Sponsored

Diesel motor for the Ranger maybe Bronco too .

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not even for the Ranger here in US market.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah that diesel engine isn't going to happen for the US market—overseas only. The Ford Ranger sold today offers 4 different diesel powertrain options. None of those are available in the US.

In most areas of the world, diesel fuel is cheaper than unleaded. And even in the countries where diesel fuel is slightly more expensive per gallon (like Austrailia)... the fuel economy on diesel engines makes up for the increased fuel cost.

In the United States, it's the opposite. State governments tax the crap out of diesel fuel as an indirect way to to levy an additional tax on businesses. Until that changes, we won't be seeing diesel engines on vehicles like the Ranger.

Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hopefully no diesel in Ranger/Bronco here,I REALLY hate working on the euro inspired pos 3.0 powerstroke in f150's,Technicians nightmare!

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the United States, it's the opposite. State governments tax the crap out of diesel fuel as an indirect way to to levy an additional tax on businesses. Until that changes, we won't be seeing diesel engines on vehicles like the Ranger.
Really?

Here are several Ranger and Bronco like vehicles with Diesel engines:

GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado with 2.8 liter Duramax

Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator with 3.0 liter diesel

Not saying a diesel Ranger or Bronco will happen but if it doesn’t it won’t be because of state taxes.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really?

Here are several Ranger and Bronco like vehicles with Diesel engines:

GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado with 2.8 liter Duramax

Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator with 3.0 liter diesel

Not saying a diesel Ranger or Bronco will happen but if it doesn’t it won’t be because of state taxes.
Other manufacturers are willing to do it, but Ford won't. For the past 10-20 years Ford has traditionally been a lot more strict when it comes to powertrain choices in the North American market compared to other manufacturers. It isn't just limited to diesel engines either... their gasoline engines and transmission choices get the same treatment. The increased taxes on diesel fuel just adds additional fuel to the fire and pushes Ford to restrict it even more.

Overseas the Ranger, comes with 6 different engine options and a manual transmission option. In the North American market they have literally only a single option. The Ford Escape (called the Kuga overseas) comes with 7 different engine options with an available manual transmission. Here in the North American market we get 3 engine options and no manual transmission. You could rinse/repeat with all of Fords vehicles that are sold outside of the American market and find the same result.

Even with the Bronco... Ford only offers two engine choices, and they are both turbo charged gasoline engines. Meanwhile the Bronco's direct competitor (Jeep Wrangler) has five different powertrain options and they are all completely different: a hybrid, a V8, natural aspirated V6, turbo I4, and a diesel—there is something for everyone, it's great. Yet for some reason Ford doesn't go with that approach in the NA market.

Every now and then they try to offer more choices, but it never lasts. They offered the 3.0L diesel with the F-150 for three years, and it sold so poorly that it is now discontinued.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other manufacturers are willing to do it, but Ford won't. For the past 10-20 years Ford has traditionally been a lot more strict when it comes to powertrain choices in the North American market compared to other manufacturers. It isn't just limited to diesel engines either... their gasoline engines and transmission choices get the same treatment. The increased taxes on diesel fuel just adds additional fuel to the fire and pushes Ford to restrict it even more.

Overseas the Ranger, comes with 6 different engine options and a manual transmission option. In the North American market they have literally only a single option. The Ford Escape (called the Kuga overseas) comes with 7 different engine options with an available manual transmission. Here in the North American market we get 3 engine options and no manual transmission. You could rinse/repeat with all of Fords vehicles that are sold outside of the American market and find the same result.

Even with the Bronco... Ford only offers two engine choices, and they are both turbo charged gasoline engines. Meanwhile the Bronco's direct competitor (Jeep Wrangler) has five different powertrain options and they are all completely different: a hybrid, a V8, natural aspirated V6, turbo I4, and a diesel—there is something for everyone, it's great. Yet for some reason Ford doesn't go with that approach in the NA market.

Every now and then they try to offer more choices, but it never lasts. They offered the 3.0L diesel with the F-150 for three years, and it sold so poorly that it is now discontinued.
ford does not believe the american public can reasonably pick the correct choice of fuel at the 'gas' station if presented with the choice of a diesel power plant. o_O

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When i deployed to Africa, there are tons of Diesel Rangers and Diesel Land Cruiser / Hilux trucks. I tried so hard to get one on the bird back home, but no luck. Those Diesel Rangers are dirty as hell. So sadly no chance for America to allow them in. Gas is being shamed enough here. EV drivers are being even more smug about it too lol

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
gasoline particulate filters are in Europe, they will be here soon enough. ICE's will be regulated out of existence here without a single vote by the people, just a decision by a lifer at a Federal Agency that nobody voted in.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like the idea of a diesel. I had a VW with a diesel and absolute loved it. But it was short lived due to the recall.

With the Wrangler, I was getting quotes for the diesel. But in the end, in reality, diesels just don't make any sense unless there's a reason you specifically need that kind of torque.

I know politics need to be avoided. So let's just say that regulations have made owning a diesel for a average person almost impossible, definitely not worth it.

Between EGR, DPF, and DEF just makes no sense to own a diesel. I mean you are basically guaranteed that At some point you're going to have to replace 10k worth of equipment. Oil changes, fuel filters, and DEF will negate any MPG savings. Tie that into the extra cost of purchasing the diesel engine along with very expensive equipment failures at some point.. And you'll just never come out ahead.

GETSCHWIFTY

First Name
Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So if the bronco is based off the ranger… and there is a diesel ranger overseas….

is it possible to do a diesel swap on my bronco?
Sponsored