Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s not like a dealer can even fix something like this if itā€™s a software issue. Hopefully, itā€™s a bad sensor somewhere. If so, it would be nice if the software detected the bad sensor and displayed a code vs. just limping along and throwing unrelated error messages. Yay for software.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. Like stated above, immediate action whenever something like this happens is a doors open restart. Turn it off, open/close the door and turn it back on. Opening/closing the door is critical.
2. This type of issue with drive mode Ford vehicles is not new. I personally have experienced along with many others in vehicles like the GT350 with the exact same dashboard warnings and inability to do anything, seemingly for no reason. Again, do a door open/close restart to clear it
Okay, now this isn't funny anymore. What the hell are you supposed to do in a Bronco when your doors are off? Do you have to get out a chewing gum wrapper and make contact with something in the door jamb? That's insane that a door needs to be opened and closed to reset a computer error. What am I getting myself into with buying a Ford?

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is analogous to the problems experienced by software controlled and fly by wire aircraft. If you are letting a computer algorithm determine important things like angle of attack, you have catastrophes like the 737-max, or the lack of feedback to the pilot that have caused Airbus crashes. https://www.fastcompany.com/1669720/how-lousy-cockpit-design-crashed-an-airbus-killing-228-people

ā€¦But I drive a 53 year old motorcycle. And worked in aerospace and the pilot training industry.
Damn, you have me beat. Oldest is an ā€˜82 Yamaha XT250, newest is an ā€˜88 BMW R100GS.

Sponsored

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Okay, now this isn't funny anymore. What the hell are you supposed to do in a Bronco when your doors are off? Do you have to get out a chewing gum wrapper and make contact with something in the door jamb?
So the reason for opening/closing the door is due to telling the vehicle to "shut down" faster since you would be technically leaving it. However, that's not the only method to doing a full shut down. The alternative method is waiting the 15-30 seconds until all the lights and electronics turn off.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the reason for opening/closing the door is due to telling the vehicle to "shut down" faster since you would be technically leaving it. However, that's not the only method to doing a full shut down. The alternative method is waiting the 15-30 seconds until all the lights and electronics turn off.
Canā€™t wait for this to happen when Iā€™m showing my buddies my $55k new bronco on the trail

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Canā€™t wait for this to happen when Iā€™m showing my buddies my $55k new bronco on the trail
The beauty of electronics, if we are lucky Ford will release an OTA to address this if it happens (goes viral) enough. I think the primary reason this happened was being in the wrong mode. Too much wheel spin by being in the wrong mode for rock crawling freaked out the computer.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay. I see youā€™ve revised your previous post. (y)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

say what now? this has happened before? on a demo drive nonetheless? there has been no mention of it anywhere!!!

Well this video with Shelby Hall was made during the Tennessee SC. Starting @ 22:00 she starts talking about having problems and states about how it doesn't matter what mode you are in and how you can just manually do things.

And shortly after, she uses the front locker and then the SBD and things go haywire. Although not widely talked about, the info has been out there. Just have not heard much about it until now since customers have started to use their Broncos. I would have thought Ford would have looked into it but maybe not. Maybe they relied on the pre-production thing and just thought it was "no big deal".

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the primary reason this happened was being in the wrong mode. Too much wheel spin by being in the wrong mode for rock crawling freaked out the computer.
Well... I would think a 'mud' setting would expect some wheel spin - mud tends to be slippery. As you say, hopefully an update is all thats needed, but it's disconcerting that an unexpected behavior for a given mode would scramble the system. There should be tons of variability built into these modes, rather than expecting the driver to switch the instant the terrain changes a bit...

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The jeep transfer case lever seems a pain to engage between 4h 2h and 4l at times and impossible to move. Thought bronco life would be easier with the rotary, oops.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is probably a additional way to restart the system. The Wrangler I have now had an issue where it thought it was not in park and I couldnā€™t start the vehicle. The computer system would not clear and I couldnā€™t start the vehicle until I pushed start and held the button for 30 seconds.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So 30,000 to 35,000 is what, like 1/3 - 1/2 of the converted first week reservation orders?

Agreed, I figured this out the hard way by switching to a soft top. Big mistake considering its still a badlands, sas, lux, tow build. Now it will still slip to '22 and it wont be exactly what I wanted :confused:

At this point all I want is Ford to call it and communicate to us a conservative estimate, and the only reason I can think they are not doing that (remember they promised it by end of May) is that they are afraid they'll lose sales.
I always found it interesting that in the pro driver videos and off rodeo vids they engage an exotic GOAT mode in situations where I wouldn't think it would be needed. Maybe this is why, to let the nannies know they are about to experience something out of the ordinary.
You could be right. So much talk about being able to disengage the sway-bar mid-obstacle that we may have failed to notice that you canā€™t engage GOAT modes mid-obstacle.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Isn't this the guy that didn't know BD had blue accents until it showed up?

I wouldn't rule out operator error just yet.
Lol, I thought that this was exactly what the GOAT modes were created for, the novice off roader.
Sponsored