First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in the black ring camp for my Badlands. I prefer the black Bronco badge and the all black rings for the wheels. I would order the wildtrak but I prefer the interior accent yellow then the blue. Wonder if their are wildtrak guys that would swap the black rings for the silver rings?
Sponsored

Reactions: Jak
OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
those look great!

did you have any issue with the paint adhering? Was thinking about doing the same but powdercoating sure is expensive

thanks - I didn't have issue with it adhering but I did prob 5 or 6 coats. I learned through this project the key is less is more - so going real slow with a consistent spray distance and a sort of air brush movement, ultimately using very little paint over many coats, with at least 30-40 min between coats so it dries. Then touching up the edges last. It takes longer but otherwise the results are not so great. There is definitely an art to it and if it didn't seem like such a fun project I would have paid someone.
Looks great. I might do this and get regular flares instead of new rims and tires. At least for a year or so :)

I like the regular flares too but I think the problem will be the bumper width is exactly the distance of the sas flares + the tires are gonna stick out which will change the look a bit despite addressing the big fat fenders.
Came out really well! I plan on doing the same. I strongly dislike the silver accent on the black wheel.

However, I would recommend others not use paint and primer combo to paint over the bare metal (if it is bare metal, not sure if its painted silver).

Paint and Primer combo is typically used to paint over existing painted surfaces where the adhesion is already known to be strong. There is no actual primer typically, as its just a thicker formulation of paint for better coverage.

Like I said though, if the ring is painted from the factory then this entire comment is moot.

Great advice and I'm sure you are right. The silver factory trim has a layer of resin over the metal, but yes it isn't paint. I scuffed that layer up to help with the paint adhering. It worked but I can imagine there are way better options to do this.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

those look great!

did you have any issue with the paint adhering? Was thinking about doing the same but powdercoating sure is expensive
Have you had a quote? Expensive or just expensive compared to a spray can.

My PC place would do this for 50 or 60 bucks.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it’s resin(epoxy), that’s better than primer! In that case, you did it correctly. A light scuffing and a good paint is all you need! Good to know!

Bronceaux

Base
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sasquatch, Chevrolet Z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
Looks good! My intent (whenever I get mine) is to powder coat my beauty rings carbonized gray. I like the contrast, but want darker than the silver.

Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Totally planned on doing this, even ordered the fancy kind of Plasti-Dip in two colors, but as soon as I saw my Bronco I knew I wasn’t going to change much about it. Maybe down the road I’ll buy a darker ring aftermarket but I won’t be using an abrasive on or painting anything that came on the vehicle.

OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good! My intent (whenever I get mine) is to powder coat my beauty rings carbonized gray. I like the contrast, but want darker than the silver.
Yeah I agree - I think the carbonized grey would go really nicely with the grill too, was thinking about that as option.

The problem with the silver is that it doesn't compliment any other color on the truck so it really stands out in a way that is a bit flashy for me.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's my thoughts as well. I can always go to black if I don't like the look of carbonized. Going after the badlands optional wheel look.

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

As much as I like getting things powder-coated (and I do), I think the time delay in getting them back would be too great. Not sure I'd like rolling around in my new ride without any rings. BTW, I like the black but think carbonized grey would be worth a try.

DoorlessDriver

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU; 6-speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Nice.

Sponsored

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that looks really sharp!

When I was researching my order, I actually wanted the metallic on the BL instead of the black on the WT. But now that I've seen what you've done, I'm questioning that choice.

philipjgee

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Expedition, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Saw this at my dealership last week. Front recovery hooks and bash plate was also powder coated in the same blue.

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) 86B507B7-C256-4603-A136-4515B5218B00

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Huge improvement! Should come from the factory that way on Sasquatch.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model