First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Mini-Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been going back and forth lately on soft top vs. hard top, and I’m seeing more and more reasons why the soft top works for my use case. The only thing still in my mind is security. I know that soft tops really aren’t theft-proof at all, and it would have to be a lifestyle change to ensure I wasn’t keeping any valuables inside the vehicle that weren’t locked in the glovebox or center console.

Whether I get hard or soft top, I’m thinking that I will add this cargo area enclosure in case I have stuff I want to secure better. However, I’m thinking this through, it seems like a pointless things to get…if the tailgate is unlocked by any of the lock/unlock buttons on the vehicle, wouldn’t one of the door mounted lock/unlocks give you access to the storage area then? So if I was running doors on and top/windows down, someone could walk up, hit the door unlock button, and have access to the tailgate? Theoretically then, I would have to run doors off to prevent access to the rear tailgate and rear storage area?

Feel free to chime in if there’s a flaw in my thinking or you guys are coming up with better security solutions for your gear. I love the idea of the attached cargo enclosure, but I don’t think it would do the job I’d like it to do. I may have to start thinking about fully enclosed boxes mounted in the trunk if I want something more secure.

332CA804-9C03-4CA1-B5E0-2742800D33B9.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoDoorsNoProblem

NoDoorsNoProblem

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just get the Security drawer

Ford Bronco Discussion on soft top security/Cargo area enclosure 1620587496826
It’s a backup plan, but my thought is about securing backpacks, duffel bags, things if that size and nature. The security drawer wouldn’t work for that.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm definitely going with the security lid. Out of site out of mind. A thief usually won't break in if they don't see anything. But I'm also going hardtop so security isn't as big of a issue than soft top.

Last edited:

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s a backup plan, but my thought is about securing backpacks, duffel bags, things if that size and nature. The security drawer wouldn’t work for that.
Aftermarket will def come up with something taller to fit other gear

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lots of lockable utility boxes that you can lock to a tie-down.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think you may be correct, providing the door locks/unlock work without the key fob nearby.

Add to it that the soft top windows are just velcro and a plastic clip.

The Bronco was supposed to come with an alarm, not that it will do much.

OP
OP
NoDoorsNoProblem

NoDoorsNoProblem

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you may be correct, providing the door locks/unlock work without the key fob nearby.

Add to it that the soft top windows are just velcro and a plastic clip.

The Bronco was supposed to come with an alarm, not that it will do much.
That’s my fear, is that having a soft top or the top down will make having the cargo enclosure obsolete if you can just reach in and unlock from the door. Ironically, going doors off it seems would be the most secure.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s my fear, is that having a soft top or the top down will make having the cargo enclosure obsolete if you can just reach in and unlock from the door. Ironically, going doors off it seems would be the most secure.
On the Jeep the internal unlock buttons are disabled after a short period of time, allowing you to effectively secure something in the trunk with this type of enclosure (or under floor storage in the case of the Jeep).

I have not heard one way or another with the Bronco, but considering they are advertising it as a way to secure items when the vehicle is locked, I’m hoping it’s the same.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

doesn't matter what top you have, if you have something in there that looks good to a thief they will get it. Just look at youtube videos, hard top, windows, locks, soft top, makes no difference. They use emergency window poppers you can get at any hardware store, takes less than a second is makes no noise anyone would pay attention to. (nobody pays attention to alarms either).
The "lockable" console and glove box are a joke, any screwdriver can break those in seconds too.
So get the top you want, keep nothing of value in there.

The rear cargo boxes are interesting, I would think the door lock buttons do not work if the key is not close by, but don't know. But I'll be looking into one of those larger boxes too, something relatively safe when locked, for when I have all my camera gear in the truck and might want to go eat something or take a hike w/o bringing it all with me. There will be plenty options, I'm looking for something that's easy to remove/install as I usually won't need it and will have the dog in the back. But he's not coming along for photo trips, camera straps, tripod, backpack is enough, don't need to fiddle with a leash too, LOL. He's also too hyper to just sit somewhere while I wait for the perfect moment to snap a photo.

I live in a pretty safe and affluent area (more and more so with all the rich techies from SF flooding out here) but you still can't leave stuff in your car, the thieves come from further away.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What you’re describing applies to every vehicle on the road. If someone is brazen and smart enough (those two don’t often coinside), then they can take anything they want. If you MUST have a secure area, I‘d go for the under floor cargo vault one they offer (next to the jack). It’s very small, but 99.9% of thieves would never look there.

Ford Bronco Discussion on soft top security/Cargo area enclosure D9B86DB0-E248-40C9-894D-6A04655632C6
Ford Bronco Discussion on soft top security/Cargo area enclosure DAB452DD-C7A2-407B-B4C0-6F132B8DCD0D

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
soft top/hard top difference is minimal when it comes to theft. a real lock box is probably harder to defeat unless they're more of a pro criminal. most scumbags can put their elbow or a brick through a window and be in and out in a matter of seconds if they want what you've got in there. best bet would be real security container, nothing visible, and/or nothing left in vehicle

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The main thing you need to do in a soft, or hard top is to keep the good stuff out of sight. A crook will get in either if he wants. I've driven convertibles for years, and knock wood haven't have any problem. I never leave nothing in sight that someone else might want. So, if you want a soft top I say get it, and don't worry. We've got to wait forever to our Bronco's, so we should get it the way we want it.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The first question to resolve is whether the doors unlock without the fob in proximity. If they do not, the set up you are looking at is fairly secure. Nothing in sight and no normal access into the stowage area that is covered and locked. While anything can be defeated given time, expertise and tools, the more difficult you make it decreases the probability that your vehicle will be targeted. These thieves value speed and ease, not redundant physical controls; the harder you make it, the more you level the field and they can find plenty of other more suitable targets. I would also include the alarm. Whether they are effective depends on various factors such as location and time of day. Stack the odds in your favor. And if the loss or theft of any particular item is prohibitive, do not leave it unattended.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

also I have hardly anything in the glove box and center console is full of old free CDs from magazines, and a couple quarters. Registration and all that is hidden elsewhere, together with the manual and some other things. If I park in what looks like sketchy areas I just leave glove box and console open for all to see that there's nothing useful in there. Seems to work, no problems ever, including with our Miata we had way back when.
I figure if my ride looks less interesting/promising than the next one, they'll leave mine alone 🙃
Sponsored