. Driver put diesel in the unleaded tank.

Most shops around here replaced fuel pump,filters, plugs and injectors along with flushing the lines.

I can see the cats being effected as well. Fuel mixture being off and plugging them up.

Sheets paid for every repair.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really interesting, as I thought this was a law in the US, so I looked it up. It is not.
https://www.epa.gov/fuels-registrat...p/retail-locations-will-diesel-dispenser-have

All diesel nozzles that I have seen in Wisconsin and many other states were larger, but good to know. They are obviously clearly marked.
We have both sizes here in Maine. Normally big rigs and construction equipment will use the larger nozzle as they pump more volume. The smaller nozzle is typically for passenger cars and pumps less volume. The larger nozzle will not fit the passenger cars.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dislike driving into OR ( live in ID) as I donā€™t want an attendant touching my vehicles. ( I m picky).

I pumped gas 10 years before I went to college at the family station back in the 60 s/70 s ā€¦.. some attendants could be easily replaced by a monkey and the work quality would improve dramatically. A suggestion when you re in a place where you canā€™t pump your own fuel; stay at the pump and watch the process closely, I do !šŸ˜. Hope your Bronco gets up and running quickly with no after effects.

Spartan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
glad the gas station is owning up to it. this has been my biggest fear as the bronco is the only non diesel i've owed in the last 7 years even my wifes car is a diesel and she is so used to going to the green pump
Diesel pumps have a different shape/width of the nozzle.

You can't put them in a regular gas tank at least around where I live.

Prevents this from happening.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My daughter works for a Toyota dealer and they have a bulk tank onsite for gas to fill new and used vehicles on the lot. 3 weeks ago their fuel supplier put off road diesel in their tank (dyed fuel). No one noticed till cars started running bad. Someone dipped the tank and saw the dye. Enough gas mixed in that you couldn't really smell the diesel. Fuel supplier pumped out and is standing all repairs. Hard part is trying to find affected vehicles as they had sold 40+ vehicles in the 2 days before it was caught.

esquirebdc

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys, unfortunately I stopped for fuel on Sunday and had my Bronco filled up with super unleaded. (full service station) Unknown to anyone there was a mix up when the fuel was delivered and the delivery guy put diesel in the underground tank. I only made it a half mile up the road when i lost power and got check engine light. The vehicle had to be towed into my Ford dealership. I will keep everyone updated on the repairs, the cost anything else. The Ford technician said the tank needed to be drained and filled with fresh fuel, oil changed and new spark plugs. Good thing for me, the gas station told me they will cover everything 100% towing, repairs and the fuel I purchased.

CA79B08B-CCA0-44A4-9E9F-6E5553FF29A0.jpeg

DD447068-6E68-474B-9543-6BDA242C86F7.png

39732C3B-5D18-4D66-8E42-6B6B62AD6501.png
As an attorney I can tell you to BE SURE you don't waive future rights for damage down the road. Hate to see you take the "repairs" and sign off on all damages and then 30,000 miles later your engine goes and have nobody to lay the liability on. Engine damage can be immediate... or can take a long time. Just leave the door open in any document you sign basically to say that this is for current and known damage and not future potential damage that is currently unknown.

Just my .02.

Sponsored

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t see why the plugs have to be changed. Iā€™d think just some fuel system components.
we had a employee put diesel in our unleaded truck, they had to replace the whole engine. Besides it's on the gas station's dime I would make them replace everything that could have even been remotely effected

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dang, mixing up diesel/gas in the tank seems to be making the rounds on Reddit r/justrolledintotheshop as well. Maybe some solar flare activity causing this craziness. Normally you think it can't happen due to many gas stations using different sized nozzles to help prevent, but sounds like in OPs situation tanker filled the wrong tank? I know I have also seen it when people don't pay attention to labels on gas cans as well.
Good luck OP. Hopefully a fuel line flush and dealing with the injectors will take care of everything.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
we had a employee put diesel in our unleaded truck, they had to replace the whole engine. Besides it's on the gas station's dime I would make them replace everything that could have even been remotely effected
Sounds like the company boned the employee out of a free 0 mile engine. The only other thing that could get jacked is the emissions system if it ran for any amount of time.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good thing for me, the gas station told me they will cover everything 100% towing, repairs and the fuel I purchased.
Get.
It.
In.
Writing.
Sponsored