BA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang/F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just saying but when you read the words "muddy, rutted, or uneven terrains", do you think of the puddle you played in as a kid or mud the likes of which would need the Bronco to get through? This is something you would use Mud/Ruts for:
cdf29b6a9d46e35bf37ba3e46e46bccd.jpg

This is why Terrain modes were a bad idea for the 1st iteration. The more tech you add, the more that can break. 4H, 4L, and front and rear lockers would have been enough to have a super capable machine.
I'm thinking the Bronco would have been on fire if it attempted this
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If I remember right, this driver put the Bronco in Mud/Ruts whilst driving on a loose gravel road. The owners manual clearly states that Mud/Ruts is intended for deep mud, not loose gravel. The absolute most that would have been needed here, in the worst situation would have been 4H. Now I agree with you that if the Bronco is freaking out this easily, that does not bode well at all and Ford needs to fix it NOW. I still contend the driver was dumb. You're supposed to test capability on the terrain the vehicle needs the capability to overcome.
Given the Black Diamond doesnā€™t have Baja, Mud & Ruts is what I would have chosen. The road was rutty, and none of the settings engaged should have cause the fault.

Last edited:

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From the looks of the video, you're not wrong lol.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If I remember right, this driver put the Bronco in Mud/Ruts whilst driving on a loose gravel road. The owners manual clearly states that Mud/Ruts is intended for deep mud, not loose gravel. The absolute most that would have been needed here, in the worst situation would have been 4H. Now I agree with you that if the Bronco is freaking out this easily, that does not bode well at all and Ford needs to fix it NOW. I still contend the driver was dumb. You're supposed to test capability on the terrain the vehicle needs the capability to overcome.
Because in 4 wheeling, you never go from mud ruts, to pure rock crawling, to loose smaller rocks, back and forth 100's of times a day (or more). If these modes are that finicky, what's the point.

Ahauser2010

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi and Company Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen a few videos (many from dealers) where the guy reviewing has no idea what they're talking about.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here awaiting my truck knowing every detail about the bronco that hasn't even been built yet!
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ when I did my test drive I was showing them everything that it does. Told me I should come sell Broncos for them

Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because in 4 wheeling, you never go from mud ruts, to pure rock crawling, to loose smaller rocks, back and forth 100's of times a day (or more). If these modes are that finicky, what's the point.
My point exactly. The best way to learn to off road is to just do it without the techy bits and make mistakes. That's how myself and many others learned to do it originally and I never had a rear locker on our old farm truck, just 4H and 4L: on the farm having to find a cow giving birth in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, or when a bull broke fence and ran off down the countryside on someone else's land, or on a muddy, snowy, and icy hillside so we could break ice so the livestock would have water. You learn to have fun with the terrain and learn things while you embrace the suck, lol.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Any chance we can get an update from the owner once he gets it diagnosed?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The number of assholes in this thread is very disappointing. I thought this was a good community, but thereā€™s some really bad apples here.

This could easily happen to any of us. Itā€™s not the driver. Itā€™s the vehicle.
Hey, do you own any mirrors? Wow... Talk about the A-hole that missed themselves.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bro, he had a bad ABS sensor reading, it's really no big deal and certainly NOT new or specific to the Bronco.

I am experienced off road, I have driven the Bronco off road, I am hear to tell you that the Bronco is an absolute BEAST.

Some advice: Maybe actually attempt to contribute to this forum instead of making worthless, unfounded, ignorant posts like this.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bro, he had a bad ABS sensor reading, it's really no big deal and certainly NOT new or specific to the Bronco.

Some advice: Maybe actually attempt to contribute to this forum instead of making worthless, unfounded, ignorant posts like this.
Ford Bronco Disconcerting video - Broken GOAT mode during off roading? 33aa5c160b89fabeb8d9ccd515c4143

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The owners manual states that if the vehicle senses a fault and a GOAT mode is unavailable the 4wd selection will revert to the previously selected 4wd mode, in this case 2wd. It might be a good idea to select the 4wd mode, 2H, 4H or 4L, before selecting your GOAT mode. That way if you have a fault at least you will be in the basic drive mode you need.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The owners manual states that if the vehicle senses a fault and a GOAT mode is unavailable the 4wd selection will revert to the previously selected 4wd mode, in this case 2wd. It might be a good idea to select the 4wd mode, 2H, 4H or 4L, before selecting your GOAT mode. That way if you have a fault at least you will be in the basic drive mode you need.
Let's just wait for the end diagnostic results. he has said he will post 'em as soon as he can.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks, that about summed up the whole issue I think, figured I could do some testing in my driveway to see if I can reproduce. Chock 3 wheels raise the 4th give it some gas and see if it kicks another ABS fault or not. Not exact same scenario as original fault but should be close enough to see if it's duplicatable or not. If so replace the sensor and call it good (hopefully) Plan to go around all 4 wheels like this just to see. will post an update.
There should be a code stored for this event which will tell why the TCS shut itself down. You can download Forscan and get a $30 diagnostic cable from Amazon and find out exactly what happened without doing the trial and error. This will also let you do fun things like turn off auto start-stop (y)

_bxt

Badlands
First Name
BA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang/F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well this video with Shelby Hall was made during the Tennessee SC. Starting @ 22:00 she starts talking about having problems and states about how it doesn't matter what mode you are in and how you can just manually do things.

And shortly after, she uses the front locker and then the SBD and things go haywire. Although not widely talked about, the info has been out there. Just have not heard much about it until now since customers have started to use their Broncos. I would have thought Ford would have looked into it but maybe not. Maybe they relied on the pre-production thing and just thought it was "no big deal".

I am experienced off road, I have driven the Bronco off road, I am hear to tell you that the Bronco is an absolute BEAST.

Ok Mr Texas mechanic. You can diagnose all you want... I can doubt you all are half as competent as you think you are. That's my contribution. Your contribution misses the point that THIS Bronco, and Broncos driven by professionals at sanctioned events, have needed to be "reset" after light off-road use. It's doubtful that this is an isolated issue. Ford needs to step it up.

_bxt

Badlands
First Name
BA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang/F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's just wait for the end diagnostic results. he has said he will post 'em as soon as he can.
Bro, you haven't heard??? The JD Texas sensor expert historian guy has already spoken. This is NOT new OR Bronco specific...case closed!
Sponsored