Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fixed a windshield chip myself today. It's pretty easy and took me about 45 minutes, but would have been less if I knew what I was doing. Results are pretty good - I can still see the chip a little bit (my own fault) but the small cracks are completely filled so I'm not worried about it spreading.

It is a UV resin, so be sure to perform in the shade or it will start to set up before the process is complete. This was my mistake. Overall I'm happy, and it only cost a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BHS1W2XV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Ford Bronco DIY Windshield Chip Repair PXL_20230107_222502520

Ford Bronco DIY Windshield Chip Repair PXL_20230107_204432076

Ford Bronco DIY Windshield Chip Repair PXL_20230107_210802484.MP

Ford Bronco DIY Windshield Chip Repair PXL_20230107_221732422
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fixed a windshield chip myself today. It's pretty easy and took me about 45 minutes, but would have been less if I knew what I was doing. Results are pretty good - I can still see the chip a little bit (my own fault) but the small cracks are completely filled so I'm not worried about it spreading.

It is a UV resin, so be sure to perform in the shade or it will start to set up before the process is complete. This was my mistake. Overall I'm happy, and it only cost a few bucks.

Can you circle in the last picture where the repair was made? It obviously works as advertised as I'm having trouble seeing the repair. I have a Jeep that could benefit from this kit.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Never done this but I’ve heard of it. Wonder why that syringe is so HUGE? Looks like something you’d feed a baby Rhino with. How much material do you have to pump into that little star?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used to get chips so many times from commuting that I got tired of paying $60 each to have fixed. Decided to try one of those inexpensive chip fix kits and haven't looked back.

Mine looks different than yours, But I have yet to have one spread.

Now if you get a full crack this won't work, but I've gotten into the habit of fixing the chip as soon as I get home.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-x-W...By-Repairing-Chips-And-Cracks-600001/34163599

Sponsored
OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Never done this but I’ve heard of it. Wonder why that syringe is so HUGE? Looks like something you’d feed a baby Rhino with. How much material do you have to pump into that little star?
The syringe isn't for the resin, it's to pull vacuum to draw the resin into the entire chip. It only uses 5-6 drops to fill the repair.

OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you circle in the last picture where the repair was made? It obviously works as advertised as I'm having trouble seeing the repair. I have a Jeep that could benefit from this kit.
I can't find it in the picture either. I'll see if I can get another one. The only reason there's still a small divot is because I did it in the sun and the resin started to set up prematurely (my fault, not the kit's). I'm going to redo the final step today with the leftover resin and my guess is I won't be able to tell it even happened.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've just used a clear glue, covered with tape until dry. Always worked.

OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've just used a clear glue, covered with tape until dry. Always worked.
I like that by pulling vacuum it really fills the cracks all the way to the end, and at $3 per repair I can't complain about the price.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Worked pretty well!

Sponsored

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's awesome. Chips always seem to spread, so this should keep that from happening hopefully. Great solution if you live somewhere with just occasional rock chips. For a few bucks, you can just throw a few into each vehicle.

I went with film to prevent chips in the first place. Here there are just too many rocks in the road, if I tried to rely on filling in chips, I would inevitably have one spread before I could fill it in. Also my first windshield broke from a rock right at the edge, so I didn't even know there was a chip there until it had already spread.

OP
OP
KABQ

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's awesome. Chips always seem to spread, so this should keep that from happening hopefully. Great solution if you live somewhere with just occasional rock chips. For a few bucks, you can just throw a few into each vehicle.

I went with film to prevent chips in the first place. Here there are just too many rocks in the road, if I tried to rely on filling in chips, I would inevitably have one spread before I could fill it in. Also my first windshield broke from a rock right at the edge, so I didn't even know there was a chip there until it had already spread.
Plenty of rocks here, too. That was my first chip, but I expect more- that's why I got the kit that will do 4 repairs. As you said, the key will be getting to them quickly before they have a chance to spread.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yup,truckers use these kits all the time. Seem to work well.

Via

Badlands
First Name
ViaC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's impressive that you were able to fix your windshield chip yourself! DIY windshield repair can be a rewarding experience, and it's great to hear that you had success with it. The https://crackeraser.com/products/basic-diy-windshield-repair-kit from Crack Eraser can be a valuable tool for such repairs. It's designed to fill in small cracks and prevent them from spreading further. Just like you mentioned, it's important to work in a shaded area to allow the UV resin to properly cure without any premature setting. I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the results, even if there's a slight visibility of the chip. Overall, DIY windshield repair is a cost-effective solution that can save you time and money. Well done on taking matters into your own hands

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh, got my first stone chip a couple days ago. Got the repair kit just have to remember to do it. It’s always cause some car held up the flow of traffic that it puts me at that precise moment to get a stone chip.
Sponsored