Sponsored

Dirt Mountain Hardtop Delivered With Original Defective Part!!!

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, if the engine has the dreaded 121 Lima Engine Plant sticker
You're in the range "...21172..." is the 172nd day of 2021, June 21st.
Most of us are just running it and "wait and see". Not much else you can do.

My engine is "...21160..." so, right at the beginning of some of the grenaded engines.
2600 miles so far and no issues yet.

BTW, that top looks far better than my 1.0 MIC. Scratches, color inconsistent, snake skin, and all the panels don't line up very well. All the open edges on the back clamshell are coated in black RTV. Still waiting for a replacement.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-blown-engine-fail-list-26-so-far-jan-14-update.31951/
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford will probably refer back to one of my favorite Esteban's phrases to explain this...

5j7836.jpg

Seriously though, not many know the severity of the 2.7 issue. Follow the 2.7 boom thread as that has the most up to date info.

As for the top... ya mine is the same too.
Everytime I see that, it amazes me as to Esteban's and Ford's disregard for customer knowledge, like none of us deal with complicated formulas everyday, like people that can afford a new Bronco somehow have less than a normal IQ's. I guess he did his customer surveys with Walmart, McDonald's and Taco Bell employee's.

Last edited:

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There should be a label on each section that allows you to figure out whether it was 1.0 or 2.0. I suspect the real reason why they parked those vehicles at Dirt Mountain was penny pinching. People have reported that their front and middle panels were 2.0 vs. The rear was 1.0. IMHO, Ford would have been better to just ship the trucks and promise to replace the top when Webasto production of 2.0 ramped up.

Also, those cosmetic flaws could be touched by a paint shop if they had the correct surface prep info from the manufacturer. I think it required removing any oils/waxes from the molding process and the right paint for a strong chemical bond. I think people have been applying a dark gray epoxy to some of the edges for a quick fix and to prevent further deterioization while they wait for a replacement top.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the inside of the MIC clamshell—I think in the rear corner—there should be a sticker with a production date for the top. Curious what that date is.

Sponsored

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's my Dirt Mountain MIC 2.0, welcome to the club!!!

Ford Bronco Dirt Mountain Hardtop Delivered With Original Defective Part!!! 1642599962307

Ford Bronco Dirt Mountain Hardtop Delivered With Original Defective Part!!! 1642599976587

Ford Bronco Dirt Mountain Hardtop Delivered With Original Defective Part!!! 1642599989671

Be on the lookout for leaks in the front center and both driver and passenger side A pillars. There is a TSB for the front header seal to be replaced if you experience leaks.... I had mine replaced... It don't seem to leak in the center anymore but it sure as hell still leaks from the A pillars and on my front seats! They also supposedly "took lots of pictures and submitted them to Ford" about the quality of my top. The TSB mentioned above clearly states:

NOTE: The header seal must be completely sealed to the body. Any gaps between the header seal and body
may result in further water leaks.

I don't think it was installed correctly and will more than likely need to be replaced again. I can see some of the adhesive backing coming out from the edges which is more than likely where the water is creeping in still. It defiantly didn't look like that from the factory....

I also have a 159 Julian date 2.7 with 3200 miles.....

I'm blessed to have my Bronco and really enjoy it besides the known issues and problems. However, as a first year model, we are unfortunately the paying beta testers for a brand new product....

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There should be a label on each section that allows you to figure out whether it was 1.0 or 2.0. I suspect the real reason why they parked those vehicles at Dirt Mountain was penny pinching. People have reported that their front and middle panels were 2.0 vs. The rear was 1.0. IMHO, Ford would have been better to just ship the trucks and promise to replace the top when Webasto production of 2.0 ramped up.

Also, those cosmetic flaws could be touched by a paint shop if they had the correct surface prep info from the manufacturer. I think it required removing any oils/waxes from the molding process and the right paint for a strong chemical bond. I think people have been applying a dark gray epoxy to some of the edges for a quick fix and to prevent further deterioization while they wait for a replacement top.
Mine has a sticker that stays “primer applied 9/17/21” but as you can see from the previously posted pictures, it seems that Ford tried to save a few dollars and just touch up my roof. Waiting for replacement, but at least I have the Bronco this time.

OP
OP

Roxxolid

Badlands
First Name
Rox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update.

I took delivery after I was assured that I have a new top on order. In fact, I was told that it was already on order before it was shipped.

Why wouldn't the manufacturer communicate that to me, after all the emails I received from Ford updating me on the situation.

Also, the sales team told me that the 6th month holdup on the delivery was due to a chip which was missing.

Loyal Ford guy here, glad to be driving the new Bronco. Fingers crossed on the engine.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My replacement came in really quick, minus the passenger side front panel that broke in shipping and the headliner. It is overall a vastly superior top to the supposed 2.0 from before
Sponsored