Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like what you did, Im just interested in the trade-offs and Im not familiar with automotive acoustic products. Would you show a side edge view of the materials you used and how you think they worked?
This is unscientific, but I laid them together and used a quarter as reference. You're losing about ~3/8's inch of headroom

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner PXL_20211126_161349122
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Free for us 1st year orders - but for those buying after, that's what's listed on the Ford Accessories site
The headliner is free on the MY 22 build and price page as well. You have to select the option if you want it, but it is no added cost.

jtim47Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 28th new Ford replacing my 2015 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)
* 1/8 thick Dynaliner closed/open cell foam (self-adhesive)
* Some charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

It was relatively simple:

Step 1: Clean and prep surface
Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: The sound improved greatly, and that's what I was looking for - still noisier than a Prius of course, but night and day compared to the bare MIC.

looks very nice. are you for hire? lol.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I had originally ordered a hard top, I was planning on doing the same thing because a sheet of fleece is not sound deadening. Another thought I had was having a shop spray on truck bed liner. The extra layers you put on should make a big difference. Good work!

I will say to anyone attempting this to use a good adhesive like Landau adhesive and not the spray can adhesives. The aerosol adhesives can't stand up to heat and will quickly release.
The canned adhesive (3M) works well. You just have to let it set up before you apply. Then reactive with a hair dryer or heat gun.
My plan for this is similar. I’m going to use dynamat first, then spray bed liner over top of the dynamat to seal it in. Should add less weight and be a little quicker of a job.

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The canned adhesive (3M) works well. You just have to let it set up before you apply. Then reactive with a hair dryer or heat gun.
My plan for this is similar. I’m going to use dynamat first, then spray bed liner over top of the dynamat to seal it in. Should add less weight and be a little quicker of a job.
I'm not going to lie, that sounds like a better plan - it took me two and a half afternoons for the way I did it...most of which was spent meticulously cutting & measuring the mats/foam/carpet so all the angles lined up just right.

Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not going to lie, that sounds like a better plan - it took me two and a half afternoons for the way I did it...most of which was spent meticulously cutting & measuring the mats/foam/carpet so all the angles lined up just right.
I’ve fantasized about how I would tackle this for a while. The other part of this project would be to paint match the outside of the top. Then PPF the entire thing.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know a little about acoustic science, and the point in this application is to absorb the sound waves, not reflect. Since bedliner is capable of repelling water, its probable that that (epoxy) bedliner material would reflect --bounce-- sound waves as well. Putting dynamat on first will help with vibration and similar road noise, but would not help with interior noise with a reflective coating. If you can find a sprayable absorbent material, that might work.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know a little about acoustic science, and the point in this application is to absorb the sound waves, not reflect. Since bedliner is capable of repelling water, its probable that that (epoxy) bedliner material would reflect --bounce-- sound waves as well. Putting dynamat on first will help with vibration and similar road noise, but would not help with interior noise with a reflective coating. If you can find a sprayable absorbent material, that might work.
True. My main consideration would be blocking road/outside noise. And any NVH that resonates through the roof panels.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

True. My main consideration would be blocking road/outside noise. And any NVH that resonates through the roof panels.
Share when you figure it our. I've wondered about that spray rubber in a can but that also may be too reflective while also being somewhat absorbent

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Butyl rubber damps out vibration. Over that an absorbing layer should be used. Felt is the best absorber you can buy for the money. Can buy sheets of it between eighth inch thick to over an inch. I'd suggest .5 inch minimum.
Bed coating would likely not help at all and maybe even hurt the butyl layers efficiency.

Sponsored

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This could be another good way to eliminate the factory inner liner flocking from falling on you. Of course you would first have to remove it. I don't know how healthy the factory roof sound deadner /liner is after looking at it in a mannequin sitting at the dealership. We happened to catch it falling inside after brushing it with our hand, when the sun was behind us looking into the driver side. This is going to be a very dusty environment of which we will be breathing in. Just a thought to be concerned with for some.

• Wow
Reactions: Cat

ImNotLostUR

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone interested in a shaggy carpet?

It looks really good. Well done!

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you opted out of the free headliner, and then added tacky carpet to the panels anyways?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well done. This is great stuff. We took delivery of a 2 door BD last week and opted out of the factory "sound deadening" in order to follow a similar path. It sounds like you had a significant improvement on the road/wind noise and I am sooo glad to hear that.

If you did it again, would you change anything on the Dynamat products? I was going to do the same thing on the first two layers, but then cover those with a carbon fiber wrap vinyl in lieu of the carpet.

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you opted out of the free headliner, and then added tacky carpet to the panels anyways?
They were out of pink velvet. I don't drink tea with my pinky out, friend - I'm not fancy. The real upgrade (and cost) was the sound deadening and insulating material - the carpet just hides that. I picked it because I liked the rugged but thin properties.
Sponsored