Sponsored

Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics* welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover.

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond 2022 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since I haven't been able to find a cover for the 2 door, my stepfather and I decided to build our own. He's a retired Navy flight mechanic with his own airplane and excellent welding skills. This is our initial mock up and tack welding of the frame. It will be painted matte black and covered with Arctic grade vinyl when finished.

Enjoy.

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_143609

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_114413

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_114447

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_120303

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_121727

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_142559

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_142610

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_150349

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_161234

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 20220417_161246

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 33028

Ford Bronco Diy tonneau cover for Pokey. *Update with new pics*  welded, snaps installed and ready to paint and cover. 33030

20220519_154255.jpg

20220519_154252.jpg

20220519_154249.jpg

20220519_154612.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great job! You should start fabbing these up, en-mass and make $$$.
Hardest is the 1st one. We talked about building a jig off this one to build more. We shall see.

vb_bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Excited to see the final product, Did you think about an option that might have a hinge element?

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No. Just going yo use 4 "Bronco" bolts to hold it down for now. Might do some revisions after it's completed.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hardest is the 1st one. We talked about building a jig off this one to build more. We shall see.
I have a 2 door on order and have been thinking about doing this same exact thing. Let us know if you plan on selling them! I like your design much better than the one Ford is selling .

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2 door on order and have been thinking about doing this same exact thing. Let us know if you plan on selling them! I like your design much better than the one Ford is selling .
I didn't want straps across the gate and still be able to open it.

HUbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50Year
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is awesome and just what I'm looking for. Your pics are awesome and you did an excellent job with the welding. I may do a mdf top covered in MGV instead of the snaps, but other than that, I bet it will be pretty close to what you have here.

I'm gonna have to break out the welder. Thanks for the inspiration.

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is awesome and just what I'm looking for. Your pics are awesome and you did an excellent job with the welding. I may do a mdf top covered in MGV instead of the snaps, but other than that, I bet it will be pretty close to what you have here.

I'm gonna have to break out the welder. Thanks for the inspiration.
Got it finished.

20220529_122905.jpg

20220529_122920.jpg

20220528_181517.jpg

20220529_122932.jpg

HUbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50Year
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks great!

What material did you find for the actual cover?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks great!

What material did you find for the actual cover?
It's arctic grade vinyl, a little more weather resistant than the marine grade. Mostly got it because of available color at the time. We have a pattern now so I can grab some different colors.

HUbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50Year
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks, I'll probably just do Marine Grade then as I'm in Southern California and it won't get much weather, but plenty of sun.

DirtyGSer

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's arctic grade vinyl, a little more weather resistant than the marine grade. Mostly got it because of available color at the time. We have a pattern now so I can grab some different colors.

Ok, I'll come out up front and say this is NOT criticism, it is in the interest of learning from your experience ....if I ever get off my azzzzz and try to replicate.

1) Fan - effing - tastic! very nice design and execution!

Q1) why the snaps rather than some sort of HD Velcro as i have seen on pickup tonneaus? -ease of placement, success, better attachment? just trying to figure what to try.

Q2) is the driver side angle cut on the cover vs. the passenger side square cut? why? did one work better than the other or was it needed for install or something? It looks as if the frame is square cut on each side but the cover isn't.

Q3) Do you get much tent flapping while driving? ....air getting under it and causing it to bellow. I have tried a few different approaches and can't get rid of the flapping... I like the center brace...which might avoid what I am talking of...will have to try that next if it does seem to.

Really like your design/approach, THANKS for sharing!

J

OP
OP
Tanman

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, I'll come out up front and say this is NOT criticism, it is in the interest of learning from your experience ....if I ever get off my azzzzz and try to replicate.

1) Fan - effing - tastic! very nice design and execution!

Q1) why the snaps rather than some sort of HD Velcro as i have seen on pickup tonneaus? -ease of placement, success, better attachment? just trying to figure what to try.

Q2) is the driver side angle cut on the cover vs. the passenger side square cut? why? did one work better than the other or was it needed for install or something? It looks as if the frame is square cut on each side but the cover isn't.

Q3) Do you get much tent flapping while driving? ....air getting under it and causing it to bellow. I have tried a few different approaches and can't get rid of the flapping... I like the center brace...which might avoid what I am talking of...will have to try that next if it does seem to.

Really like your design/approach, THANKS for sharing!

J
We felt snaps were more secure than velcro and helped to stretch the fabric. The difference on the driver side is for the storage clips to hold the washer hose and plug for the top. Lastly, zero turbulence or flap. Most likely from snaps holding taught abd the center brace. Always open to constructive criticism. This was a one off project to fill what I felt I needed, and bonding with the old man.
Sponsored