Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wait, waht

wait what? why do you talk in first person? Bill, are you the man in the video? If so, thanks for this write up it definitely helps clear many questions!

Also, are you willing to duplicate the problem? to go to the same trail with a new video?
Do you not notice the users names are similar?
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noticed that right away too. Why is the ABS light lit? Would think that may be the reason for the 4wd mode not activating to prevent further issues..?
Yup... And the service advanctrak warning. I still say ABS tone ring sensor

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Q: Is the Bronco supposed to allow you to choose GOAT modes while it is in PARK? (Since no one called it out so far, i assume the answer is yes.)
Noticed on all Rodeo videos and the rides out in Johnson valley, I think they all switched modes while stationary. Not really applicable here though.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wait, waht

wait what? why do you talk in first person? Bill, are you the man in the video? If so, thanks for this write up it definitely helps clear many questions!

Also, are you willing to duplicate the problem? to go to the same trail with a new video?
Yes is me in video, taking to dealership to have them give it a once over and look for anything silly like lose ground, etc, and run diagnostics, not expecting to find anything really but want to make sure they are aware.

WIll take it back out there again after they have taken a look.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After watching this video, she was having an issue with Sta-bar disconnect, she was not flipping from GOAT mode to GOAT mode. So I will not argue with you all, there may or may not be a software issue, I don't know. But what I know is that the GOAT modes adjust a ton of different parameters and you can not just flip one on, then immediately flip another one on. You can scroll through them quickly and they will not engage for a few seconds until you wait and choose one. So I think there are some getting used to this. Our instructor, who has 1000s of hours in the new Bronco, said to not engage a GOAT mode, then think "I want to try another one" so let's just flip it again. When you are outside the vehicle and a GOAT mode is engaged you can hear a lot of things happening. Just like a lot of electronics, you have to get used to how it works. So I think there is a large learning curve with this vehicle. Those who just buy one, and never educate themself on how to use it may have issues. Just my opinion. Time will tell if it is software error or user error.
Agreed. You have to learn to use the truck properly. But, there should be some failsafes in the software, and not some random, nondescript messages and lights on the dash. A warning when switching to Sand then to Baja too quickly: PLEASE WAIT: ENGAGING SAND MODE or some such. Maybe even a lock on the GOAT dial until the current mode is fully engaged that doesn't allow switching it too soon.

I'm a big fan, BTW, and can't wait for my Cyber Orange Outer Banks Sasquatch to be delivered!

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok, I didn't see any driver errors in here, he did everything he supposed to do. I would call driver error a dumb person trying to do trail assist in a parking lot or hoping to engage it going backward.

It's clear that there was a tech glitch on the GOAT mode and despite of that, He was able to engage everything "manually" which is perfect on this kind of scenario. GOAT modes was made to help novice drivers but The Bronco still can be a 4WD without the GOAT modes because everything is on demand.

I read someone concern about the funny noise during trail assist. It's normal as the ABS system is the one doing all the work. Have you ever engaged the ABS in your vehicle, It's the most uncomfortable feeling/noises that you can get in your vehicle, but that's how it works since it was introduce many years ago.

I hope Ford can get a solution to this GOAT issue but I'm also pleased to know that there is a troubleshooting process to make it normal again and also the fact that you can still going forward with all your 4WD capabilities.

I will be highly concern when you have to call AAA to get you to the closest dealer. I will be freakout if that happens. But this is not the situation.

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes is me in video, taking to dealership to have them give it a once over and look for anything silly like lose ground, etc, and run diagnostics, not expecting to find anything really but want to make sure they are aware.

Thanks for putting yourself out there with the video and the dialog. It is a great service to this community as we all learn about this vehicle regardless of what some keyboard warriors want to assert about the capabilities of their moms fiat.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
So hopefully I can answer some questions about the video that seem to keep popping up :)

1. Why try and drive up hill in 2WD to start? Because it was for a Youtube video, where any offroad trails look way less significant than they are in person and it does not take long before the " My moms fiat could do that trail in reverse" comments. So wanted to show that no you can not drive over it it 2WD.

2. Sequence of events. After slipping first time in 2WD , put in Neutral and turned on Mud Rut mode, which I stayed in until next hill where I slipped a bit, reversed, repositioned and slipped again, that second slippage caused all the errors, and shifted back in normal mode. Was unable to change gear or made regardless of being in gear, in park, or in neutral.

Put in Neutral and was unable to select any mode, but was able to select 4Low and lock the diff with the dedicated buttons, but not change mode.

After getting to flat land was still unable to change modes, still had ABS lights and warnings, was not able to select 2WD (yes after unlocking the locker ). Turned off ignition, turned back on, was finally able to select 2WD but still had all warnings.

Drove about a mile in 2WD and lights and warnings all went away. Was then able to freely change modes once again like nothing ever happened.

3. He's an idiot. This may be true, and I may not be the expert some of you here are but, being in 4 wheel drive in Mud/Rut mode and having it kick me out at the first sign of some tire slippage and putting me back to normal mode is not something of my own doing.
Thank you for your comments.

I have a question, there is a part of the trail where you put your camera on the ground to video yourself going through some mud, just after the glitch. I heard a loud sound but couldn't see any rock or something that could make that sound. After you picked the camera up, I was able to see the first warning on the instruments just in a fraction of second in the video. I think you didn't see it because you just continued on the trail and then in came the second slippery. That slippery came because you were already kicked out of the GOAT mode. You can see on you hero button that the rear locker were already disengaged at that moment.

Can you please describe why you got that loud bang just before picking up the camera from the ground? Was it a rock or something on the power train?

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for your comments.

I have a question, there is a part of the trail where you put your camera on the ground to video yourself going through some mud, just after the glitch. I heard a loud sound but couldn't see any rock or something that could make that sound. After you picked the camera up, I was able to see the first warning on the instruments just in a fraction of second in the video. I think you didn't see it because you just continued on the trail and then in came the second slippery. That slippery came because you were already kicked out of the GOAT mode. You can see on you hero button that the rear locker were already disengaged at that moment.

Can you please describe why you got that loud bang just before picking up the camera from the ground? Was it a rock or something on the power train?
That was a rock

Sponsored

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Thanks for honest write uP and video Looking forward to seeing more

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Noticed on all Rodeo videos and the rides out in Johnson valley, I think they all switched modes while stationary. Not really applicable here though.
Stationary is one thing, and being in neutral is also expected for some... but being in PARK is something else.

Again, maybe it should let you choose a drive mode even when in Park.... just not sure that's how they designed it.