Sponsored

Do G.O.A.T modes make a difference to a skilled driver?

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not speaking on my driving ability, but what exactly do different drive modes offer that someone who knows what they’re doing? Any indication from the Raptors drive modes?​

I’m particularly curious about Baja mode.​

Could someone just put it into 4H and use the paddle shifters to emulate Baja mode? Or could someone even just put it into Sport mode and then select 4H?​
I’m just wondering if they are game-changing, a convenient option selection tool, or mostly a gimmick.​
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the answer is “nothing” aside from perhaps throttle input or shift point changes... which could help a ton.

But even if it didn’t do that, if changing the goat mode one notch automatically adjusts everything that would normally take you 3-4 button pushes, seems pretty handy.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t think anyone “needs” goat modes. I think bombing down the desert at 70 mph is probably fun regardless. :ROFLMAO:

However. If certain goat modes are basically pre-selecting certain drivetrain combinations (eg Baja = rear locker + 4H + sport mode) then I can definitely see the convenience if you’re unsure which combo is best for which situation.

If it’s just fine-tuning certain features to make it that little bit better / faster / more controllable in certain situations then that’s really more like the cherry on top for a good driver.

personally, I tend to do more desert / beach driving than rock crawling being from SoCal. Unless I’m in deep sand, I tend to get as far as I can in 2H because I think it’s the most fun for tooling around. Then if/when I get stuck; I pop into 4 and get out. My TJ was so light I could air down just a few PSI and get pretty damn far down most beaches in 2H. As long as you can feather the throttle right and keep your momentum / not dig a hole. But that’s also with 2 passengers and beach towels, not hundreds of pounds of gear.

most 4wd systems I’ve personally had are more (for me) about getting unstuck rather than an always-on control. I don’t get on a dirt road and immediately go into 4H (that would be a little silly) But I can see how rock crawling is different. Honestly I spend 95% of my time off-road in 2H and rarely can’t get somewhere. Unless it’s muddy, deep, slippery, etc. better fuel mileage and easier steering etc.

I do think a skilled driver w/ out goat is much much more capable than an inexperienced driver with goat modes.

It’s like any other tool, just need to RTFM and know how / when to use it; and not use it as an excuse for lack of experience.

Last edited:

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not speaking on my driving ability, but what exactly do different drive modes offer that someone who knows what they’re doing? Any indication from the Raptors drive modes?​
I’m particularly curious about Baja mode.​
Could someone just put it into 4H and use the paddle shifters to emulate Baja mode? Or could someone even just put it into Sport mode and then select 4H?​
I’m just wondering if they are game-changing, a convenient option selection tool, or mostly a gimmick.​
The are purely marketing. Basically goat modes are pairing typical driving modes (eco, normal, sport - which will adjust the throttle and shift points) and pairing them with 4x4 settings.

So instead of putting the bronco into "sport mode", and then pressing another button to put into to 4H. You can just turn on "Baja" mode. For rock crawling instead of hitting 3-4 buttons, you can put it into "rock crawling" mode.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If done well they are useful to a skilled driver, without a doubt. If anything, for ease and speed of set-up. Some people will say it’s “all marketing”...but reality is that driving modes make a difference and are very usable.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have only had 4wd's that do what I say and don't ask questions/do things on their own.

Not a selling feature for me.

The traction control on my wife's car is infuriating.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If done well they are useful to a skilled driver, without a doubt. If anything, for ease and speed of set-up. Some people will say it’s “all marketing”...but reality is that driving modes make a difference and are very usable.
I'm looking forward to it. It's so easy to get into trouble.... And so hard to get out! This is a little insurance.

OP
OP

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sounds like when I use a translation app on Spanish slang.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has the ability to control things you can't. Baja mode isn't just 4H with Sport mode. It allows wheel slippage that traction control in Sport won't.

It's like people dogging the Trail Turn Assist in the other thread. You think you can lock the brakes on the inside rear wheel at will without it? Post that shit up on YouTube, because the dozens of videos I've seen of Jeeps on switchbacks almost always include some lengthy eleventy-billion point turn.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has the ability to control things you can't. Baja mode isn't just 4H with Sport mode. It allows wheel slippage that traction control in Sport won't.

It's like people dogging the Trail Turn Assist in the other thread. You think you can lock the brakes on the inside rear wheel at will without it? Post that shit up on YouTube, because the dozens of videos I've seen of Jeeps on switchbacks almost always include some lengthy eleventy-billion point turn.
Yeah, it was hilarious that dude claiming he could do the same thing with just the break and throttle as TTA...he can’t. The debate reminds me of when Toyota came out with Crawl Control....same thing, people claimed it was just marketing...unneeded if you were a “good driver”. Then Toyota invited high profile 4x4 writers/drivers to come try to get trucks they had gotten stuck out of different situations. They couldn’t. Then they turned on Crawl Control and the trucks pulled right out. Then they let them get the trucks stuck how. Toyota drivers switched and pulled them right out with CC on. Computer controlled can help....someone who think’s it’s like his wife’s traction control has zero idea what the benefits can be....

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do it with my tractors all the time.

Differential brakes are nice.

OP
OP

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Could one simply disable traction control in Sport mode to achieve that? I know in the Raptors Sport mode you could do that. Not sure if they’re changing that for the Bronco.

I’ve driven the Raptor in Baja mode and just didn’t like the throttle at all, so I much preferred the Sport mode in 4H with traction off. Just gave me a more responsive and in-control experience.
Sponsored