Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wtf. Pretty sure I just watched you try to go 4H in drive earlier in the vid and it wouldn't go.... But later, it did 🤷
Yeah, I think you have to be perfectly aligned and it will no problem, like you mentioned when it didn't could probably creep a bit to get it aligned and do the thing, or shift to Neutral and call it good.
Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be super interested to see what the wheel speed sensor reading was. Was it truly a bad sensor reading, some crazy number (basically a sensor hiccup) or was is a reading correct reading, just not what the system thought it should be doing. My guess is that it was just a bad reading.

Either way disabling AdvanceTrac (GOAT modes) is a safety thing. If you're getting bad sensor readings you don't want the system controlling wheel speeds....

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be super interested to see what the wheel speed sensor reading was. Was it truly a bad sensor reading, some crazy number (basically a sensor hiccup) or was is a reading correct reading, just not what the system thought it should be doing. My guess is that it was just a bad reading.

Either way disabling AdvanceTrac (GOAT modes) is a safety thing. If you're getting bad sensor readings you don't want the system controlling wheel speeds....
It looked like as soon as he was rolling enough and the truck saw normal wheel rotation at all 4 corners, it kinda straightened itself out...?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would just like to take a minute and apologize to anyone offended by my lack off control in post #273. I took the post in the wrong way and with all the currents events, Bronco and others, I overreacted to what the poster's reason was for quoting me.

Rock On !!! 🤘 🤘

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You shouldn't need to be in Neutral to go 2H to 4H...
If you crept forward in drive, I'm sure it would engage. For that matter, with auto 4X4 option you can switch on the fly.
Neutral is required to go to 4 low however. And the car will tell you to switch to neutral
The manual transfer case on the JL will let you shift from 2H to 4H up to 50mph (you can be going faster, but it's not recommended) - but it is much smother if you lift off the gas a bit as you shift. The gears just mesh easier. I always assumed an electronic TC would do all that automatically.
4L is the same: tranny in N, shift TC to N then 4L. Helps to be creeping at 1-2 mph to ease the gears meshing. Don't know if any of that would be relevant to an ETC...

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@evilletruck Your last video got me thinking.... If you have it in a typical driving goat mode like Normal/Eco and then press 4H and/or lockers...what does it do? Does it switch GOAT automatically to something else?

Here's where my head is at. I'm thinking of being in eco mode much of the time to conserve gas. If I reach down and tap 4H and enable the locker...when I'm done and toggles those back off...will the Bronco still be in Eco mode? Would I have been off roading in a Fuel Conservative mode?

We know GOAT changes alot of other things besides 4H and lockers...so I'm thinking that it would leave all things still mapped to the original GOAT mode regardless of what you do with the buttons.

That's means that when you can't, or choose not to, switch GOATS, then you are not able to get the additional off road settings to take advantage.

Oh side note..if you were in Mud mode, your rear locker should have been engaged and therefore you should not have been able to spin your rear driver tire in the first place... Makes me wonder if something happened with the rear locker and when the bronco sensed that one wheel was spinning and it should not have.. that's why it wigged out?

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@evilletruck Your last video got me thinking.... If you have it in a typical driving goat mode like Normal/Eco and then press 4H and/or lockers...what does it do? Does it switch GOAT automatically to something else?

Here's where my head is at. I'm thinking of being in eco mode much of the time to conserve gas. If I reach down and tap 4H and enable the locker...when I'm done and toggles those back off...will the Bronco still be in Eco mode? Would I have been off roading in a Fuel Conservative mode?

We know GOAT changes alot of other things besides 4H and lockers...so I'm thinking that it would leave all things still mapped to the original GOAT mode regardless of what you do with the buttons.

That's means that when you can't, or choose not to, switch GOATS, then you are not able to get the additional off road settings to take advantage.

Oh side note..if you were in Mud mode, your rear locker should have been engaged and therefore you should not have been able to spin your rear driver tire in the first place... Makes me wonder if something happened with the rear locker and when the bronco sensed that one wheel was spinning and it should not have.. that's why it wigged out?

If you are driving in normal mode you can activate 4H 4L, or lock the locker independently of the goat modes, which is good, when goat mode kicked me out of Mud mode it switched back to normal and I was able to still put it into 4L lock the locker and get out of there.

I imagine the same would happen if in eco mode ( or any of them), when you select the mode it switches those items to the preconfigured Goat setting but they also operate independently, so yes probably can drive in 4low eco mode with locker, probably not going to be the optimal experience.. but possible.

Thats a very plausible explanation and would make sense, though would be worrisome about what happened with the locker to allow just the one wheel to spin 🤷‍♂️

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thats a very plausible explanation and would make sense, though would be worrisome about what happened with the locker to allow just the one wheel to spin 🤷‍♂️

Well keep us in the loop as to what the dealer finds out.... I'm on the edge of my seat!

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bill, @evilletruck , Thanks for the videos. question for you as I don't recall from videos.... when you were in Mud/Ruts mode - that has the rear locker engaged correct?
Then you had wheel spin on one wheel on the trail after you engaged the goat mode?
I'm curious of the following situation: if you are in a mode that required a locker and said locker wasn't fully engaged and you had wheel spin on one wheel when you should have wheel spin on both (due to locker) that could cause one sensor to freak out as there should be two sensors reading wheel spin, yes?? Thus throwing a code and causing the goat mode to freak out then "reset so to speak.

Curious about what the dealer techs say. Thanks, Cheers.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All those warnings that popped up (service advance Trac, blah blah blah) came up in my 2015 F150 3-4 years ago in a sleet/rain storm when the roads were nasty. No codes were found and it never happened again (I pulled over, shut down, started up and everything was back to normal).

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off Roading My 2021 Bronco Nearly Broke It

Hope I inserted the link properly.....

Want to start by saying that in no way am I calling out the guy who made and posted this video, as I give him all the credit in the world for taking his new Bronco out on a trail. He may even be a member of this forum, so I extend my respect.

However, there are some lessons in the video that likely weren't meant to be, but are for those who pay attention and learn.

If you watch the video, the guy takes on a trail that looks innocent enough on video, but actually has quite a few large rocks and ruts that become obstacles. He is also in a Black Diamond with what I assume are 30" tires on the cool looking steelies.

Where things start to go south are in a few areas where I recommend for the newer wheelers to not overlook.

First, he seems to have gone wheeling alone. Maybe he asked some others to come and they passed, or maybe he just wanted to get some dirt under his new Bronco (can't blame him!). The lack of a spotter causes some issues throughout his journey.

Next, he admits midway that he's planning on bigger tires for extra clearance (He's correct) Does this mean he needs 35s? Not exactly, but the 33s in MT would have helped.

Then, he takes on this trail with far too much speed. So much so, that he often is can be heard banging his pumpkin (diff) on rocks which is always a no no. So much so, that one of the first mods I will do with my Badlands Sasquatch is buy armor for the pumpkin. Yes, it is protected, but not well enough from the factory. May even go with one that's painted, for a pop of colors and such! :)

Finally, when he does encounter trouble with the GOAT modes not working and not sure why, he's still on the trail and seems to have been driving in a mix of 4H, 2H, and at times 4L. With this trail, 4L with the locker engaged should likely have been default. Sure this would have been slow, but he doesn't have the clearance, no spotter, no partner, no front locker, no winch or recovery boards, no recovery gear at all from what I can see when he showed the back, and not sure there is any off roading gear at all. Not even sure he has a cell signal.

In the end, he does seem to get off the trail after allowing the Bronco to "rest", but this could have gone in a totally different direction.

My personal opinion is that he banged that pumpkin and some other bits too hard and threw some systems off that triggered limp mode. Maybe it was just some new car gremlins, but regardless, this is why you bring gear, a buddy, a way to communicate with no cell signal (Garmin InReach)

I also strongly believe in having good clearance for those "just in case" situations where obstacles are larger or more frequent than expected. Also, when you do not have proper clearance or suspension, using horsepower to free yourself from an obstacle is potential harm to your vehicle.

Gear, comms, armor, buddy, proper spec. Sure, you'll spend more money, but you'll also be less likely to experience a scary and potentially costly situation on a trail.

Hope this thread and video helps.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Off Roading My 2021 Bronco Nearly Broke It

Hope I inserted the link properly.....

Want to start by saying that in no way am I calling out the guy who made and posted this video, as I give him all the credit in the world for taking his new Bronco out on a trail. He may even be a member of this forum, so I extend my respect.

However, there are some lessons in the video that likely weren't meant to be, but are for those who pay attention and learn.

If you watch the video, the guy takes on a trail that looks innocent enough on video, but actually has quite a few large rocks and ruts that become obstacles. He is also in a Black Diamond with what I assume are 30" tires on the cool looking steelies.

Where things start to go south are in a few areas where I recommend for the newer wheelers to not overlook.

First, he seems to have gone wheeling alone. Maybe he asked some others to come and they passed, or maybe he just wanted to get some dirt under his new Bronco (can't blame him!). The lack of a spotter causes some issues throughout his journey.

Next, he admits midway that he's planning on bigger tires for extra clearance (He's correct) Does this mean he needs 35s? Not exactly, but the 33s in MT would have helped.

Then, he takes on this trail with far too much speed. So much so, that he often is can be heard banging his pumpkin (diff) on rocks which is always a no no. So much so, that one of the first mods I will do with my Badlands Sasquatch is buy armor for the pumpkin. Yes, it is protected, but not well enough from the factory. May even go with one that's painted, for a pop of colors and such! :)

Finally, when he does encounter trouble with the GOAT modes not working and not sure why, he's still on the trail and seems to have been driving in a mix of 4H, 2H, and at times 4L. With this trail, 4L with the locker engaged should likely have been default. Sure this would have been slow, but he doesn't have the clearance, no spotter, no partner, no front locker, no winch or recovery boards, no recovery gear at all from what I can see when he showed the back, and not sure there is any off roading gear at all. Not even sure he has a cell signal.

In the end, he does seem to get off the trail after allowing the Bronco to "rest", but this could have gone in a totally different direction.

My personal opinion is that he banged that pumpkin and some other bits too hard and threw some systems off that triggered limp mode. Maybe it was just some new car gremlins, but regardless, this is why you bring gear, a buddy, a way to communicate with no cell signal (Garmin InReach)

I also strongly believe in having good clearance for those "just in case" situations where obstacles are larger or more frequent than expected. Also, when you do not have proper clearance or suspension, using horsepower to free yourself from an obstacle is potential harm to your vehicle.

Gear, comms, armor, buddy, proper spec. Sure, you'll spend more money, but you'll also be less likely to experience a scary and potentially costly situation on a trail.

Hope this thread and video helps.
No offense man, and of course preparation and not pushing a vehicle or driver beyond their capabilities is always a smart idea......but the baddest most tech advanced bronco ever developed should walk up that trail without blinking. Sure filming can be a little deceiving at times but let's not act like he was soloing the Rubicon trail.

This was a moderate at best gravel trail a few minutes from civilization that any 4x4 vehicle should handle.

If that trail was too much for the broncos "cutting edge" tech then we should all just go buy wranglers. The good news is it appears to just be a computer glitch, and this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem as of yet and he was still able to use his lockers and get home.

Your post reminds me of all the jeep guys that drive around with a brand new slowly rusting out hi-lift jack; rotopax filled with who knows how old gas if filled at all; never used track boards and a shiny winch that they may or may not have the controller for; as if they will have to cut across the countryside at a moments notice to get to the mall. You match preparedness to risk and the risk on that trail for a bronco should be basically zero.

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No offense man, and of course preparation and not pushing a vehicle or driver beyond their capabilities is always a smart idea......but the baddest most tech advanced bronco ever developed should walk up that trail without blinking. Sure filming can be a little deceiving at times but let's not act like he was soloing the Rubicon trail.

This was a moderate at best gravel trail a few minutes from civilization that any 4x4 vehicle should handle.

If that trail was too much for the broncos "cutting edge" tech then we should all just go buy wranglers. The good news is it appears to just be a computer glitch, and this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem as of yet and he was still able to use his lockers and get home.

Your post reminds me of all the jeep guys that drive around with a brand new slowly rusting out hi-lift jack; rotopax filled with who knows how old gas if filled at all; never used track boards and a shiny winch that they may or may not have the controller for; as if they will have to cut across the countryside at a moments notice to get to the mall. You match preparedness to risk and the risk on that trail for a bronco should be basically zero.
No offense you say? Full of some weird stereotypes all through your post, particularly at the end. I've never owned a HiLift.

I have a 99' Disco on SFA/SRA on 35s with a fully modded suspension that I've wheeled across the Southeast for over 15 years. Beyond that, grew up wheeling LR and RRs that belonged to Dad; one being a Defender.

I'm Southern, Alabama Southern, so dirt is just what we do along with whipping everyone in college football.

There's no mall crawl here, but you can think whatever you wish. Who are you again?

This forum is full of guys who'll be doing this for the first time, some feel comfortable asking questions, but many don't. Even still, I don't want anyone to go out unprepared that kills what should be a fun and good time; particularly not because of pride and ego. So yeah, when you're new, cautious and informed, even overly so is a safe philosophy.

Further, a non-lifted Bronco without the proper tires is just as worthless as a stripped Wrangler on a trail, which is why real wheelers who own Wranglers don't take strippers down a trail! So, a stripped Bronco is just what it is, a street car, not an off roader.

Badlands ain't a cosmo pack and neither is a Rubicon. So, for those who want to wheel, best to buy it from Ford unless immediately planning to DIY before hitting the dirt.

So, if you wheel, the post wasn't for you, so move on since you just Ran KOH and came in 7th in your trophy truck, right? :rolleyes:
Sponsored