Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all!

I think I'm going nuts, so hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Last year, in preparation for my Bronco (which is still not here) I purchased some SS3 Sport pods lights from diode dynamics. After doing more research on wiring strategies based on some posts and YouTube videos, I realized it would probably work best to use one of the wiring harnesses offered by diode rather than run my own wiring. After emailing back and forth with diode, explaining that I wanted to be able to control the backlights separate from the primary lights, I was recommended to purchase the OEM Auxiliary Switch Dual-Output 4-Pin Wiring Harness. Upon looking at the specifications on the site, it didn't seem that there was a separate power cable for the backlights to run on, but I assumed that the customer service rep knew more than me as to how their products would interact, and that there would be a way to control each set of lights individually with this harness.

I just received the harness, and for the life of me, I cannot understand how I could possibly have the backlights on without the primary lights being powered. It seems to me that the one power cable that runs parallel to the grounding wire powers both sets of lights. Am I supposed to remove the blue backlight wire from the 4-pin connector and run a separate power wire from the aux switch to those removed backlight wires? Does that then mean I need to run a separate grounding wire? What's the point of buying the harness if I need to do so much extra diy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide!

Links to the parts below:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-3-sae-dot-white-sport-led-pod-pair.html

https://www.diodedynamics.com/oem-auxiliary-switch-dual-output-4-pin-wiring-harness.html
Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are two separate wires, one from the back of each deutsch connector that needs to be run to a separate auxiliary switch lead. (Labeled D1 and D2 in the diagram that you linked) Tie those two wires together and hook them to one of the low amp pre-wired aux switches. The backloght leads have a spade connector as they come from the factory. I just wired in my SS5's and decided to leave the backlighting for a rainy day.

Girldadx3

Badlands
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The red wire goes to aux switch wire to turn on main beams. The D1/D2 can be spliced together and go to second aux wire. That will control your backlight.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where are your installing three? Pillar lights? Do you have upfitters?

Sponsored
OP
OP
OffroadBandit

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are two separate wires, one from the back of each deutsch connector that needs to be run to a separate auxiliary switch lead. (Labeled D1 and D2 in the diagram that you linked) Tie those two wires together and hook them to one of the low amp pre-wired aux switches. The backloght leads have a spade connector as they come from the factory. I just wired in my SS5's and decided to leave the backlighting for a rainy day.
The red wire goes to aux switch wire to turn on main beams. The D1/D2 can be spliced together and go to second aux wire. That will control your backlight.
This is what I was missing. Thank you! I knew it was something obvious I wasn't considering. Thanks for your time to respond!

Where are your installing three? Pillar lights? Do you have upfitters?
Yeah, they're going on the pillars. I do have the switches from the factory on my build.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2015 VW Golf SEL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a set of SS2 with backlighting, in my bumper. I am going to see if I can get the backlight to turn on when the parking lights come on.

Need to do a little digging into wiring diagrams.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
OffroadBandit

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice! Thanks! That's perfect
Yeah it's why we held off offering SSC3 w/backlighting for the pillars. We were waiting on our harnesses to come in. Now that they are here, we offer the SS3 with or without back-lit for pillars

Sponsored

WldOne

Outer Banks
First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does this have an inline fuse and is it really necessary since the switches are connected to a fuse?
No there is no need for a fuse. The upfitters have a fuse

WSTP3

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak (2 door)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Backlit SS3s (and other pods) come with a short 3 wire pigtail with Deutsch Tech connectors. Red/Blue/Black. Literally all you need for an SS3 (or any backlit DD pod) install is just a length of wire and crimp/solder butt connectors.

The ground is already common for both backlight and main LEDs, so Black gets grounded. You wire the Red to the hero switch for the lights, and decide what you want to tap for the backlight to connect the Blue. Done.
Sponsored