Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We installed our ARB Twin Compressor over the weekend using the KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount. The install was very simple after figuring out how and where to tap into an ignition source.

Now we need an excuse to air down the tires!

Daddy Pickens needs some air tools!
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I hope you get yours before I get mine so you can come up with the design. :)
I am still waiting for my Bronco to be built, so nothing will happen too soon. My accessory/upgrade pile is getting out of control! :)

• Black -> Ground
  • Purple -> Diode -> Aux switch
  • Yellow -> Ground
  • Dark Green -> Ground
The black wire on the 2-pin connector is isolated for reverse-polarity protection, so you probably shouldn't tie it to ground.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The black wire on the 2-pin connector is isolated for reverse-polarity protection, so you probably shouldn't tie it to ground.
Is it actually isolated or is it just grounded in the compressor?

On the ARB CKMA12 (the smaller compressor) it is actually tied to ground. I would imagine CKMTA12 it is the same, but maybe not. Also kind of weird have a isolated floating pin when the power supply from the vehicle on the red/purple pin is referenced to ground.

EDIT: Figured it out... I think. The wiring supports both 12V and 24V systems. But the relay/switch side of things all operates off of 12V. So on a 24V vehicle you have to be careful where you connect the black wire, but on 12V vehicle it's all the same ground... I think. Definitely would check it though.

Last edited:

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it actually isolated or is it just grounded in the compressor?
Connected to black battery wire in the compressor (ground return for switch light and locker solenoids). It is only an issue if the battery cables are accidentally connected wrong.

UtahBroncoGuy

First Edition
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford Bronco / 2021 FE bronco / 2023 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How soon until this might be available?

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How soon until this might be available?
The unpainted brackets are arriving to us December 30th (a week later then we thought, THANKS LOGISTICS!). It'll be another 3-5 days at paint (powder coating) and then they will ship.

First orders in are the first orders to ship. It'll take us a few days to ship everything since these are big kits and there are over a hundred orders in the queue to ship.

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/kr-off-road-arb-compressor-engine-bay-mount-for-2021-ford-bronco/

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi is there anyway to get a mount in the trunk? Similar to the below for wrangler using the hard top mounting points?
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 88CBD067-7237-454C-9E2A-232268BC113C

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi is there anyway to get a mount in the trunk? Similar to the below for wrangler using the hard top mounting points?
88CBD067-7237-454C-9E2A-232268BC113C.jpeg
Absolutely possible.

But typically the farther away from the engine bay the more difficult the install will be, as you'll need to run power from the battery all the way back to the rear of the vehicle. The wiring harness that comes with the compressor probably isn't long enough to do that, so you'll have to buy and run your own wires.

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Absolutely possible.

But typically the farther away from the engine bay the more difficult the install will be, as you'll need to run power from the battery all the way back to the rear of the vehicle. The wiring harness that comes with the compressor probably isn't long enough to do that, so you'll have to buy and run your own wires.
Good point, if you have the aux switches, isn’t
there power already back there?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point, if you have the aux switches, isn’t
there power already back there?
Yes but the wiring back there is only rated for 360 watts. The compressor pulls of 830 watts maximum, so you'll need to run heavier gauge wiring to the back to be able to safely run the compressor.

Sponsored

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes but the wiring back there is only rated for 360 watts. The compressor pulls of 830 watts maximum, so you'll need to run heavier gauge wiring to the back to be able to safely run the compressor.
Thank you what about the single?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you what about the single?
The compact compressor (ARB CKSA12) will work, it pulls a max of 108 watts.

The mid-range compressor I was looking at (CKMA12) will not, maxes out at 385 watts. It is close, so you probably will be able to get away with this compressor just for airing up tires to ~40 PSI. But I personally wouldn't do it.

In my opinion, the CKSA12 isn't worth bolting/wiring into your vehicle. If I didn't want to run my own wiring for the larger compressors, I'd probably just go with a portable kit like the CKMP12... or even a kit that can plug directly into the 12V cigarette light power outlet that's in the back of the Bronco.

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The mid-range compressor I was looking at (CKMA12) will not, maxes out at 385 watts. It is close, so you probably will be able to get away with this compressor just for airing up tires to ~40 PSI. But I personally wouldn't do it.

In my opinion, the CKSA12 isn't worth bolting/wiring into your vehicle. If I didn't want to run my own wiring for the larger compressors, I'd probably just go with a portable kit like the CKMP12... or even a kit that can plug directly into the 12V cigarette light power outlet that's in the back of the Bronco.
I apologize for the dumb questions, but when would you be under max load? I see under load the CKMA12 could be around 25.9 amps (310.9 watts). I have the Sasquatch pkg and don't plan to upgrade wheels and tires ever.

I like the trunk location for convenience and its less intimidating for the family if they have to fill other things up.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No it won't.

The single compressor is 14amps and the twin compressor is 28amps.

The pass-through wire ford left in the back is not big enough to handle that kind of current. So you need to run a dedicate power line to the rear (DO NOT use the factory pass-through wire, you will start a fire as that will melt).

The CKSA12 is for air lockers. It's 5.5amps (but again I WOULD NOT recommend using that wire Ford left you, that's a VERY small wire).

Ford honestly didn't do a good job on the gauge wire they used. Almost every electrical person out there would agree with me on this in that their amperage ratings on their lines and the gauge wire they left are less then desirable. With that kind of distance you need a thicker wire back there. And again, it's a pass-through wire, it's not designed to carry a lot of current for things like air compressors, amplifiers, etc...

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I apologize for the dumb questions, but when would you be under max load? I see under load the CKMA12 could be around 25.9 amps (310.9 watts). I have the Sasquatch pkg and don't plan to upgrade wheels and tires ever.

I like the trunk location for convenience and its less intimidating for the family if they have to fill other things up.
Go with under the hood (as shown in this threads video). Out of sight, out of mind. Takes no 0 cargo space. Easiest installation. No long harnesses to run as the included ARB harness works.
Sponsored