Sponsored

Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect?

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would I be missing out on any capabilities if I choose a Wildtrak over a Badlands with Squatch? The only major thing I can think of is the sway bar disconnect.

What would I not be able to do if I chose to go without it?

From my understanding, sway bar disconnects matter much more on a solid front axle set up.

Edit: Shoutout to the mods for making better titles for my posts, I appreciate it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the Bronco, the suspension was designed with disconnecting the sway bar in mind. It greatly increases the travel of the front suspension. I don't have pictures on hand, but I have seen pictures of the sway bar links and you can easily disconnect manually with a couple of wrenches. This means that the hydraulic disconnect is more of a creature comfort than a necessity.

The only other features you would miss with a Wildtrak over a Badlands are the Marine Grade Vinyl interior with rubberized washout floors with active drains and the Rock Crawl GOAT mode.

Disconnecting the sway bar is awesome for even mild trail riding because it lets your suspension do its job without being being limited and really smooths everything out. Granted, I have only done this on my Wrangler which has SFA, but it will improve an already more comfortable ride in the Bronco. Also, I manually disconnect my sway bar. It was annoying at first, but I bought some quick disconnects with my lift and now it takes maybe 1 minute per side if the pins are stuck.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No - you miss almost nothing.
The Sway Bar disconnect is purely there to say the Bronco has it. Barely adds any flex as seen on many videos recently.

top pic is with sway connected. bottom with disconnect.

sway bar.png

Last edited:

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would I be missing out on much if I choose a Wildtrak over a Badlands with Squatch? The only major thing I can think of is the sway bar disconnect.

What would I not be able to do if I chose to go without it?

From my understanding, sway bar disconnects matter much more on a solid front axle set up.
You won't be able to do as much "hardcore" rock crawling. Your ride will also just be bumpier on lesser trails. For 90% of the crowd on this website, you won't ever use it.

Chris

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember hearing someone say its most noticeable on long bumpy trails by making the ride smoother by having them disconnected and reduces fatigue. Articulation probably doesn't change much for rock crawling though.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My understanding is that it's for off-roading on very uneven ground or rock climbing, where 1 or more tires comes off the ground. I'm sure the experts out here can explain it better than I.

I plan on going with Badlands and am pretty sure I'll use it maybe 1% of the time I own it.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No - you miss almost nothing.
The Sway Bar disconnect is purely there to say the Bronco has it. Barely adds any flex as seen on many videos recently.

top pic is with sway connected. bottom with disconnect.

Ford Bronco Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect? sway bar
I agree it adds very little. But...on an IFS vs an SFA you want any more articulation you can get.

That being said....buying a Bronco without the disconnect button is no big deal. You can add a manual disconnect later or just unbolt it.

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My understanding is that it's for off-roading on very uneven ground or rock climbing, where 1 or more tires comes off the ground. I'm sure the experts out here can explain it better than I.

I plan on going with Badlands and am pretty sure I'll use it maybe 1% of the time I own it.
Exactly. It increases articulation, or the amount of range that your front wheels can travel from "flat". So, if you're going over large rocks, it allows your suspension to angle more without making the whole truck tip sideways as much.

Chris

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a convenience feature, not an extra capability. As mentioned before, you can still DC your sway bar manually with a wrench and ratchet in about 5 minutes. So you’re not losing any functionality if you don’t get it.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
All you need to do is unbolt one of these to manually disconnect. (Will need to look closer but your best bet is probably to unbolt the bottom one, then bungee cord it to the actual sway bar so it’s out of the way.)

also need to do it on both sides.

Ford Bronco Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect? B8E4977C-FF1A-4619-9CE4-D81260BE25DD

Sponsored

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IF you have an LT kit, which clearly the Bronco DOES NOT with all the tire in the air pictures I've been seeing on rock crawls with no obvious difference with the sway bars connected or not, then you should remove your anti sway bars to make the most of your front articulation and long travel.

Automatic discos seem to be spotty at best with Jeeps and most people seem to just remove them if you rock hump on weekends, especially the Land Cruiser and 4Runner bois, who are an odd bunch.

*I do not advocate running with the bars disconnected on the streets, you will die horribly and your family will sue Ford and the tire and suspension manufacturers even though people have been doing it for years with other IFS and SFA rigs with no ill effect as long as you have reasonable expectations of diminished handling and evasion.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thinks it will offer marginal improvement on an IFS vehicle. If it's between spending the money for the extra clearance of a sasquatch or a stock non-squatch badlands with disco you will in all likelihood get better off-road performance out of the extra clearance sasquatch 99.9% of the time. If it was a SFA vehicle, I would say it's worth the cost.

This is one of those topic that's not going to be fully answered until the bronco is tested independently. This is also an area I believe Jeep will remain on top by a considerable margin.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
It all depends on what you're building it to do. Would never use it myself, but if I was in the southwest I would. Up here in Appalachia,I am building a snow machine...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s a convenience feature, not an extra capability. As mentioned before, you can still DC your sway bar manually with a wrench and ratchet in about 5 minutes. So you’re not losing any functionality if you don’t get it.
I'd say with the availability of battery-powered impact guns now on the market that easily travel with the vehicle, disconnecting the swaybar is very easy. An impact gun is far less expensive than replacing an electromechanical device that sits under the cassis.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
aftermarket will make manual quick release at some point.
Sponsored