Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huge thanks @Bo-Ronco !!!
I finally finished my install of the MXT575 50 watt version. It's bigger, so I had to add spacers under the radio mount to raise it up enough to fit it. I wired it in to the 15A #2 upfitter switch as you suggested for the extra power of this head unit.
Apart from that, I copied your install.
I'm a total noob as I've never installed anything similar to this before.
Super happy with how it turned out.
Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd IMG_9519.JPG
Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd IMG_9518.JPG
Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd IMG_9520.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally finished my install of the MXT575 50 watt version. It's bigger, so I had to add spacers under the radio mount to raise it up enough to fit it. I wired it in to the 15A #2 upfitter switch as you suggested for the extra power of this head unit.
Looks awesome!!

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aux switch is definitely the way to go. I listen to the highway channels sometimes. If they get to where they bother me I can just flip the switch. Not only super easy, but also super satisfying to flip that sweet overhead switch!

And yeah, to your point, when you've got the hand mic stowed away there is no point in the radio having power.
I thought the button on the mic is turn it on/off? No? I am installing the radio right now and I am on the fence between battery VS AUX.

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the button on the mic is turn it on/off? No? I am installing the radio right now and I am on the fence between battery VS AUX.
You can indeed turn it off with the hand mic. It's all personal preference.

2ndGenBroncoOwner

First Edition
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd IMG_9520.JPG
same here... except I used this connector (link below) from Amazon so I could keep the connection clean when I'm not using the radio.

Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd dust cover

https://a.co/d/g55BOTh

Sponsored

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

same here... except I used this connector (link below) from Amazon so I could keep the connection clean when I'm not using the radio.

Ford Bronco DIY Video Walkthrough - Super Clean GMRS Radio Install Cont'd dust cover

https://a.co/d/g55BOTh
I was kind of wishing I'd gone with a connector like that, but every time I'm out getting it dirty, I have the mic plugged in anyway.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can indeed turn it off with the hand mic. It's all personal preference.
So wiring to the AUX or the battery directly are both similar cases? What would happen if I unplugged the mic without turning off the button? Will the radio still be on?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So wiring to the AUX or the battery directly are both similar cases? What would happen if I unplugged the mic without turning off the button? Will the radio still be on?
I am really not sure if it will power down without the hand mic plugged in.

But here is one thing to consider. If you wire directly to the battery, you are going to HAVE to power down or unplug the mic every time you use it. If you forget, it is going to drain your battery.

The AUX switches are powered with the ignition switch. For that reason alone, I chose the AUX switch. Didn't want to rely on my memory lol

spartacus1882

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you mount the 575 in the same spot as OP?

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you mount the 575 in the same spot as OP?
Yes. It was a tighter fit, and I did need to raise it up, just a tad with some spacers, so that I could connect the mic cord to the radio.

Sponsored

spartacus1882

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. It was a tighter fit, and I did need to raise it up, just a tad with some spacers, so that I could connect the mic cord to the radio.
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if the 575 would fit. But glad it can work on the same spot.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am really not sure if it will power down without the hand mic plugged in.

But here is one thing to consider. If you wire directly to the battery, you are going to HAVE to power down or unplug the mic every time you use it. If you forget, it is going to drain your battery.

The AUX switches are powered with the ignition switch. For that reason alone, I chose the AUX switch. Didn't want to rely on my memory lol
Got it! Good point, thanks!

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, you weren't kidding when you said super clean. Nice work

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By the way, not sure if you know this, but if you find the speaker to be too muffled in the center console you can actually change a setting to have the audio come out of the hand mic.

After offroading with this setup a bit I found it necessary to start utilizing the hand mic speaker. It just wasn't loud enough inside that console.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone put the handset up high? Seen a few jeeps donit and it does make more sense (like on the rollbar to the left of your head, or on the aux switch box).

Was thinking if there was a way to run that RJ plug up the A piller or something and have the mic connection up there.
Sponsored