Sponsored

Disabling safety features for off-road use. Questions?

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Sport was able to drive away after the rollover.
"The team then went to work on preparing for extraction from the Puerco, the spark plugs were pulled and cleaned and the fluids were checked, thank you to everyone that was able to get the engine working again. This thing started first crank after spending the whole night upside down, amazing. Unfortunately, during the recovery we tore a valve stem on one of the wheels, but once we had the vehicle back on the trail we were able to change out his tire and he was able to drive out under his own power."
Ford Bronco Sport Rolls Down Hill Onto Roof, Drives Away After Rescue (motor1.com)
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford used to have a relay in the passenger side kick panel for the fuel pump. In the event of a rollover the relay/breaker would trip killing the fuel. Once back on it's wheels there is a red button on it to reset it. No idea if this carried over to the Bronco.

OP
OP
Thoos

Thoos

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Thoos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford used to have a relay in the passenger side kick panel for the fuel pump. In the event of a rollover the relay/breaker would trip killing the fuel. Once back on it's wheels there is a red button on it to reset it. No idea if this carried over to the Bronco.
"Like it or hate it, Fords Inertia switch was still a great safety feature. But why then would Ford stop using them? The simple answer is, they haven’t. Granted modern Ford vehicles do not still use the switch with the red button, however they still utilize a fuel pump shutoff feature. The modern switch is much more accurate, so it won’t be as likely to leave someone stranded after hitting a pothole. You also cannot manually turn it on and off. The switch is activated by the restraints control module. So now, when you get a collision damaged Ford vehicle towed in that will not start, you cannot just push the reset button. Per the Ford repair manuals: “Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances, the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.”

So, this safety feature is still being used, it has just evolved to become more user friendly."

This was from the link another user @Gotdesl posted.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you thought of one of these? Skip the bells and whistles and safety features and just worry about wheelin' and rollin'.
Ford Bronco Disabling safety features for off-road use. Questions? 1623268278823

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Be careful getting complacent about airbags needing a hard collision to go off. This is my buddy's brand new van. Hit a small deer and sprung ALL of the bags, front and sides, that bumper is the extent of the collision damage.
Just educate yourself on how to re-set the truck so it is operable.
I have wheel my Land Rover hard enough to trip the fuel inertia switch but never poped an air bag.
Another thing to consider is some airbags sensors read the angle of lean not necessarily impact alone. If you are on your side or upside-down in gear your likely have an issue.

26276.jpeg

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Edit: It is becoming obvious that there are more mom-mobiles and board room execs than actual wheelers on this message board because y'all are missing the point. Its clear that some of you have never had a newer vehicle disable itself 50 miles from a paved road because of a superfluous airbag deployment. Believe me, if you actually off road seriously, having minor damage disable your vehicle unnecessarily is a legitimate and potentially fatal issue that seems to be overlooked.

I tried to use the search feature and found nothing addressing this question.

What sort of "safety" features does the Bronco have that are capable of disabling mechanical operations?

I know that many new cars with all this "unnecessary tech";) will often kill the fuel pump, engine, call on-star, and send a message to your insurance provider to tell them to jack your premiums:LOL: whenever the on board computer identifies an impact (or catches someone texting....o_O)

Now, I have laid over or rolled more than a few trucks doing silly stuff over the years and often its no worse than rolling it back over and doing a quick bumper/fender field repair and kicking out some glass before we are on our way again. EDIT: back to civilization and a place to do proper repairs.

Is that sort of jackrabbit engineering still a reality? If I'm back40 in the bush, is my pony going to tell me its done having fun after I let it take a quick dirt nap on its side because some "safety feature" told the truck that an accident happened and shuts it down?
Probably at some point the electronics will say “no mas”. Almost all modern vehicles have fuel shut off due to high pressure in the system. Many of these issues can be rebooted or defeated, but there are definitely conditions that will kill the party in some situations. I will take a modern vehicle over points, condenser, carb etc, although I can make those older vehicles run when they shouldn’t at times 😊

Last edited:

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yesteryear Ford and a few others used impact modules that disabled the fuel pump. To keep potential fuel from spewing all over a crash scene. They were resettable. I don't believe manufacturers use those any more.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jesus, what a sh*tshow this thread is. This is why I come here. Top quality content.

I want to party with OP, but we are gonna take his truck and leave mine at home.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It saddens me to say this, but you (and me) should avoid the MID package. It comes with the Co-Pilot 360 with pre-collision assist, automatic emergency braking and lane-keeping system. None of those items need to be on a vehicle that goes off-road. I don't trust the systems enough or even know if they can be disabled 100%, so I'd prefer not to have them at all.
K8PJIA3.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thoos

Thoos

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Thoos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jesus, what a sh*tshow this thread is. This is why I come here. Top quality content.

I want to party with OP, but we are gonna take his truck and leave mine at home.
Sounds good brother! I'll go bush whacking with ya! Hoping to get a hog hunt going and try out these removable doors!

You better bring your truck in case we get mine stuck... Never go wheeling without a wingman!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Thoos

Thoos

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Thoos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It saddens me to say this, but you (and me) should avoid the MID package. It comes with the Co-Pilot 360 with pre-collision assist, automatic emergency braking and lane-keeping system. None of those items need to be on a vehicle that goes off-road. I don't trust the systems enough or even know if they can be disabled 100%, so I'd prefer not to have them at all.
Ford Bronco Disabling safety features for off-road use. Questions? K8PJIA3
Yea, but then the winch screws all that up anyway since it blocks cameras and censors... The packages are a disaster. Should have been à la carte.

All that stuff is waisted on someone like me. I will never use it.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seriously though, they better have an easy way to shut off that damn beeping/warning every time you come up close to an obstacle. I heard it too many times in all the demo ride-along videos.
I ignored the higher trims and any of the packages specifically because of the beeps.

But I also got the steel bumpers to allow for a love tap on a bollard here and there, so grain of salt etc.
Ford Bronco Disabling safety features for off-road use. Questions? images

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs