Sponsored

Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays?

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford needs to delay all tow package to MY22, but make wiring standard for all builds. Do it like the hardtop fiasco. Simplifies build, and removes constraint. Win win!

(half serious...)

Peter
Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the camp of not having the factory tow package because it's just not worth $600. Also, the Bronco tow rating is only 3,500 lbs.... Most States only require trailer brakes above 3,000 lbs, so it's barely in the realm of needing a brake controller.

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the confidence of a factory unit for this type of thing

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There will be after market options if you want to do a basket without a receiver hitch...these are for jeeps, but Iā€™m sure someone will come up with one for Broncos

0FCCEB50-D9AC-47EB-8576-739C8C8687E8.png

2774F88A-E197-4383-8093-E84B9BEE3A02.png
How the hell am I supposed to get the deer up there? Oh, with the Bobcat on the trailer....

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All the discussions around adding a brake controller are based on people looking to "adjust" that 3500lb rating.

(through different hitches, upgraded springs... etc etc etc... )
Donā€™t tell the insu
I'm under the impression that the bolt on hitch is being installed before the bumper (and a lot of other things). Hence the possible the need to cut or remove the bumper to install an aftermarket option.
It appears if the nut plates are on the rear side vs front the bolts can be assembled without removing the bumper.

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? D049DC23-08A6-44C8-88AF-4023A56312A9

OP
OP
donspillman

donspillman

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealer said that they have not been told the towing package will be late availability, and that most of his orders contain that option. So, I decided to keep it.....for now....

OP
OP
donspillman

donspillman

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Trailer tow was on the list of commodities I was given. Now how big of a commodity depends on how many want it. Based on my orders, I think the mass majority 75% or more, but that might just be regional and if so national rate could be lower where its a commodity, but not a major one.

What I mean is:

Say Ford can build 50% of Broncos with a widget, so the commodity rate is 50%. If demand is 50.5%, its an issue that will slow up some so it is a commodity, but only will affect 1 out of 100 orders. Now lets say demand is 70%, now its 20 out of 100, so its much more of an issue. Then remember that the next week, those 20 allocations take the first 20 widgets leaving only 30 for the next batch so the wait/line keeps growing.

So back to trailer tow, if you think its 1/2 or less of the orders, probably won't be a huge deal, if you think its 75% or more, might be a big problem. However, this also assumes the commodity list I saw was correct, and that it won't change. Trailer tow is one I can see easily increased if demand warrants unlike other options like 2.7L, Sasquatch, etc. Clear as mud?

Also remember once scheduling starts, dealer will have a long (2-3 week) preview period where you can change the orders if its not going, so if Tow is a problem keeping your order from scheduling, dealer can notify you and see if you want to drop tow to get a VIN.
Thank you! That clears it up for me. You are super helpful for this forum.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$48,000?!?! for a popup?

Anybody want to start a pop-up camper business with me?
It's a bit more than just a pop up camper lol. And you'd be surprised how the cost add up when you start adding everything up. I looked at a lot of campers and the fit, finish, quality and creative use of space made the decision for me.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think I have found were some of the cost of the Trailer Towing packages comes from. Looks like Ford is using variable voltage tail lights, which means one bulb for brake and parking. There is added wiring and a Trailer Towing Module that is added. Don't know how much is there if you do not order the towing package.
Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? 2
Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? 1

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, I thought had read on this forum that it had been added as possible delayed or high demand availability. (I'm pretty sure I did, I remember everyone fussing about how hard it could be to add the towing package.) However, I can't find it here anymore. I'm I just making this up? Can a Dealership person on here or anyone else confirm this? Thanks.
Iā€™d be more worried about chip availability than towing package.

G Watkins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone explain what would customarily come with a towing package? Iā€™ve never had one. Never needed it. But I wonder about future proofing this ride - what would I need to add and what would it cost if five years later I want to drag a small teardrop trailer around with me?
I think you can add a tow hitch and brake controller for less than $500. You can get just a tow hitch from Uhaul for around $250.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm under the impression that the bolt on hitch is being installed before the bumper (and a lot of other things). Hence the possible the need to cut or remove the bumper to install an aftermarket option.
Looking at the bare chassis in Moab you are correct. The bolts come in from the bumper side. Meaning at least the plastic bumper facia would have to be removed to install bolts. The after market ones for jeeps (which are very similar if not identical to what the Bronco would need) the bolts enter from the chassis side. On the Bronco this might require loosening the muffler to get access.

bronco49

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Lincoln Continental
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can someone explain what would customarily come with a towing package? Iā€™ve never had one. Never needed it. But I wonder about future proofing this ride - what would I need to add and what would it cost if five years later I want to drag a small teardrop trailer around with me?
I was told besides the hitch and the wiring there is a computer adjustment to the engine and a bigger radiator. Can anyone confirm this?
Sponsored