Sponsored

Do large 32, 33, 35-inch tires avail on higher trims handle city potholes beautifully?

motown313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT4
I am in metro Detroit and I'm eying that Sasquatch package (35-inch tires, etc.) partly because the potholes here are soooooo bad (worst in the US). I assume, yes, such big tires handle potholes like butter? I also assume the trade-off of not feeling potholes is going to be louder at highway speeds? Thank you!!
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am in metro Detroit and I'm eying that Sasquatch package (35-inch tires, etc.) partly because the potholes here are soooooo bad (worst in the US). I assume, yes, such big tires handle potholes like butter? I also assume the trade-off of not feeling potholes is going to be louder at highway speeds? Thank you!!
Largely dependent on the suspension design not as much tires. Being the Broncos tow rating is so low I imagine it’s safe to assume the suspension should be very forgiving.
Not all large tires are noisy, I run 37 KO2s and they’re fairly quiet.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might want to watch the sidewall still. Take them at baja speed will probably not be the best idea...fun to watch I bet.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Stay with 17" wheels so you have the maximum amount of sidewall height. A 35" tire on a 17" wheel will ride way better than a 35" tire on a 20"-22" wheel.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Largely dependent on the suspension design not as much tires. Being the Broncos tow rating is so low I imagine it’s safe to assume the suspension should be very forgiving.
Not all large tires are noisy, I run 37 KO2s and they’re fairly quiet.
I don't know about that....define "largely".

I'd argue, regarding potholes, it's far easier to counter them with a taller side wall than suspension tuning. Up here in Chicago-land I have seen potholes actually destroy rims, physically knocking a HUGE chunk of aluminum out of it, -not mine- probably the worst pothole I have ever seen, on curve, on a highway, so it was in a blind ....cars were lined up at the side of the road with bent and broken rims. I swear, that one car was missing about 1/5 to 1/4 of the aluminum rim.

I have an Outback and a Legacy right now, both have shitty soft suspensions, very similar vehicles, most parts interchange. The Legacy is low profile tire (factory size) the Outback is (stock) like a 29"/30" tire , I'll take the larger sidewall/taller tire of the Outback every day and twice on Sunday.
The difference is night and day on freeze joints, buckled pavement and potholes, of course.

My Sentra and Legacy both had lower profile factory "car" sized tires.... they both had suffered bent rims- repeatedly. The Outback's taller small truck tire absolutely absorbs the potholes FAR better. Never a bent rim yet....

On the opposite end is my GM 1 ton standard cab pick-up, 1985 ...built when trucks were "tough", a time when men were men and sheep were scared, those springs are so stiff....those washboard freeze joints roads will rattle your fillings out, but even on 33"s, the tire just doesn't fall into the potholes nearly as much. To soften the ride, I lower the tire pressure from full load rating (80psi) to about 50, make that E rated sidewall flex. Did the same with my 01 F250 diesel. Aired up when I had a load...

So yeah, OP, a soft suspensioned Bronco riding on soft sided 35's will be like riding on a marshmallow.... :cool:

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
My brother had a car with low profile tires and before long he had multiple bent or dented rims. Now he has a suv with big aftermarket tires and he has been tire problem free. He drives the same roads.

I think the post saying tall side walls keeps the rims safe is true.
Sponsored