Sponsored

[DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required.

MOON

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the thread says $28 and no cutting luckily I had all the materials (so far) to build this shelf, prime/seal it and the cutting isn’t that difficult I do have to buy some carpet material to cover it and the light for underneath so at this point I am trying to keep it under $75 but I am thinking it is going to work perfectly for my needs and really appreciate this idea that came from the original OP of this thread,
The last picture shows some material I have laying around but I am going to Home Depot to find it in black to match.
B9384364-3359-4D8B-BB56-796C57C72854.jpeg
B9384364-3359-4D8B-BB56-796C57C72854.jpeg
BE08F927-77E4-4992-9692-B0BD6EF2B033.jpeg
D2F26045-84E7-4B08-99C8-4826BED58EAC.jpeg
8EC5EA13-E32D-48E2-A7A3-82FB85D9D86B.jpeg
B677908B-A4A3-42A0-9C0D-220BA6EB9982.jpeg
440F1C18-6F9E-41C5-9F5C-EE0613348DB7.jpeg
I
That looks great!

Are you in Clearwater? One of my good friends lives in Dunedin.
Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
you could score the board across in 2 spots so will break into smaller pieces.

i love this idea. could be expanded and possibly done in different ways to make it more practical.
- picnic table idea is genius.
- foldable so you can fold it and have space for tall items without having to remove it.
- use of lighter but stronger material.
- put collapsible hooks on the bottom for groceries to hang off of.

How about a piano hinge for easy removal?

OP
OP
JJ Bronco

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was at the hardware store and ran across these wall tracks systems.

Might have some utility.

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. IMG_20211231_103524
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. IMG_20211231_103744
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. IMG_20211231_103753

The beautiful thing is they are already 4ft across. Bad thing is our board is only 5/8inchs so that may limit the weight it could hold.

Of the top of my head, I would think you could use this on one side of the board and when the board is in it's stored position, you hold tools, supplies, recovery gear, I guess anything you need.

So when the board is in this position, you could use similarly potentially?
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. IMG_20211223_140821

Google image search below

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. 614lMugm0TL._AC_SL1000_
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. CMST22000_E1

Just a thought, there is also the fact that it leans in this position.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering about a way to lift it and hold in place....a couple of straps?

gmac

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am going to explore the route of using a bamboo board. I can order one approx 24x48( custom ordered $150)
Stronger than plywood. Use it as picnic table and a shelf. Make a sock of felt to put it in while using as the shelf. Working on the base /leg for picnic use.
now I need my Bronco delivered to do some work!

Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MOON

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes in Clearwater
Nice let me know of any good shops in the area that you like. Also if you ever wanted to meet up and chat let me know. I should have mine mid March.

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finished my shelf this morning (with hangover) I ended up using mostly materials I already had so all in I have about $85 in it $25 for rubber Matt, $15 spray adhesive, $22 for light $3 for hooks and $6 for tie downs and the Sub sounds awesome now!
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. A06DA4DD-DE3B-49BB-A819-267107ACFD25
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. 581EDA3E-5455-4E89-911E-2E4DCA25A775
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. 2C0CAD7A-4FCB-40DD-99EF-A942345F1950
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. E05E3E79-EF2B-4A4B-8AF5-A9EBB6C54E37
Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. 58A65371-8CBD-4508-B645-8D4B26BCEBB6

Last edited:

sage729

Big Bend
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Big Bend soft top, Area 51, non SAS, mid pack
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great job! I didn't even think about a shelf.

MOON

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need to create a post with more details. Just been very busy with the holiday, etc.
Yes the platform is removable. The fit is nice and snug so it doesn’t move at all when I’m driving off road, yet I can lift it up and pull it out. I cut the edge that is nearest to the rear hatch in such a way that the hatch contacts the carpet, yet there’s no resistance to closing. I used a large piece of cardboard to create a template that I then traced onto a piece of plywood. I made the first cuts so it was slightly larger than necessary so I wouldn’t overdo it, and trimmed a bit at a time until it was perfect. To keep from scratching the trim plastic in the rear storage area I used that clear plastic film they use to protect carpets during construction. It’s sticky on one side and I just lined the storage area with that so I wasn’t scratching things up when I was taking the plywood in and out and making multiple cuts to get the fit nice and snug. 3/4in ply was used for the deck, with pine 3/4in thick supports.

With the rear seat folded down the forward most part of the seat sits about 3in higher than the back of the folded down seat when it’s in its horizontal position. The rear seat doesn’t fold down perfectly flat, so I used a level to establish how high the deck needed to be so the two sections were level and flat when the forward edge of the front deck rests on the folded seat. So the forward most edge of the folded seat is about 3nches higher than the rear most edge, requiring the rear deck to be about three inches high where it makes contact with the back seat when it’s in its folded up position.

I then used three hardwood blocks to bridge the front and rear deck sections together and provide support where the two come together. Each block has two holes drilled, with corresponding holes in the rear and front deck where I slide bolts down in from the top to hold the two sections in place. I will probably create pins of some sort that are smooth and slide in and out more easily than the threaded bolts, which tend to not want to come out of the holes due to the resistance the threads create. I made a countersink in the plywood for the heads on the bolts so they sit flush with the deck and don’t puncture my air mattress.
I will post some more detailed photos and diagrams to make things more clear so others can try this same setup out. I spent a lot of time figuring things out and developing a plan, and I’m very happy with how it came out. I slept in it overnight this past week and it worked perfectly.

If anyone is looking for an extremely comfortable air mattress that fits perfectly, the medium size exped megamat duo 10 in the medium double size is what you should look at. I don’t normally sleep well on air mattresses and the exped mats are on another level comfort wise. They even make a megamat max that is supposed to be even more comfortable. I didn’t want to take up too much space in the back with the mat when traveling so I went with the standard megamat (green in color.)

Here’s a link to it:
https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad

I then went with a Big Agnes Camp Robber, which is like a double sleeping bag that zips on to a bottom sheet. The bottom sheet has elastic around the edge and fits on the exped just like a normal sheet does on your bed at home. At first I thought the Camp Robber was a bit too small for the exped, but once you lay down on it everything settles in and the fit is good. It’s the double wide 40 x 72 size.

Here’s a link to the Camp Robber bedroll-
https://www.bigagnes.com/Camp-Robber-Bedroll_19

For pillows I went with the Klymit Drift pillow. These have a very smart design where the cover that protects the pillow from dirt during transport turns inside out to reveal a soft inner cover, which is washable. They are filled with shredded memory foam and are very comfortable. Perfect size for car camping as well- not too big and not too small.

Here’s the pillow-
https://klymit.com/products/drift-camp-pillow

75E9B8E8-A8E5-4A09-BA93-4B87C9727EBA.jpeg

5587EEDD-8A33-4851-8739-409A541CEABD.jpeg

9C1F9DD6-5787-4752-97A0-9986B0BDEE1C.jpeg

Note: Diagrams are not to scale

C38C7410-8319-461F-9110-5974B528C902.jpeg

2CCD628D-8286-4EA3-8CE8-43829837E033.jpeg
I just noticed you have a second board covering the rear seats when they are folded down. What does it look like when you just fold the seats down and have the rear deck in place? Would you be able to take a photo like that?

Is there just a small gap in place but level with the rear deck? I'd love to always keep the rear deck and then just flip the seats down when you want to sleep in it and not have to add that front deck piece. So just curious what it looks like without the front panel installed.

Thank you for all your help!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

EDIT: I’ve posted a separate build thread with more detail here: https://www.bronco6g.com/sleeping-deck-build-in-4-door-bronco/
I still need to create a separate detailed thread when I have time, but this should help show more detail and give a rough idea of measurements. I'm happy to answer any questions to help folks build their own.

The photo with the deck tilted is to show how its removed. The fit is snug enough that it has to be tilted up to slide it out.

The wood blocks are 5 in long by 3 1/4 in. wide by 2 3/8 in. thick. The forward edge of the rear deck is 2 3/8 in. above the "flap" section of the back of the rear seat when folded down.

The wood blocks happen to fit in the little cubby on the passenger side in the back (see photo). I'm in the process of carpeting the inside of the cubby to prevent the blocks from rattling around and scratching the plastic.

Both decks are 36 in. long for a combined 72 in. total deck length. One could make the front deck longer but it wouldn't be possible to store it stacked on top of the rear deck and have the back seat folded up in a usable position, but its certainly an option for taller folks.

Front deck- approx 42 1/2 in. wide at the front and rear edge but is wider in the center by about half an inch to follow the contour of the plastic trim. I should have taken measurements before I carpeted but unfortunately I didn't. I would take your own measurements anyway and make a template like I did. These measurements will get in in the ballpark.

Rear deck is 42 1/2 in. wide.

The center console cutout is 8 in. wide by 4 in. deep.

The vertical supports under the rear deck are 5 5/8 in. tall.

The front deck is stored flipped around because I didn't want the exposed edge of the plywood visible (I left the edge fo the two decks where they come together uncarpeted so they fit together more snugly but I'm not sure this is necessary.) Just has to be pulled out the back and flipped around and slid forward into place for setup as a sleeping deck.

The aluminum pieces visible under the passenger side of the rear deck are mounts for amplifiers I'm installing as part of my stereo, and are not a necessary component of the sleeping deck.

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageRBFmGu

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageSK2wiR

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageKzvfq9

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagey5yTeh

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageSId8P5

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageHQ8hcs

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageaUHK5a

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagedTzpvc

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagejq2Erz

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageL6YGwu

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageN608sR

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagenwvUGa

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImage8x9jNT

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageDOIhH9

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImageJzStWV

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagehfyvTY

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImage3oXOU

tempImagexO33gs.png

Last edited:

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just noticed you have a second board covering the rear seats when they are folded down. What does it look like when you just fold the seats down and have the rear deck in place? Would you be able to take a photo like that?

Is there just a small gap in place but level with the rear deck? I'd love to always keep the rear deck and then just flip the seats down when you want to sleep in it and not have to add that front deck piece. So just curious what it looks like without the front panel installed.

Thank you for all your help!!
No problem. I just posted some photos that should answer your questions. Because the rear seat doesn't sit completely level, and the folded rear seat is higher than the floor in the rear as stock, the rear deck has to be built higher than rearward edge of the folded down back seat to get the platform to be completely flat and level when the vehicle is parked on a level surface. I actually like that the floor in back is lower because it creates some space for storage under the deck- 5 5/8 in. of space in the case of my build.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I still need to create a separate detailed thread when I have time, but this should help dhow more detail and give a rough idea of measurements. I'm happy to answer any questions to help folks build their own.

The photo with the deck tilted is to show how its removed. The fit is snug enough that it has to be tilted up to slide it out.

The wood blocks are 5 in long by 3 1/4 in. wide by 2 3/8 in. thick. The forward edge of the rear deck is 2 3/8 in. above the "flap" section of the back of the rear seat when folded down.

The wood blocks happen to fit in the little cubby on the passenger side in the back (see photo). I'm in the process of carpeting the inside of the cubby to prevent the blocks from rattling around and scratching the plastic.

Both decks are 36 in. long for a combined 72 in. total deck length.

Front deck- approx 42 1/2 in. wide at the front and rear edge but is wider in the center by about half an inch to follow the counter of the plastic trim. I should have taken measurements before I carpeted but unfortunately I didn't. I would take your own measurements anyway and make a template like I did. These measurements will get in in the ballpark.

Rear deck is 42 1/2 in. wide.

The center console cutout is 8 in. wide by 4 in. deep.

The vertical supports under the rear deck are 5 5/8 in. tall.

The front deck is stored flipped around because I didn't want the exposed edge of the plywood visible (I left the edge fo the two decks where they come together uncarpeted so they fit together more snugly but I'm not sure this is necessary.) Just has to be pulled out the back and flipped around and slid forward into place for setup as a sleeping deck.

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagexO33gs

Ford Bronco [DIY] $28 trunk storage shelf for 4 door Broncos. No cutting required. tempImagexO33gs

Wow, this is some very nice work! Congratulations. While I understand the desire for the tight butt joint, it would sure seem like just sliding the top deck forward would be a much easier arrangement. I guess carpeting both sides might make it glide. Anyway, not Monday morning quarterbacking, I am truly impressed.

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow, this is some very nice work! Congratulations. While I understand the desire for the tight butt joint, it would sure seem like just sliding the top deck forward would be a much easier arrangement. I guess carpeting both sides might make it glide. Anyway, not Monday morning quarterbacking, I am truly impressed.
Thanks! The way I built it is certainly not the only way it could be done, and I welcome ideas that members may have for improvements. Hopefully my build encourages others to come up with an even better system. If I were to do it again I probably would carpet the edge of the decks where they come together and slide the deck straight back without flipping it around like you mention. Would be great to see it built that way and would love to see it.

Last edited:

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question - is there any way to store it in vehicle when not in use? Anyway it can sit against the back of the seats/etc? looks like there is a recessed area right before you get to the seats.
Maybe cut it in half and add a hinge or hinges to fold it. Also attached fold out legs to add support underneath
Sponsored