Sponsored

[DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required.

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like cheap DIY mods that are useful. Nice work. I would think that over time it would start to warp and sag in the middle a little bit from weight on top. Could maybe benefit adding a strip of steel or aluminum angle to the rear edge. If they were on top it could also help keep smaller items from sliding off the shelf since there is a gap between the end of the shelf and the swing gate.
Great idea and a simple add on.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Exactly, all I did was paint.

Here is a pic of just the board I bought with absolutely nothing done to the board .

@mbagne
@cpmartin1999

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. MVIMG_20211221_164809
this is just a "why didnt i think of this" moment for me. Glad you shared this. I will be copying your homework on this assignment lol

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll have to look at the cargo area of my 2-door. I got a little excited when I saw this but just remembered my cargo area is probably different. Concept should still work, but the shelf might not be big enough to make it worth adding

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another option available ~20 bucks for raw materials
Am I reading correctly that board will hold 2100lbs? I was trying to think of how to reinforce the plywood to prevent sagging, but this sounds pretty robust. Is it the artificial decking material that's becoming so popular?

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly, all I did was paint.

Here is a pic of just the board I bought with absolutely nothing done to the board .

@mbagne
@cpmartin1999

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. MVIMG_20211221_164809
I really think you came up with something great here . . . so simple, easy to use, and inexpensive, but a HUGE assist when venturing out with extra gear or when you simply need more space to pack things. The only real concern is making sure that items stored can be properly secured like any other payload to keep it from launching around the cabin if there is an accident or even a need for a sudden stop, etc. The other comments in this thread about anchors are well taken. Thanks for sharing this with your photos!

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I reading correctly that board will hold 2100lbs? I was trying to think of how to reinforce the plywood to prevent sagging, but this sounds pretty robust. Is it the artificial decking material that's becoming so popular?
I was thinking about something like this, a metal edge/angle piece that can be attached along the front and rear edges of the board. It can be cut to the proper length and drilled with holes for using simple wood screws.

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. Angle

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'll have to look at the cargo area of my 2-door. I got a little excited when I saw this but just remembered my cargo area is probably different. Concept should still work, but the shelf might not be big enough to make it worth adding
Please post a pic or let us know your findings.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well... Not much benefit for a 2door.
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. 20211223_120744
Yeah that's a bummer but maybe some 2x4s could be a quick and easy idea cuz it looks like it's about 8 in?

Sponsored

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One thing concerns me, where is that board going if you get rear ended?
I'm sure there are 100 ways to secure the board but maybe a quick, easy way could be to bolt 4 tie down hooks on the underside of the board and then tie a strap from each of those down to the floor lasso points. I could see that being a good fix and also you would always have four available tie down straps if needed them for another purpose.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah that's a bummer but maybe some 2x4s could be a quick and easy idea cuz it looks like it's about 8 in?
8 inches will be tight but I think it would fit (thats what she said ;)). My tape wasnt all the way up against the back seats. But with the angle of the seats the shelf may be 8 inches but the seat would reduce the usable space above the shelf

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I might do this , but round out the corners of the board, and add some fold up legs to the bottom.. multi use shelf/picnic table..
🤯 genius double functionality

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question - is there any way to store it in vehicle when not in use? Anyway it can sit against the back of the seats/etc? looks like there is a recessed area right before you get to the seats.
Sponsored