Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be more specific... you just need to connect the up-fitter wire from your Aux switch to the purple wire on the harness that goes to the air compressor. That allows you to control the relay that turns on/off the air compressor from the aux switch rather than the ARB switch.

@BroncoTPA specifically talked about the purple wire in their video because for some reason ARB decided to have red go to purple on the wiring harness connector. But that's the same purple wire that needs to be connected to. If I recall correctly their Outer Banks doesn't have the Aux switch option, so I'm guessing that's why they just used the ARB switch. But the Badlands they ordered will have the switches, so they can just transplant the setup over to the new Bronco when it gets there.

I was planning on doing a video how-to and/or a write-up for the ARB CKMA12 compressor, which is the smaller of the two compressors that can also be bolted into the bracket on the @4x4TruckLEDs.com website, but... need a Bronco first. ;)
And you will be doing the Aux setup? I'll be looking for that video. :)
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And you will be doing the Aux setup? I'll be looking for that video. :)
Yup I will. I also have plans on doing a tutorials for the trailer brake controller, some additional accessories, and a few things in Forscan.

BUT, no build date yet... so... that's blocking all of my plans.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup I will. I also have plans on doing a tutorials for the trailer brake controller, some additional accessories, and a few things in Forscan.

BUT, no build date yet... so... that's blocking all of my plans.
We are with you, waiting for the Badlands to arrive to install and wire to the AUX switches.

Side note, I am sure that you know this already but others browsing may not, the dealer could reset all ForScan mods when they service a vehicle. Not a huge deal for non-safety items, like the double honk, but finding out the trailer brake controller is no longer functioning could be a surprise. Just a heads up for anyone who might add a brake controller. (We did this in an F-150 in the past and had to re-add it after a dealer service.)

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My question is about heat and effect on the compressor in this location? Is it too hot to use, attach hose etc. with this location? Does the engine bay heat from a long drive effect the compressor in a negative way?

Looks like a very convenient location and install in the video.

Thanks,

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question is about heat and effect on the compressor in this location? Is it too hot to use, attach hose etc. with this location? Does the engine bay heat from a long drive effect the compressor in a negative way?

Looks like a very convenient location and install in the video.

Thanks,
The air compressor itself is specifically designed to be installed within an engine bay. It was actually designed for air lockers and is designed to be used while the vehicle is moving. The ability to air up your tires (or other inflatables) is just an added bonus. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chances are the air compressor itself generates way more heat from actually running than it gets from the components in the engine bay.

Sponsored

tedweb

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, KIA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video, thanks for posting. Now all I need are some blow-up dolls.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Noob question, but can you operate air tools with this dual compressor?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Noob question, but can you operate air tools with this dual compressor?
Ehhh... if the tool doesn't use a lot of air, but you'd really want a storage tank if you wanted to operate air tools that require a lot of air to start up.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ehhh... if the tool doesn't use a lot of air, but you'd really want a storage tank if you wanted to operate air tools that require a lot of air to start up.

Ah ok gotcha. And you can add a storage tank to these? (Like for garage use?)

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah ok gotcha. And you can add a storage tank to these? (Like for garage use?)
Yes many people add air tanks under their vehicles or inside somewhere. It's just an air system so you can route the air line from the compressor to a tank and then have a hookup line from the tank. You can also have things like solenoids installed for air horns/etc...

Sponsored

BabyJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To be more specific... you just need to connect the up-fitter wire from your Aux switch to the purple wire on the harness that goes to the air compressor. That allows you to control the relay that turns on/off the air compressor from the aux switch rather than the ARB switch.

@BroncoTPA specifically talked about the purple wire in their video because for some reason ARB decided to have red go to purple on the wiring harness connector. But that's the same purple wire that needs to be connected to. If I recall correctly their Outer Banks doesn't have the Aux switch option, so I'm guessing that's why they just used the ARB switch. But the Badlands they ordered will have the switches, so they can just transplant the setup over to the new Bronco when it gets there.

I was planning on doing a video how-to and/or a write-up for the ARB CKMA12 compressor, which is the smaller of the two compressors that can also be bolted into the bracket on the @4x4TruckLEDs.com website, but... need a Bronco first. ;)

So to verify. After hooking up the main power harness. Using the switch harness i can ignore all the other wires but the purple one. And connect that to any one of my "up fitter wires" that come from my 6 switches.

That purple wire just needs 12v to operate the relay that tells the compressor to turn on? Any idea on amperage?

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's pretty easy, since you don't need the ARB switch. You just connect one of your upfitter wires to the trigger wire on the ARB harness. DONE.
I have aux switches, but I am not sure it makes sense to control the compressor from the driver seat without air lockers. The switches are also active only in ignition "run". Also, I know that my Raptor switches get turned on by "accident" and I don't always notice.

For anyone not wanting to use aux switch, this may be useful:

This switch bracket looks handy. I ordered the "passenger side" version to try (black bracket). 813fabrication.com
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640106693312
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640106749934
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640108453318

The secondary ARB harness is bulky since it has the wiring for lockers and 3 switches. With AUX package, there is already a wire routed that can be used instead for switched power. This is also useful if you want to use the AUX switch.
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640107623187
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640107702770

Although add-a-fuse will work, pro method is to add terminal and use preinstalled fuse. These are cheapest on ebay (<$10), since dealer can't order just one terminal.
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640108027712
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount 1640107912785

Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount IMG_0575.JPG

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So to verify. After hooking up the main power harness. Using the switch harness i can ignore all the other wires but the purple one. And connect that to any one of my "up fitter wires" that come from my 6 switches.

That purple wire just needs 12v to operate the relay that tells the compressor to turn on? Any idea on amperage?
Theoretically yes.

THAT SAID, keep in mind this is me reading their wiring diagram and interpreting how it all works. I fully intend on verifying their electrical setup once I get my compressor. Sometimes manuals don't get updated or are just wrong. But the circuit is super simple so I'd be surprised if the manual is wrong.

Amperage according to ARB's manual is 8 amps, but since we're not using air lockers it is probably much less than that. Regardless, any of the Aux switches would work since they are all fused for at least 10 amps.

All you need to do is connect the Purple to the Aux switch and you are good to go. However, I personally would wire it as follows just to be extra safe:
  • Black -> Ground
  • Purple -> Diode -> Aux switch
  • Yellow -> Ground
  • Dark Green -> Ground
The diode is for current protection. Compressor pulls a lot of current, and if the relay goes bad you don't want any current to leak where it shouldn't go. The yellow & dark green lines are for the solenoids that operate the air lockers. If you don't have air lockers then you don't need them, but I would still ground them so you don't have a floating potential.

Last edited:

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have aux switches, but I am not sure it makes sense to control the compressor from the driver seat without air lockers. The switches are also active only in ignition "run". Also, I know that my Raptor switches get turned on by "accident" and I don't always notice.

For anyone not wanting to use aux switch, this may be useful:

This switch bracket looks handy. I ordered the "passenger side" version to try (black bracket). 813fabrication.com
Ford Bronco DIY - ARB Twin Compressor Install using KR Off-Road Engine Bay Mount IMG_0575.JPG

The secondary ARB harness is bulky since it has the wiring for lockers and 3 switches. With AUX package, there is already a wire routed that can be used instead for switched power. This is also useful if you want to use the AUX switch.

Although add-a-fuse will work, pro method is to add terminal and use preinstalled fuse. These are cheapest on ebay (<$10), since dealer can't order just one terminal.

So I hope you get yours before I get mine so you can come up with the design. :)

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah basically ARB's harnesses are intended to be used with lockers and other things. 99% of us are not installing lockers so we can ignore all that locker stuff. In fact, the instructions tend to be confusing because they go on and on about lockers.

If you have factory upfitter switches, then you just care about that 1 trigger wire. The compressor wires directly to the battery and you will connect an upfitter to the trigger wire on the compressors harness to turn it on. So amperage does not matter, as you are just using a TINY bit of amperage to trigger the relay on the compressor. So use any upfitter.

If you don't have upfitters (which was the case for the Pickens family) then you need to install an aftermarket switch system OR use the included ARB switch. Some folks install it inside the cab but another popular option is to install it right next to the compressor on a tiny bracket.

We did not build that into our bracket because honestly those types of brackets already exist. But we will look into making a switch bracket that bolts right onto our ARB bracket (we did leave additional mounting points for future accessories)
Sponsored