Sponsored

Direct injection on the 2.3 a big concern for anyone?

rlondeen

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the 2.7 is on my order. However, I am not sure I care to have a 2.7 other than the fact that it has port + direct injection... Those more knowledgeable than me, is the direct-injection-only on the 2.3 a big concern for anyone?
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should do some searches on google and link back to this forum and Ranger 5G. I think it's a legitimate concern, but n a scale of 1-10? Maybe a 3 or 4? Newer DI oils should help, catch can is a proven solution. This is a DI issue globally, not 2.3 Ford specific.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t worry that it will be a problem. Itā€™s caused by motor oil leaking past the intake valve guides and there not being any gas to wash them off since the gas is injected directly into the cylinder. It can be an issue on some DI engines and not on others. With better valve guides (tighter tolerance) and a manufacture-specific oil, it can be a non-issue or not an issue until you reach 100,000 miles or more. Even then, cleaning the valves isnā€™t a hugely expensive endeavor. All my cars have had DI engines going back to 2007 and, knock on wood, I havenā€˜t had any issues yet. Technology gets better all the time.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not a concern at all for me. I had a vehicle with DI go over 200,000 miles with zero issues. Sold it to my next door neighbor a few years back and itā€™s over 250,000 now still with zero issues. Iā€™m in Montana so lots of wide open spaces, it might be an issue in urban areas, but I really donā€™t know. This is one of those things that on the internet sounds like a huge issue, but in real life is really very minor.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was worried after seeing the problem on 2013-16 Fords. When I search for ranger or late model problems not much pops up.

Sponsored

Bronck

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dead šŸ“

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm installing a catch can.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No. Not at all. Direct injection is only a problem when the engine is not operating as designed. Examples include over boosting which causes greater blow-by causing greater crankcase pressures causing more volatiles in the PCV system. Using the wrong oil can cause similar effects. Over fueling can cause dilution of engine oil causing more stuff in the PCV system.
running it like itā€™s designed shouldnā€™t result in too much carbon buildup in the intakes and there are simple treatments if it ever gets to the point where there is a problem.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think it'd be too big of a deal. Having port injection to help clean the valves will allow for more tanks of non-top-tier gas to be mixed in. Basically, with a 2.3L, I'd ONLY put in top tier detergent gasoline, whereas with the 2.7L it could probably go 50/50 with top-tier gasoline usage. Either way, doing a seafoam treatment just before the throttle body every 10k miles or so should take care of any excess carbon build up from a lack of port injection in the 2.3L

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Make sure you're not doing short trips frequently (like around the corner) and do the occasional Italian Tune-Up and you'll have nothing to worry about.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My only concern with the 2.3 was that every time I lose a stoplight race I would regret not getting the 2.7.

I am getting the 2.7
Sponsored