Sponsored

Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you remove the swaybar in a IFS vechice? Sure. Mine has been hanging in my rafters for years. Details on the Bronco TBD, but plausible to remove.

Will it be just a few bolts to disconnect & reconnect at the trailhead? No. Absolutely not.
I'm not talking removing the sway bar just undoing the links. It literally is two bolts. One on each.
Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not talking removing the sway bar just undoing the links. It literally is two bolts. One on each.
Right, Iā€™m with ya, but then isnā€™t in the way of the suspension linkage or at least it looked like it would potentially be on my Tacoma. Mine moved around way easy once unhooked. Unknown for the B.

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No kidding! Doesnā€™t the bar itself get it the way and bang around? Not to mention ether (donā€™t know WTF their called) attachment arms?
Do a quick YouTube/google video search for IFS sway bar quick disconnect. Most likely find Toyotaā€™s but itā€™s all the same idea.

Iā€™m in no way a mechanic. Actually the opposite of one. I canā€™t fix or work on anything. But I could do this.
it also helps to get connected with some buddies or a group of folks that have been doing this for a while. They can teach you all the tricks.

but a sway bar quick disconnect will be made for the bronco for cheap and it should be easy to do yourself in about 5 minutes.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right, Iā€™m with ya, but then isnā€™t in the way of the suspension linkage or at least it looked like it would potentially be on my Tacoma. Mine moved around way easy once unhooked. Unknown for the B.
It is unknown on the Bronco, or I at least I haven't looked hard, where they end up but typically you can ziptie them or bungee them out of the way. Possible on the Tacoma too. But yes...this is an "at your own risk" thing.

Reactions: RLW

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do a quick YouTube/google video search for IFS sway bar quick disconnect. Most likely find Toyotaā€™s but itā€™s all the same idea.

Iā€™m in no way a mechanic. Actually the opposite of one. I canā€™t fix or work on anything. But I could do this.
it also helps to get connected with some buddies or a group of folks that have been doing this for a while. They can teach you all the tricks.

but a sway bar quick disconnect will be made for the bronco for cheap and it should be easy to do yourself in about 5 minutes.
Plenty of swaybar link upgrades or the well documented behavior of full on swaybar delete out there. However the existence of a quick disconnect kit for a IFS (outside of full blown homegrown complete with zipties and a healthy ā€œmaybeā€) offered by a pro level Fab company would be news to me!

Sponsored

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would I be missing out on any capabilities if I choose a Wildtrak over a Badlands with Squatch? The only major thing I can think of is the sway bar disconnect.

What would I not be able to do if I chose to go without it?

From my understanding, sway bar disconnects matter much more on a solid front axle set up.

Edit: Shoutout to the mods for making better titles for my posts, I appreciate it!
Ford Bronco Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect? a459775f026e1dc6032f7c342b80ee40

Brock27

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the Bronco, the suspension was designed with disconnecting the sway bar in mind. It greatly increases the travel of the front suspension. I don't have pictures on hand, but I have seen pictures of the sway bar links and you can easily disconnect manually with a couple of wrenches. This means that the hydraulic disconnect is more of a creature comfort than a necessity.

The only other features you would miss with a Wildtrak over a Badlands are the Marine Grade Vinyl interior with rubberized washout floors with active drains and the Rock Crawl GOAT mode.

Disconnecting the sway bar is awesome for even mild trail riding because it lets your suspension do its job without being being limited and really smooths everything out. Granted, I have only done this on my Wrangler which has SFA, but it will improve an already more comfortable ride in the Bronco. Also, I manually disconnect my sway bar. It was annoying at first, but I bought some quick disconnects with my lift and now it takes maybe 1 minute per side if the pins are stuck.
re: marine grade vinyl, does anyone know anything about aftermarket seats? MGV seats is something I absolutely want but now I'm thinking a BD will be plenty for my needs. How difficult/costly would it be to throw in new seats? Will MGV seat covers accomplish the same thing?

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

re: marine grade vinyl, does anyone know anything about aftermarket seats? MGV seats is something I absolutely want but now I'm thinking a BD will be plenty for my needs. How difficult/costly would it be to throw in new seats? Will MGV seat covers accomplish the same thing?
Seats or seat covering?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if the Tacoma uses the same links as the 4Runner, but this guy make them for the 4Runner. He may have some for the Tacoma, but I haven't read through the thread in at least a couple of years.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/for-sale-suspension-wheels-tires/160563-sway-bar-links-eugene.html
Thanks for the link. Cool to learn this is happening. I guess I gave up on the idea so long ago I never looked again. The new link replacements with the mini boots look well made. Looks like he mostly just makes beefy link replacement options and still dabbles in the disconnect version. Unfortunately these solutions still donā€™t address the solution to tie back / secure the sway bar once disconnected. Unless I missed it with that forum his best suggestion remains as ā€œjust use a bungee cordā€.

Iā€™ll send this to a few of my buddies who are still running a swaybar. Honestly Iā€™ve never missed mine.

thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brock27

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seats or seat covering?
Both I think. If the seat covers aren't enough to protect against water getting under it, I'd be open to just swapping out the seats if possible. Haven't found anything on google about this...

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think the built in disconnect is great for people that are not going to make much if any suspension modifications. Buy it and drive it types. I have read on this forum that it is only for 'hard core' offroaders. I don't really agree. The so called 'hard core' folks are going to replace the suspension, make it stiffer, probably higher, and remove the swaybar in the process. These same people will not expect it to drive like a sportcar on the road so will not mind the extra body roll with the swaybar removed. Plus they will not have to worry about the computer outsmarting them and reconnecting the thing when they don't want it to.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond comes with MGV seats and rubber floors.

Brock27

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond comes with MGV seats and rubber floors.
Thanks, I mistakenly typed BL instead of Base since I was going back and forth between the two. Doesn't matter now anyway since I'll probably just go for the BL

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nope all that hydrastic trickery is going to fail somewhere too complicated
This is how i made dissconects in a bunch of stuff cut link in half weld piege of pipe that fits over and drill hole for 1/4 in pin done .
Ford Bronco Do I miss out on much without sway bar disconnect? Screenshot_20201201-194436_Samsung capture
Sponsored