Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '21
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi, so I haven't found any information regarding this subject so let me ask here. Recently I got the chance to drive my friend's Wildtrak. The first thing I noticed right away was a different engine sound in the cabin compared to my Badlands. His was way deeper, louder and more growling overall. Mine on the other hand is really flat, lacking this cool growl. I can only hear exhaust ( which by default is not exciting at all ) and maybe a bit of a turbine. Both engines are stock, both exhausts are stock, both were tested on normal and eco mode. Did anyone notice the difference? What do you think may be the reason for that?
Do you think that engine sound is coming more from the speakers than the engine itself?

I am curious if anybody has noticed that too, thanks!
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't think it does. Something had to be different.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

different exhaust? sport mode? maybe those are differences between the 2?

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't hear any growl in my Wildtrak. When you are used to a 6.2 Raptor with CAI and Stainless Works exhaust. Thinking about a mod to the Bronco but that is down on the list for me.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't one have carpeting and the other rubber flooring? I've heard a few people mention that it makes a difference in the outside cabin noise between the two as well. Probably does the same for exhaust sounds.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are the trims for each? The B&O equipped broncos have engine noises piped into the cabin. I don’t remember now for sure on the lower trim stereo but I don’t believe it does.
I think this myth has been busted.

DrHam

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi SQ8, 2012 Audi R8 6MT Spyder, 2DBronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I do not believe there are engine sounds that go through your stereo. The only connection between your stereo and your engine is the volume setting can be adjusted to accommodate your cruising speed. So if you are moving faster (hence more ambient cabin noise) the stereo will automatically increase volume, and vice versa. You can adjust these settings to your liking.

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What are the trims for each? The B&O equipped broncos have engine noises piped into the cabin. I don’t remember now for sure on the lower trim stereo but I don’t believe it does.
Yea this isnt true at all.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
probably sport mode.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn't one have carpeting and the other rubber flooring? I've heard a few people mention that it makes a difference in the outside cabin noise between the two as well. Probably does the same for exhaust sounds.
This is my bet for the sound difference.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do not believe there are engine sounds that go through your stereo. The only connection between your stereo and your engine is the volume setting can be adjusted to accommodate your cruising speed. So if you are moving faster (hence more ambient cabin noise) the stereo will automatically increase volume, and vice versa. You can adjust these settings to your liking.
Interesting because there is a noticeable difference in engine noise/tone when I shift my 2.3L 7MT Badlands from Normal to Sport mode. It sounds waaaay more aggressive with my driving style the same. AFAIK the Bronco doesn't have any sort of active exhaust either.

DrHam

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi SQ8, 2012 Audi R8 6MT Spyder, 2DBronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting because there is a noticeable difference in engine noise/tone when I shift my 2.3L 7MT Badlands from Normal to Sport mode. It sounds waaaay more aggressive with my driving style the same. AFAIK the Bronco doesn't have any sort of active exhaust either.
You may be absolutely correct that engine sound enhancement for sport is tied to the active noise cancellation setting. Thanks for correcting me!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welcome to the forum. (y)

FWIW, this subject was debated pretty extensively in another thread, and @drew707, a Ford engineer, commented extensively on the subject.

There's fake ass engine noise, that is a fact. I don't know the exclusions of what gets it since I'm not in that section of Ford but I know that at the least the 2.7 engines do have it. It's been a standard feature in vehicles since 2015
No other vehicles with several different engines have it. The Bronco has it if you select the 2.7 but it may be dependent on trim, maybe the 2.3 as well but I can't say for certain. Test vehicles were generally the highest package and it was a funny topic early on but I didn't really think about it much
Okay just called my buddy. It is part of the ANC setup so yeah more prominent and or exclusive to vehicles with Lux. It's part of the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) so those without Lux either get a reduced version of the fake ass engine noise or none at all. I knew it was generally complained about for vehicles with higher trims. Anyways if you have Lux there is ANC in the DSP and you can turn it off with ForScan and see if it helps make it go away. @LightRefined

My original post in the ACM (Audio Control Module) is for Software ANC. Both may need to be disabled. Also both may not work. No clue but good luck. Weiners crossed

783-01-01*xxxxx--C=ANC Disabled D=ANC Enabled
I can't find a Bronco specific article yet, but I have definitely read that the Bronco has enhanced engine sounds via the speakers. Many car companies do it. VW does.

Ford will not say they are fake. They will say that are actual engine sounds that are enhanced. You judge whether that is weird or inauthentic or not. I personally never expected to hear awesome deep intimidating throaty engine sound from a 2.7 liter engine. Even the aftermarket exhausts for Broncos, sound like, well angry tuned Civics.

"Active Noise Control" is what they call it.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/ne...gh-mustang-speakers-to-make-cars-sound-better

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/ford-ranger-fake-engine-sound-disable/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/fake-engine-noise-441245/

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/thr...-the-fake-engine-noise-on-the-ecoboost.19585/
For specifics, and I guess it’s more than fake ass engine noise but this is from the CAN map of the Bronco. ANC (Active Noise Control) has been in use since 2015 with Ford vehicles.

ACM is the Audio Control Module and DSP is the Digital Signal Processor (B&O Amp)

8405ED7A-F70D-4756-AA77-002C11DB5243.jpeg

D4117BC8-9EE8-435D-99C6-4B98088AE441.jpeg
So there's two lines of codes, one is for software ANC which both a Base model and Lux model have the same setting which is on. The other line of code is inside the DSP itself which only applies to B&O systems. I think this is more of a hardware ANC and uses CAN data to determine how to attack nuisance frequencies. The software ANC uses the vehicles microphone to make attempts at countering them.

Like I said it's less of fake ass engine noise and more of eliminating bad tones which can affect how the engine does sound in the cabin. It's very very weak though and nothing near as detailed and accurate as a pair of Bose headphones with noise cancellation. But it is present on all models I have looked at for As-Builts, regardless of engine or package.
This is kinda what confuses me about this setting. Active Noise Cancellation is used to remove background or surrounding noises. This setting does the opposite. If it's enabled, it increases engine noise. Weird. That's why I was asking if it affected any other noises.
It’s not exactly accurate. The microphone has the technology of a pinecone.

I believe the audio engineers took stabs at guesstimating noises to isolate there really isn’t much depth in the system. And yes let me rephrase, the ANC filters out unwanted sounds but is also responsible for providing driver inspiring sounds. That’s how it was explained by a friend working with the systems. It’s more prominent on performance vehicles of course.
Of course, this was before the Mothership beamed him up and relocated him to Area 51. 🤨

Hope you’re doing well, Drew. We miss you buddy. :cry:

Last edited: