Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let's check! Looks like nope.
You do have to go into N for to access 4L though. Doesn't say it in the manual because it pops up on the dash and wont try to shift the t-case unless you're in neutral.
Sponsored

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You just pull it backwards...and a lever never fails due to electronic issues;)
I've only engaged and unengaged three times so far. I have to jiggle with it for couple mins to get into 4lo. Once it's there it stays there like a persistent house squatter. Manual says shift while moving 2mph, but being in one place, switching in and out of neutral, wiggling, all 3 times it took me 5 minutes to get it out of 4lo, everytime just before giving up all hope of getting it out of 4lo
Edit: switching between 2h and 4h is much less trouble

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see the ABS light is on when he has trouble. My son's Tacoma had an ABS wheel sensor (actually the wiring) go out and it would not shift into 4x4. This is sad. Ground clearance issues also :( somebody quick post a happy talk video!
Noticed that right away too. Why is the ABS light lit? Would think that may be the reason for the 4wd mode not activating to prevent further issues..?

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Q: Is the Bronco supposed to allow you to choose GOAT modes while it is in PARK? (Since no one called it out so far, i assume the answer is yes.)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Noticed that right away too. Why is the ABS light lit? Would think that may be the reason for the 4wd mode not activating to prevent further issues..?
I think the SOF system uses ABS sensors to determine if you're spinning a wheel. If so it will not allow a 4wd shift and subsequent grinding. In my son's Tacoma, since it will only shift to 4wd when moving slightly, the bad ABS senor said one wheel was stationary and would not shift.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Q: Is the Bronco supposed to allow you to choose GOAT modes while it is in PARK? (Since no one called it out so far, i assume the answer is yes.)
A shift to 4L or a GOAT mode that uses 4L requires the transmission to be in neutral to allow things to align properly.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was wondering this myself. Why does it have to be neutral and not park? Can it be either or?

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A shift to 4L or a GOAT mode that uses 4L requires the transmission to be in neutral to allow things to align properly.
Clearly there is something wrong, but when many of his error messages about 'drive mode unavailable' came up, I believe the car was in "Park." Thus - I could see those specific error codes to actually be "working as designed" if he truly was trying trying to select a GOAT mode while in P.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is sad. Ground clearance issues also :( somebody quick post a happy talk video!
Upgraded suspension/Bigger tires/A little lift/Sasquatch. Otherwise it just sits too low.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Clearly there is something wrong, but when many of his error messages about 'drive mode unavailable' came up, I believe the car was in "Park." Thus - I could see those specific error codes to actually be "working as designed" if he truly was trying trying to select a GOAT mode while in P.
Maybe, but I think the Owners Manual states it will alert you by saying something like 'Shift to Neutral for 4x4 shift" (to low range only)

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've owned three Jeeps, and always thought this was just how transfer cases were supposed to work.

Then I bought a 4Runner. The transfer case on it shifts like butter, and has since day one. I don't know what the hell Jeep is doing, but they need to spend some time studying Toyota transfer case shifters. The difference is stark.

But here's the thing. Toyota has had Multi-Terrain Select on the Taco and 4Runner for a while now. It functions much the same as Ford's GOAT modes, but has a more boring name.

On Toyotas, MTS works on top of whatever you're doing with the transfer case and rear locker. Sometimes it won't engage because you're going too fast, or haven't selected 4WD, or whatever. But it never interferes with vehicle operation.

I'm pretty concerned about electronics that will brick my forward progress until I restart the vehicle. It doesn't have to be that way. It shouldn't be that way. Hopefully this is a one-off, and not a sign of shoddy programing.

1626101893785.png
While I greatly appreciate all the input and opinions, alas, a REAL world comparison .... I wish people would stop comparing things to Jeeps and start looking on how Toyota has set the bar in dependability and QC .... after all Ford copied the "turn assist" from Toyota and has renamed many off road features to GOAT mode, but its basically the same functions.

Question is, have 4-runners, FJ's or Tacos experienced any of the issues in this video? I doubt it

Reactions: Axe

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So hopefully I can answer some questions about the video that seem to keep popping up :)

1. Why try and drive up hill in 2WD to start? Because it was for a Youtube video, where any offroad trails look way less significant than they are in person and it does not take long before the " My moms fiat could do that trail in reverse" comments. So wanted to show that no you can not drive over it it 2WD.

2. Sequence of events. After slipping first time in 2WD , put in Neutral and turned on Mud Rut mode, which I stayed in until next hill where I slipped a bit, reversed, repositioned and slipped again, that second slippage caused all the errors, and shifted back in normal mode. Was unable to change gear or made regardless of being in gear, in park, or in neutral.

Put in Neutral and was unable to select any mode, but was able to select 4Low and lock the diff with the dedicated buttons, but not change mode.

After getting to flat land was still unable to change modes, still had ABS lights and warnings, was not able to select 2WD (yes after unlocking the locker ). Turned off ignition, turned back on, was finally able to select 2WD but still had all warnings.

Drove about a mile in 2WD and lights and warnings all went away. Was then able to freely change modes once again like nothing ever happened.

3. He's an idiot. This may be true, and I may not be the expert some of you here are but, being in 4 wheel drive in Mud/Rut mode and having it kick me out at the first sign of some tire slippage and putting me back to normal mode is not something of my own doing.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s not like a dealer can even fix something like this if it’s a software issue. Hopefully, it’s a bad sensor somewhere. If so, it would be nice if the software detected the bad sensor and displayed a code vs. just limping along and throwing unrelated error messages. Yay for software.
This is why I got base.
The only difference between your Base and his Bronco is that you didn't choose the rear locker, anything else in power train is almost the same.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

wait, waht
So hopefully I can answer some questions about the video that seem to keep popping up :)

1. Why try and drive up hill in 2WD to start? Because it was for a Youtube video, where any offroad trails look way less significant than they are in person and it does not take long before the " My moms fiat could do that trail in reverse" comments. So wanted to show that no you can not drive over it it 2WD.

2. Sequence of events. After slipping first time in 2WD , put in Neutral and turned on Mud Rut mode, which I stayed in until next hill where I slipped a bit, reversed, repositioned and slipped again, that second slippage caused all the errors, and shifted back in normal mode. Was unable to change gear or made regardless of being in gear, in park, or in neutral.

Put in Neutral and was unable to select any mode, but was able to select 4Low and lock the diff with the dedicated buttons, but not change mode.

After getting to flat land was still unable to change modes, still had ABS lights and warnings, was not able to select 2WD (yes after unlocking the locker ). Turned off ignition, turned back on, was finally able to select 2WD but still had all warnings.

Drove about a mile in 2WD and lights and warnings all went away. Was then able to freely change modes once again like nothing ever happened.

3. He's an idiot. This may be true, and I may not be the expert some of you here are but, being in 4 wheel drive in Mud/Rut mode and having it kick me out at the first sign of some tire slippage and putting me back to normal mode is not something of my own doing.
wait what? why do you talk in first person? Bill, are you the man in the video? If so, thanks for this write up it definitely helps clear many questions!

Also, are you willing to duplicate the problem? to go to the same trail with a new video?
Sponsored