Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was the way I was going to go at first too and then I spoke to my dealer about getting some parts painted and he mentioned the powder coating. I guess I have a second set. Honestly I can probably sell them on Ebay and get what I paid for the black ones.
No doubt - there will be first editions or wild tracks who prefer the aluminum. You could prob sell here. Or to me so I have a clean set of originals when I sell my truck before my kids turn 16. 🤫

Adrenalista

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

MrHatt

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
How are these holding up? I’m wondering if this is good enough or if a Plasti Dip is better.

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
$720 for a set of 5 rings in black powder coat!!!
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1021K-BLB

Sponsored

HawkRX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Used a drill driver to get them mostly in and hand tightened with a 3/8 ratchet. Checked them all after a drive and seemed fine. I’ll double check in a few days. Really happy with how it turned out. I was torn between black and carbonized but I think the gray captures the look of the optional badlands wheel without losing the design of the wheel to an all black appearance. I figured worst case I could always redo them black if I didn’t like gray but it’s staying as-is for sure.

0C9EF8A9-4789-44D3-ABEA-FC4F454283ED.jpeg
These look great! I know you said you used carbonized gray paint, but what kind of paint did you use specifically? Aka what brand, color, etc.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) 80782D23-D26F-4C0A-B74E-A0104E0535FC
Took a gamble. Don’t think it paid off. I’ll keep for summer.
Vinyl wrap? Paint? Dip? I’m putting a splash of 3M neon yellow on my rear fender and think those rings might be fun if temporary

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Metallic carbonized grey to match the amb and badlands grill. Came out pretty good and has held up to some abuse so far.

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0499.JPG

DSC_0509.JPG

Sponsored

Hunter33mc

Badlands
First Name
HUNTER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Corvette stingray, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Wildtrack will be arriving from dirt mountain with the black rings. I happen to like the silver ones. I will be looking to trade with someone. If anyone is in the greater Boston area with silver rings, I'll be looking to trade... I'd prefer to avoid having to get into shipping but if necessary then maybe... any takers?
Did you get a trade on your rings.
I have a brand new Badlands looking to trade for black.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you get a trade on your rings.
I have a brand new Badlands looking to trade for black.
Sorry when I got my car I realized how nice the Wildtrak looks with zero chrome and the extra piano black grill and mirrors, hood sticker and gloss matching door handles and I decided to keep it as it pops so we’ll against cactus gray

6448F201-24E8-4669-8471-23AE034EC533.jpeg

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I used a scrotch Brits to try and scuff it up a bit. Wiped them down with a microfiber towel and then started to spray. By the third layer it was apparent that I probably should have cleaned it with rubbing alcohol because there are a few spots that the paint won’t take and I’m guessing it’s from my wheel shine.

So anyone have an idea of how to start over?

I’m guess I need to sand it down, wipe it with rubbing alcohol, and then try again??

Hunter33mc

Badlands
First Name
HUNTER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Corvette stingray, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry when I got my car I realized how nice the Wildtrak looks with zero chrome and the extra piano black grill and mirrors, hood sticker and gloss matching door handles and I decided to keep it as it pops so we’ll against cactus gray

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) 6448F201-24E8-4669-8471-23AE034EC533
Totally understand

Gabriel

Badlands
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks @luptanpitman for the post. I went with BEHR Black Satin to try to match closer to the flares than to the wheel. Here is what I use/did:
  • Used 600 grit just to remove the shine, took my time.
Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Prep1.JPG
Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Prep2.JPG

• Used 2 cans of Behr Black Satin (at local Home Depot they had Gloss, Mate and Satin)
Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Paint

• I cleaned them with Windex just to remove all dust particles
  • First layer of paint was really light
  • wait 15min apply second medium layer, still not fully covered
  • wait 15min apply third medium layer and covered all surface completely
Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) LastCoat.JPG

• wait 15min apply final coat.
I'm happy with the results, here are some pics.....next the emblem and sound!

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Back.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Final.JPG

Thanks everyone

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) Side2.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: