Sponsored

Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays?

donspillman

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I was without all the deadly sins until they added the towing package for possible delay. Should I ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? I don't want to overthink, but this seems like and no brainier. I ordered and put one on a Toyota Tundra myself before, so that would not be a big deal. Thanks for your help.

Black Diamond
4 Door (5?)
Area 51
2.3 Manuel
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Towing package content?

I don't know man... There's a chance that forgoing the Tow Package from the factory, you're going to miss out on plug-and-play brake controller install and what-not.

There are a *ton* of people on the forum who are going to hold out and add one later.

I'm keeping it on my factory build.

I think either answer is "correct" depending on what your values and needs are.

The link at the top of my post will bring you to one of the discussions.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can someone explain what would customarily come with a towing package? I’ve never had one. Never needed it. But I wonder about future proofing this ride - what would I need to add and what would it cost if five years later I want to drag a small teardrop trailer around with me?

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Towing package content?

I don't know man... There's a chance that forgoing the Tow Package from the factory, you're going to miss out on plug-and-play brake controller install and what-not.

There are a *ton* of people on the forum who are going to hold out and add one later.

I'm keeping it on my factory build.

I think either answer is "correct" depending on what your values and needs are.

The link at the top of my post will bring you to one of the discussions.
Per the ordering site the controller is not included. Drop the towing package, east to find a shop to install later or do it yourself.

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? 9FC7F113-6E05-4813-9AEA-3B7517188774

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can someone explain what would customarily come with a towing package? I’ve never had one. Never needed it. But I wonder about future proofing this ride - what would I need to add and what would it cost if five years later I want to drag a small teardrop trailer around with me?

Depends on the make/model.

On the Bronco the Tow Package includes:

-Class II Receiver (2")
-Wiring Harness with 4 and 7 pin connector

Some people feel this is a criminally small amount of items for a $600 option. Other vehicles might also come with a Brake Controller, stiffer springs, or additional Transmission cooling.

There is a Ford Brake Controller listed in the accessory catalog, and the P/N is the standard Ford unit. When you read the description it states that it "requires factory tow package"... which could either mean, you need the tow package to tow, or the factory tow package wiring harness also includes connectors for the brake controller that you normally wouldn't have.

On the Bronco all trims, including Base (which actually can't be spec'd with the tow package) include "Trailer Sway Control" which is an additional stability control capability baked in.

Many people will point out that if the Bronco package is just the Receiver and wiring connector, the same can be had and installed for a fraction of the price.

I'm choosing to just spend the inflated price for the factory option just to make sure there isn't something I'm missing, or any problems if I later try to maximize the Bronco's towing capability (through a brake controller).

That said, there may be an opportunity to upgrade the receiver itself to something that ties into the frame rails, but I'd rather spend another $200 on that later, than find out I should have had the factory install the harness to begin with.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per the ordering site the controller is not included. Drop the towing package, east to find a shop to install later or do it yourself.
And how long will that take to obtain aftermarket? Day 1 or a 3-4 months waiting period?

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven't dug into the details of each but $600 isn't horrible. Defender is $1800, Volvo is about the same, etc. Not worth brain damage to save a few hundred bucks and not have done at factory at least for me.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

9FC7F113-6E05-4813-9AEA-3B7517188774.png
I expanded on my comment a little later on.

Correct, the Tow Package does not include the Brake Controller, but the Brake Controller listed in the accessory catalog states it requires the "factory tow package."

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.18.50

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.24.24

Looking at the install procedure for the Brake controller if you *don't* have the factory 7-pin connector is a bear. It's doable, and within my skillset... but quite frankly, I'd rather trade the extra cost for the factory tow package now, than the 4-6 hours of work later on if I ever want to add these items.

Sponsored

Hall36

Base
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am getting it because my luck it will take 3-6 months for aftermarket and I will need to tow my trailer the week I take delivery. So yes definitely over priced but will be worth for me to be able to tow day one of delivery.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am getting it because my luck it will take 3-6 months for aftermarket and I will need to tow my trailer the week I take delivery. So yes definitely over priced but will be worth for me to be able to tow day one of delivery.
Same here. With the uncertainty of waiting for aftermarket, I opted for the factory. I'd be pissed if we received our bronco in the fall and can't use it to tow our small camping trailer and wheel the Bronco.

OP
OP
donspillman

donspillman

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks guys, you helped a lot. I'm keeping my F-150 for towing my boat and other heavy lifting, so I went ahead and had the towing package taken off of my order. I'll add it later, I'm sure.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am banking on the hope that they don’t run out before they build day 1 reservations. Even if they do, I waited this long and might as well stick it out for everything I want on the build.
Sponsored