First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Broncorik great post, I could not agree more. My 4 door Badlands had barely even hit the rock sliders, especially now with a 3” body lift. But the rest of the factory skids have taken a beating. I have done most of the trails in Moab, and the Rubicon twice. All the Skid plates are key to getting through.
Even the Badlands with pretty decent coverage of the gas tank, engine, and t-case (and the reinforcements over the trailing arm mount points) was lacking coverage on the tranny, the a-arms, the rear diff, the cross members, and the rear shock mounts...so folks that have builds without Badlands OEM armor definitely should consider suiting up. If I had a build that came withno armor, I'd go the ASFIR or JCR route and get an entire kit. As is, I had to piece the rest of my protection together, which can mean waiting weeks/months with current build times...so those of you without Broncos yet, factor in that armor!

For the rear shock skids, note that the factory torque on the nuts is 350 foot pounds...and Ford recommends a NEW bolt and nut (they are both listed as one time use). The theory is that they are OTU not because of being torque to yield but because Ford supplies them with some magic thread sealant. I am perplexed by this, because at 350 foot pounds those nuts should not come loose...even with zero thread sealant. Additionally, if they did come loose, they will more than likely not just fall out with the weight of the vehicle on them. Apparently Ford just wants us to pay 100 dollars for the bolts and whatever the nuts cost if we need to remove them for any reason. I went with the JCR skids https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SD-SH.html
They needed the nut to be removed but not the bolt (the bolt just needed to be backed out slightly to get the plate over the threaded end). The skid protects the shock mount and the reservoir. For my tranny, I went with the ASFIR because it fits with the Badlands plates...and I added the extra t-case bracket (Ford apparently forgot to put one in that critical area...making the OEM t-case skid vulnerable to folding like a pretzel). https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/...ufacturer=7977&car_model=12598&car_year=12599

ASFIR gives Bronco owners loads of options to fit bits and pieces with whatever OEM option you have.
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't seen a base model in stock form, is the front plate shown in the photos plastic? I'm assuming without adding modular bumper with the steel bash plates that only BD & BL come with any steel bash plates?

The others are plastic, am I correct?

Thanks.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't seen a base model in stock form, is the front plate shown in the photos plastic? I'm assuming without adding modular bumper with the steel bash plates that only BD & BL come with any steel bash plates?

The others are plastic, am I correct?

Thanks.
My BB with plastic bumper has plastic front and under the engine. It has no transfer case plate but being a two door has a nice steel fuel tank plate. I added the Ford engine and transfercase steel plates for $200., easy install. I fabricated my own transfercase reinforcement like the ASFIR one. I'm OK with the plastic up front, nothing important up there with the 2.3 anyway and if I hit there I'm definitely not clearing at the engine plate.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands/Sasquatch and I live in Southern California...and much of my wheeling is pretty rocky. Although the Badlands has ok skid plates from the factory, I bought JCR lower control arm plates, JCR rear shock plates, an ASFIR transmission plate, and a Foutz differential skid.

After some fairly technical wheeling on some rocky trails (Tip Top in Big Bear, Rubicon Trail/Buck Lake Trail in Tahoe, Broken Arrow in Sedona) I found it interesting that even though so many folks are all about the search for the perfect frame mounted rocker sliders that my stock rockers sliders have zero rock rash...but even with careful lines my rear shock sliders/cross members/a-arm plates/rear lower trailing arm mounts/diff slider/front bash plates/tranny plate have all been "touched." I am stoked that I have rocker sliders, but even more stoked to have almost all of my "low hanging fruit" covered. I like the JCR belly slider that cover the cross member, but it also covers the cats and I don't want that much heat build-up...so I ordered that ASFIR cross member protectors. This is an example of some of the terrain responsible for my current battle scars. Nothing too crazy, but without the protective bits it would not have been pretty.

In short, if you are in a budget, covering the lowest points first will be the most beneficial (unless you do a lot of ledges/high center risk stuff and somehow clear your lower bits in a regular basis).

20220622_135819.jpg
20220622_134840.jpg

[/
Beautiful picture, where is this? Thanks

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And on this trail I didn't need skids at all...but did need lockers now and again. I was solo rig and didn't want to push it (being out of cell tower range and no one to pull me back into civilization if a tie rod broke) so I stayed on the level 4 section (but it was still a blast).
20220626_124500.jpg
20220626_124613.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And on this trail I didn't need skids at all...but did need lockers now and again. I was solo rig and didn't want to push it (being out of cell tower range and no one to pull me back into civilization if a tie rod broke) so I stayed on the level 4 section (but it was still a blast).
20220626_124500.jpg
20220626_124613.jpg
Here is just a snippet of the trail on an easy section: awesome scenery and peaceful with no crowds.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On this stretch the skids did get a workout

[

Terrynsd

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On this stretch the skids did get a workout

[
SoCal guy here also, I went with the full set of Asfir skids. They did well at Big Bear a couple weeks ago.
Also, what trail is this? It’s looks awesome!

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What camera were you using? The image stabilization is amazing...
I know, right? That particular stabilization feature is courtesy of my wife using her Android while balancing on loose rocks while also trying to spot for me and not dropping the phone...sorry about that...I just wanted to give folks an idea of the cool trail.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SoCal guy here also, I went with the full set of Asfir skids. They did well at Big Bear a couple weeks ago.
Also, what trail is this? It’s looks awesome!
[/QUOTE

Make sure you get the crossmember skids too...ASFIR indicated they are about 4-5 weeks out. That section of trail is Buck Lake just before it connects to Ellis (take the Rubicon Trail from the 89 and shortly thereafter you can pick it up).

Hedrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr EG Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Even the Badlands with pretty decent coverage of the gas tank, engine, and t-case (and the reinforcements over the trailing arm mount points) was lacking coverage on the tranny, the a-arms, the rear diff, the cross members, and the rear shock mounts...so folks that have builds without Badlands OEM armor definitely should consider suiting up. If I had a build that came withno armor, I'd go the ASFIR or JCR route and get an entire kit. As is, I had to piece the rest of my protection together, which can mean waiting weeks/months with current build times...so those of you without Broncos yet, factor in that armor!

For the rear shock skids, note that the factory torque on the nuts is 350 foot pounds...and Ford recommends a NEW bolt and nut (they are both listed as one time use). The theory is that they are OTU not because of being torque to yield but because Ford supplies them with some magic thread sealant. I am perplexed by this, because at 350 foot pounds those nuts should not come loose...even with zero thread sealant. Additionally, if they did come loose, they will more than likely not just fall out with the weight of the vehicle on them. Apparently Ford just wants us to pay 100 dollars for the bolts and whatever the nuts cost if we need to remove them for any reason. I went with the JCR skids https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SD-SH.html
They needed the nut to be removed but not the bolt (the bolt just needed to be backed out slightly to get the plate over the threaded end). The skid protects the shock mount and the reservoir. For my tranny, I went with the ASFIR because it fits with the Badlands plates...and I added the extra t-case bracket (Ford apparently forgot to put one in that critical area...making the OEM t-case skid vulnerable to folding like a pretzel). https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/...ufacturer=7977&car_model=12598&car_year=12599

ASFIR gives Bronco owners loads of options to fit bits and pieces with whatever OEM option you have.

I think BD and BL share skid plate setups - that ASFIR transmission skid fit with the factory tcase and front skids for you?

First thing I noticed when I picked up my BD this weekend was the giant hole under the transmission…

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think BD and BL share skid plate setups - that ASFIR transmission skid fit with the factory tcase and front skids for you?

First thing I noticed when I picked up my BD this weekend was the giant hole under the transmission…
Yup the ASFIR tranny plate fit like a glove with OEM engine and t-case plates. I highly recommend the ASFIR t-case extra bracket for the OEM skid while you are down there...

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it this one? https://www.asfir.com/gear-box-skid-plate-599661c.html ?